I am new to this model, it's pretty cool where it senses the holster to turn on and off - how does that work? Is it the magnet?
    07-14-09 06:10 PM
    You're correct. Magnet.
    07-14-09 06:11 PM
    To be more accurate, it goes into sleep mode...not off.
    Conserves power.
    07-14-09 06:13 PM
    If you want to be even more accurate, it's called standby mode, not sleep mode, even though it's essentially the same thing.
    07-14-09 06:15 PM
    To be more accurate, it goes into sleep mode...not off.
    Conserves power.
    speaking of sleep mode, i assume you can either press the top right button or just let it time-out in 30 seconds or so?
    07-14-09 06:17 PM
    No. To enter standby mode you must either put the device into the holster or press and hold the mute key on the top right. Letting the device time-out will do nothing, just turn off the display until you press a button. Two different things.
    07-14-09 06:23 PM
    No. To enter standby mode you must either put the device into the holster or press and hold the mute key on the top right. Letting the device time-out will do nothing, just turn off the display until you press a button. Two different things.
    i'm confused, i always thought letting it time out in 30 secs or so will put it into standby mode - just like all cell phones?
    07-14-09 06:30 PM
    BlackBerrys aren't just regular cell phones, now are they?

But no, they don't work like that. Just letting it time out (unless you have a password set) will just turn off the display. If you want to see the difference between the two, let the device time out and then press random keys and watch what happens. Then put the device in standby mode and press random keys and see what happens.
    07-14-09 06:33 PM
    BlackBerrys aren't just regular cell phones, now are they?

But no, they don't work like that. Just letting it time out (unless you have a password set) will just turn off the display. If you want to see the difference between the two, let the device time out and then press random keys and watch what happens. Then put the device in standby mode and press random keys and see what happens.
    thanks! i just tried as you mentioned - pushing on the mute button effectively locks the keyboard - but in terms of power savings are both ways the same?
    07-14-09 06:48 PM
    Most will argue that standby mode will conserve your battery more... I'm not sure if there are any official documents from RIM/BB stating this, but I tend to agree with them. I think it does help a tiny bit. I personally prefer standby mode because it acts like a keyguard. I don't have to worry about my phone doing anything in my pocket.
    07-14-09 06:53 PM
    I believe there is an app called autostandby that actually does put the phone in standby whenever the screen darkens.

I work in a hospital and they have some fairly strong magnets that are used to activate pacemakers. I've always wanted to sneak up on someone talking on a blackberry and hold the magnet next to it, just to see if it would hang up the phone. Yup, I'm one of those people.

Oh, and one more thing. I've heard of people using a flexible refridgerator magnet placed on their desk as a handy parking place for their berry, so its in standby but still handy.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by skyboxer; 07-14-09 at 07:06 PM.
    07-14-09 07:01 PM
    I believe there is an app called autostandby that actually does put the phone in standby whenever the screen darkens.

I work in a hospital and they have some fairly strong magnets that are used to activate pacemakers. I've always wanted to sneak up on someone talking on a blackberry and hold the magnet next to it, just to see if it would hang up the phone. Yup, I'm one of those people.

i was just about to ask if there is a checkbox option for it instead of hitting the mute function each time.
    07-14-09 07:03 PM
    Man I'm so happy someone else aked the holster question...

Been feeling really stupid trying to figure it out
    07-18-09 05:26 PM
    i love the standby feature in the holster,i'm just not really liking this new holster all that much.so i ordered the new holster from seido,gets released/shipped on monday.i had one for my curve and loved it.plus it does the same exact thing as the oem holster.
    07-18-09 05:38 PM
    So do most people use standby or lock the phone?

07-18-09 05:41 PM
    me personally,i use standby 99% of the time,if for some reason i have to keep it in my pocket i lock it just to be safe.
    07-18-09 05:58 PM
    So do most people use standby or lock the phone?

Locking the phone doesn't do anything for battery life. Standby has a substantial impact on battery life. Standby vs. no standby can literally add a day of battery life.
    07-18-09 06:02 PM
    I am new to this model, it's pretty cool where it senses the holster to turn on and off - how does that work? Is it the magnet?
    Ditto what everyone said including one more thing... Besides the magnet that puts it into sleep mode much like holding in the top right buttom called mute but the holster has a proximity sensor in it that depending on how you set the in and out of holster feature that's it in a nutshell...Enjoy!
    07-18-09 06:50 PM
    I use a holster. When I was using my Storms case (with my Tour) the auto standby magnet did not work so I put it in standby mode each time.
    Nice thing about the holster (magnet) feature is you can set up specific notifications for when it is in the holster.
    If not, I would recommend standby over keylock. Standby will stop your tour screen from lighting up everytime ANY key is hit. Keylock still has your screen light up to tell you the keys are locked there by draining the battery more.
    07-18-09 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD