For some reason, no one makes blackberry cases that have a hard plastic screen guard, and no key guard, but only makes ones with press on films to cover the screen + keyboard, so I have to deal with it. With the defender and impact cases, how much harder to they make typing? I need a case that will make my blackberry almost indestructible from drops (Like my Speck Toughskin does for my iPod), but I am hoping it doesn't make typing a lot harder w/ the plastic film cover over the keys and screen. Thanks!

PS - Yes they are actually selling the cases now, hence why I made this thread before I bought one.

Also if anyone knows, does the Seido Innocase 360 for other models have a hard screen guard, or a thin "film type" screen guard? That one seems to be better actually, puts a lot less bulk onto the blackberry and the key overlay looks a lot better than just having a plastic film over the keys
    Last edited by davegrun; 07-20-09 at 10:29 AM.
    07-20-09 10:18 AM
    I had no problem typing on the curve with the Otterbox, the tour might be different as the key's feel very different

as for seeing the screen, if you apply it properly it is invisible, and if you REALLY want you could cut a peice of plexi glass and fit it to the otterbox as it would hold inside the frame, to protech the screen
    07-20-09 10:23 AM
    The Innocase 360 has a film type screen guard.
    07-20-09 10:42 AM
    The Innocase 360 has a film type screen guard.
    Is there any blackberry case at all that has no guard over the keys, but a hard solid screen guard? They make these type cases for iPods with a cut out for the screen and a hard plastic insert to put over it, and then a cutout for the scrollwheel where it is uncovered and unguarded. Don't know why they can't do the same w/ black berries?
    07-20-09 10:53 AM
    I have the OtterBox Defender for my 8900 and I can say this is one tough case!! I have no issues with viewing the screen or using the key pad. I love the fact it has the hard plexi cover over the screen AND protecting the camera/flash area. The clear film covering for the key pad in very tough and works well. Basically the only thing left exposed is my track ball.

I would recommend search the 'net well before purchasing. I found mine on eBay for $32 with S&H included vs. $40 + S/H from Otterbox.
    07-20-09 11:04 AM
    I have had OtterBoxes on 8830s and a 8330. While I found it much easier on the 8330, the one thing that I did find to have issues with is the clear protective film that goes over the screen. I liked it on the keyboard but over the screen after a while it would bubble and I'd have to reapply it. On the 8830s that I've had OtterBoxes on, I find it a little difficult to hit the keys on the edge of the keyboard becuase of the hard plastic.

What I'm doing with my Tour is this. I purchased a PhantomSkinz to go over the screen and will not be using the film from the OtterBox, just the surrounding case.

If you wanted to and are good with tools, you could probably find a small piece of thing plexiglass and cut it out to sit inside the OtterBox case though I think it may look a little silly. You'll probably have to use like gorrilla glue or something like that which will dry clear to adhere it to the OtterBox. Although I'm not sure you'll really need it because at my last job, when I got the OtterBox, we tested it by throwing it down the stairs and at a brick wall, it never hit the screen.
    07-20-09 11:12 AM
    I have had OtterBoxes on 8830s and a 8330. While I found it much easier on the 8330, the one thing that I did find to have issues with is the clear protective film that goes over the screen. I liked it on the keyboard but over the screen after a while it would bubble and I'd have to reapply it. On the 8830s that I've had OtterBoxes on, I find it a little difficult to hit the keys on the edge of the keyboard becuase of the hard plastic.

What I'm doing with my Tour is this. I purchased a PhantomSkinz to go over the screen and will not be using the film from the OtterBox, just the surrounding case.

If you wanted to and are good with tools, you could probably find a small piece of thing plexiglass and cut it out to sit inside the OtterBox case though I think it may look a little silly. You'll probably have to use like gorrilla glue or something like that which will dry clear to adhere it to the OtterBox. Although I'm not sure you'll really need it because at my last job, when I got the OtterBox, we tested it by throwing it down the stairs and at a brick wall, it never hit the screen.
    If you slam the phone against the corner or it falls onto something thing but solid, seems like it would still hit the screen as long as the width is less than the screen size?
    07-20-09 11:16 AM
    IF you really really need something hard for your screen

I suggest a fabrication of a hard screen attachment to the otterbox

you'll have about a 3mm recess from the edge of the otterbox to your screen, you could easily have a piece of clear plexi placed in that pocket to give you the security you are after with out blocking the case from fitting in the holster
    07-20-09 11:31 AM
    Hmm... I'm not quite sure I follow. My 8830s were dropped down two flights of stairs and still were working perfectly and thrown against a brick wall (not with 100% force) and still worked after that. The ONLY way I see anything happening to the screen is if it was dropped hard against a corner, like the corner of a table or something and it hit the screen directly. Other than that, there's no real need to put a hard-plastic / plexiglass cover in over the screen.
    07-20-09 11:31 AM
    I currently have the Otterbox on my 8330. And... to be honest, I feel that it's easier to type with the Otterbox on as opposed to off. I'd imagine it would be the same for the Otterbox on the Tour. As for the screen... it's a little difficult to get ALL the bubbles out from the film protector... but it's not that annoying.
    Last edited by ChaosShadow; 07-20-09 at 11:51 AM.
    07-20-09 11:49 AM
    Can any of you guys compare the Otterbox to the Innocase 360? The Otterbox also appears to add a ton of bulk to the device which the Innocase 360 doesn't do, and I also liek the key overlay better than just a film covering the keys, but I also have never seen or used either one
    07-20-09 12:09 PM
    Can any of you guys compare the Otterbox to the Innocase 360? The Otterbox also appears to add a ton of bulk to the device which the Innocase 360 doesn't do, and I also liek the key overlay better than just a film covering the keys, but I also have never seen or used either one
    The otterbox is tough, straight up. Ive owned several cases for the 8900 including silicone, leather and others. Have not tried the innocase though. The otterbox does add bulk to the phone but it truly protects everything and i have never seen a better design. Keep in mind that otterbox makes cases designed for military, police, ems, firefighter use so extra bulk is to be expected. With the defender i'm sure that my phone is always protected from drops, bumps, scratches, and even water for the most part. The case is not waterproof, but almost every area is covered except trackball, speaker, areas that would impede use of the device. Hard plastic covers the camera and screen and a nice clear cover over the keyboard that allows complete visibilty.

Hope this helps.
    08-26-09 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD