So I've seen reports of people modifying storm 1 cradles to fit the storm 2. I've got a couple of cradles, and I was wondering what you did to make it work. I've seem the take a dremel to it, but to which part. Are you shaving down the sides so the phone will slide all the way down, or are you modifying where the micro usb connector is so so it is slightly to the right of it current position. if you've done this mod, any way you could take a quick picture of the finished cradle and upload it?

Thanks
    Ben
    12-08-09 12:12 PM
    This is a good question I have a S1 cradle laying around as well..
    12-08-09 12:17 PM
    if you have a seidio cradle you only have to remove the insert - not a perfect fit as it has slight movement after connecting - but works for me (I don't need to spend money on a new one)
    12-08-09 12:59 PM
    Just shave down the sides of your Storm 2, so that the cradle won't need to be modified.
    12-08-09 01:07 PM
    I thought they were the same dimensions??

Thats weird.. I held my S1 up to my S2 and it looked the exact same..
    12-08-09 01:22 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ What he/she said.

I bought a cradle for my s2 through crackberry. I forget which one, but it fit my wife's s1 like a glove. It works dont waste your time buying another.
    12-08-09 01:24 PM
    nope it doesn't work. I've got a storm 1 cradle and the storm 2 does not fit in it. There is a slight difference between the 2. I've seen other people that have modded the S1 cradle, but they didnt' really say what they did, just "took a dremel to it." I was hoping for some details.

Ben
    12-08-09 01:27 PM
    Well thats different I said I have a s2 cradle that the s1 fits. I read your comment wrong. Sorry about that.
    12-08-09 01:31 PM
    Just shave down the sides of your Storm 2, so that the cradle won't need to be modified.

Awesome....just awesome
    12-08-09 01:37 PM
    You need to find a way of creating about 1mm more play with the power socket and then you will be fine.
    12-08-09 05:53 PM
    Hammer and Chisel???
    12-08-09 06:21 PM
    I thought they were the same dimensions??

Thats weird.. I held my S1 up to my S2 and it looked the exact same..
    That charging ports are about -----><------- that far off from each other.
    12-08-09 06:56 PM
    Yeah, you're gonna have to bust out the hammer and chisel for this project.
    12-08-09 08:41 PM
    pull the whole thing apart and cut the hole out a little more, and move the mounting over for the port. That way you dont have a gross looking cradle from cutting it all to ****
    12-08-09 09:19 PM
    The cradle I bought for my S1 at BB works great, now I stretched it a bit when I had my skin on the S1...but it is snug, and after 3 weeks of using it there is not a single scratch on the top. Has never popped out on accident either.
    12-08-09 09:48 PM
    I have the same issue here. Take out the black insert and you should be good to go!
    12-08-09 10:25 PM
    I have the same issue here. Take out the black insert and you should be good to go!
    You did this to fit the Storm2?? What tool did you use to take out the black insert??
    12-18-09 12:55 AM
    Pick up a couple of the S1 charger at a locaal VZW store for $7.50 each and they were on Clearance for $9.99 each.
    This is what I did and worke perfectly. Remove the bottom rubber cover carefully and loosen the 5 screws with a Torx screwdriver. Remove the black shiny insert and cut of both left and right flanges up to the bottom angle by using a new/sharp utility knive. Put everything back to gether and you will not be able to see from the front view that the black flanges had been cut off (it is covered by the metallic cover). if you are looking for perfection, you can use a Dremmel tool and shave about 1mm of the left and right corner (vertical part only) of the bottom angel.
    Now i have a charger that will do both S1 and S2.
    Hope this help
    12-18-09 01:28 AM
    I just bought a charging dock from Vodafone and it advertised to work for both S1 and S2. They must have changed the design.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 02:34 AM
    I need to know how to modify the cradle as well...anyone know a good method?
    12-18-09 11:55 AM
    I modified my s1 silicone case to fit my s2. I had to cut out some of the bottom speaker opening and the bottom buttons. It fits pretty good so I don't think ill be buying a new case anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 02:43 PM
    When I got my Storm 2, I used my Storm 1 hard case and have the following idea. List your Storm 1 items on Craigslist/eBay take what money you get and go buy Storm 2 stuff.
    12-18-09 06:00 PM
    I am considering buying up a few S1 Cradles and using them as models/parts to create a cradle to fit an Otterbox Clad Storm 2. Biggest problem will be finding a way to accommodate the opened rubber cover for the charging port when sitting on the cradle. The rest will just be carving or molding plastic to the proper shape. That and making it look good.
    12-18-09 06:40 PM
    Ok, so I bought a cradle on ebay that was supposedly for the Storm2. Sure enough, the seller didn't know they were different. I didn't want to return it because it came from China and it was only a few bucks. I took a dremel to the right side (where the bottom of the phone would sit) and now it fits like a glove. I wouldn't dremel a BlackBerry cradle, but works fine for the Chinese ones.
    12-18-09 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD