10-18-09 10:51 PM
26 12
tools
    I'm a bouncer at a bar, and tonight (Oct 10th) there was a large fight outside the bar. Now, normally once its off the property of the bar, we don't get involved, but it was a special case, a person involved was a former staff member who we all still enjoy talking too, so we were out there making sure he didn't get hurt.

I was there, watching it take place, when one person grabbed a baseball bat from their car and started swinging wildly at another person who was mouthing off. The staff member mentioned above ran off. My boss, the lead bouncer, told me to call the police, which I quickly did. On the phone with the police, telling them to get there quickly, weapons are being used on unarmed people, the one with the baseball bat saw me, knew from the big "SECURITY" letters on my shirt that I was clearly calling the cops. Ran over to me, bat in hand, took a swing at my head, and successfully hit me.

It should be known that earlier on today, I was doing laundry and accidentally ran my bluetooth ear peice through the wash, and since it no longer worked, wasn't wearing it at the bar. The phone was up against my ear.

The phone case, took the full force of the baseball bat swing from an enraged drunken man at over 300lbs. I fell to the ground, dazed, when he then picked up my phone, threw it up in the air and swung at it to send the phone flying (like it was a baseball). Just as he was getting ready to smash my head in with the baseball bat, which would have killed me, the cops showed up and through their quick actions, tazed him. Those guns that shoot out the wires to taze him had not only saved my life, the phone case itself was the first thing to save me from getting a smashed skull.

For those who are wondering about my and others safety, we caught the whole thing on camera, and I'm 100% fine after being checked out by paramedics, no concussion, just a broken fingernail from where the tip of the bat hit one of my fingers.

Oh, and most importantly, THE PHONE SURVIVED! Not a scratch on it! Works 100%, all keys work, no cracks in the screen or case or anything! How crazy is that? This case, SAVED MY LIFE!
    Last edited by Wiltron; 10-11-09 at 04:59 AM.
    10-11-09 04:55 AM
    wow, that's amazing!!! BB FTW!
    10-11-09 05:06 AM
    Wilton....glad your ok...I think we all learned a valuable lesson here, NO bluetooth @ the workplace. Looks silly, that blinking blue light woulda been a nice target...even for a drunk azz. Fellow warriors....take care of yurselves. Be smart with the equipment you choose.

Read the Book...."ON Combat". For warriors and people who wanna understand the phycology of law enforcement/ peace keeper.

Also....what model of BB do you have! Because that is a special circumstance man....tee'd off on the BB and it's all good? Wow!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 05:26 AM
    Great story! Reminds me of my bouncer days. Even as a manager these days, I revert to bouncer mode when a fight starts. My car's tag is 86M ALL.

What case are you using? Which BB?
    10-11-09 06:03 AM
    That is amazing!

At least you have taser-equipped police over there, our police just carry a 1 foot long plastic stick. And even then don't bother using it.
    10-11-09 08:32 AM
    first off, glad ur ok. I know being a bouncer can be a tough job somestimes, esp when you have drunken assholes with baseball bats.

Secondly, glad the phones ok. What kind of case was it
    10-11-09 08:49 AM
    some of the police here (UK) are armed with tasers but i'd prefer shoot first ask questions later with all the crap going on in london.
    10-11-09 09:15 AM
    Pics or it didn't happen! Jk. Glad you're ok man!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 09:25 AM
    WOW! Glad you're ok! What kind of a case are you using?
    10-11-09 09:26 AM
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I have a Bold, hence why I posted it in the Bold section of the forums, and the case I have is the Otterbox Super Heavy Duty case, which I bought about a month ago for 70 bucks CDN.
    10-11-09 01:58 PM
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I have a Bold, hence why I posted it in the Bold section of the forums, and the case I have is the Otterbox Super Heavy Duty case, which I bought about a month ago for 70 bucks CDN.
    Wow, amazing! I use the commuter Otterbox for my phone and saw the heavy duty one that has the full insurance policy for any damage on the phone. That is outstanding man!

You should email the OtterBox people and let them know. I'm sure they'd love it!
    10-11-09 02:20 PM
    whoa! so this post REALLY is more of a kudos to the Otterbox! please move this post to the Otterbox Forum. (lol)

glad all worked out for you and your buds!

p.s. i know this is all said in hindsight, but couldn't you have out-maneuvered that 300lb tub-of-goo? you know, like run backwards, side to side, etc? also, he must not have been that good of a batter (maybe some lack of mobility, for your sake), because i think i would hit that phone with such force that it would have knocked the Bold clean out of the Otterbox sending it flying and getting damaged/busted-up for sure.

eh, i'm just thinking aloud. no need to address. i wasn't there.

again, glad all worked out and that tool was tased and taken in.
    10-11-09 03:28 PM
    p.s. i know this is all said in hindsight, but couldn't you have out-maneuvered that 300lb tub-of-goo? you know, like run backwards, side to side, etc?
    We're getting off topic here, but it's fun so I hope no one minds:

Trying to move AWAY from someone with a baseball bat (or similar) as a weapon is a REALLY bad idea. All of the speed and force is at the end of the bat. As you try and move away and get snagged by the end, it's going faster than any other part of the bat. If faced with someone with this kind of weapon, you should immediately move directly IN to them, right in their face. As you step in, even if you're hit with the bat, the end closest to the hands is traveling the slowest and will hurt you less (if at all) than getting hit by the end. Also, because the bat is coming in a circular motion, you have a much better chance of getting in front and in close to the person instead of side to side because of the amount of time it takes the bat to travel.
    10-11-09 03:37 PM
    damn thats balllin

man is there anything the bold can't do?
    10-11-09 03:42 PM
    We're getting off topic here, but it's fun so I hope no one minds:

Trying to move AWAY from someone with a baseball bat (or similar) as a weapon is a REALLY bad idea. All of the speed and force is at the end of the bat. As you try and move away and get snagged by the end, it's going faster than any other part of the bat. If faced with someone with this kind of weapon, you should immediately move directly IN to them, right in their face. As you step in, even if you're hit with the bat, the end closest to the hands is traveling the slowest and will hurt you less (if at all) than getting hit by the end. Also, because the bat is coming in a circular motion, you have a much better chance of getting in front and in close to the person instead of side to side because of the amount of time it takes the bat to travel.
    i hate to perpetuate the off-topic-ness, but your theory is spot on if it were a 1:1 situation and with a more "fit" adversary.

i was talking more about this guy's specific situation. if a big, fat (i assume), 300lb, guy was coming at you with a bat, rather than close the distance on this overly rotund fella and get into a grappling match with him on the ground, with his buddies around to possibly stomp me, i would have opted to get away from him and head to the other side of a parked car, pole, tree, etc., put something between me and him. because again, at 300lbs, i find it very difficult to imagine that he would be that mobile that he's be able to keep up with me.

but again, in a 1:1 with a guy who is relatively fit and alone, i'd close the distance as he takes his back swing or right after he misses with a swing.
    10-11-09 03:52 PM
    Let it be known, that the 300lb man was not fat.. rather, he eats coal for breakfast and poops out diamonds.. solid muscle.

Also, I was talking to the dispatcher on the other end of the phone at the time, giving a description of the vehicle and didn't see the bat coming. Thats why I was dazed, and fell down. I know that first thing you do is run towards the person, and with a simple off balance slam you can take down anyone, any size, regardless of how big or not-so-big you are.

For a quick self defense lesson from a seasoned bouncer:

Grab the neck, take his center of gravity off his feet by simply applying lifting pressure to his jaw line (lift up, even if you cant lift him off his feet, lift as much as you can to remove the balance from his legs/feet), then sweep his legs out from under him. Follow him to the ground with a knee on his neck (not a drop to the knee, that'll kill him). Apply pressure to cut off his air and render him unconscious.

If he's really belligerent, learn to fight with your elbows and not your fists. If people learned to fight with their elbows, fights would be over in seconds. Not only do you close the distance between you and the other person making their swinging fists unable to hit you with full force, iyou can get the force of your strongest punch 10 times over with a half power swing of your elbow. Make a fist with your strong arm (strong arm = left or right handed, whatever you are), place your knuckles into the palm of your other hand and swing your elbow out towards the other persons temple. Don't swing up or down, you loose a lot of power and can injure yourself.
    10-11-09 04:10 PM
    As a bouncer, the biggest advantage we have over anyone inside the bar, is we're sober you're drunk, your reactions are slow. Even if you don't know how to fight, you'll win 99% of the time from this simple fact. The best defensive thing you can do, is step to the side in the direction that the fist being swung at you is traveling. Think of it, when you swing your fist to punch someone/something, you stop applying power and start holding back once your fist is out infront of you. If you didn't, you'd punch yourself in the shoulder/ear.

If the person takes one step to the same direction the fist is being swung, all that power is lost, his center of gravity is off giving you an advantage to take him off his feet. Fight over.
    Last edited by Wiltron; 10-11-09 at 04:19 PM.
    10-11-09 04:15 PM
    ... he eats coal for breakfast and poops out diamonds...
    ewwww... and you know this fact because... (lol, j/k)

For a quick self defense lesson from a seasoned bouncer:

Grab the neck, take his center of gravity off his feet by simply applying lifting pressure to his jaw line (lift up, even if you cant lift him off his feet, lift as much as you can to remove the balance from his legs/feet), then sweep his legs out from under him.
    ... unless he's a seasoned grappler, then reaching out to grab him may not be your best choice. you're placing yourself in HIS world. but the chances are great that he is not.

for more tips, go to youtube and search for "bas rutten (a seasoned, psycho, former bouncer, as well as former mma fighter) self defense" and look for the vids of him in a bar situation. funny AND informative.
    10-11-09 05:16 PM
    i hate to perpetuate the off-topic-ness, but your theory is spot on if it were a 1:1 situation and with a more "fit" adversary.

i was talking more about this guy's specific situation. if a big, fat (i assume), 300lb, guy was coming at you with a bat, rather than close the distance on this overly rotund fella and get into a grappling match with him on the ground, with his buddies around to possibly stomp me, i would have opted to get away from him and head to the other side of a parked car, pole, tree, etc., put something between me and him. because again, at 300lbs, i find it very difficult to imagine that he would be that mobile that he's be able to keep up with me.

but again, in a 1:1 with a guy who is relatively fit and alone, i'd close the distance as he takes his back swing or right after he misses with a swing.
    In my previous occupation we used to do "21 foot drills". Holstered with the target approaching on a "runner" (mechanical target that slides towards you) we didn't do the whole please stop stuff as part of the drill merely start the target unholster the weapon, present it and fire.

The first 10 or so times you do that you'd be surprised how close the target was by the time you were able to get a CNS hit or a vital organ hit. And if the drill started with back turned the target was within the range of a fighting knife or a baseball bat type weapon.

In other words you'd be surprised at how fast someone can get up close and personal with you even when you are there waiting for it to happen.

I abhor violence so not going in to the whole grappling etc., etc. but suffice to say what ifs or I wouldas are completely different then when your health and well being is threatened.

OP did you hand get broken? I assume you were holding the phone up to your ear with your hand. If the bat hit the phone stands to reason it hit your hand first.

I hope your hand is ok. Your story is very interesting I am glad you are ok. You may want to consider a new line of work I am not sure the compensation is worth your health. A well swing bat hitting a hand and a blackberry against your head is a huge concussive force. I hope you went to the ER and hand Xrays done on your head while they put your hand in a cast.
    10-12-09 12:58 PM
    Hey OP! I hope you got this email:

Planet Otterbox

Planet OtterBox, the place where you can show off your latest OtterBox adventure from anywhere in the world. By submitting your photo and story you get the chance to win gift cards valued at $100 or a $150 OtterBox shopping spree online. There is one winner per month and top yearly submissions will win $1000.
    I think this story has to win at least something!
    10-15-09 09:24 AM
    wiltron i'm glad you are safe and the story is just amazing man. i'd def submit ur story to otterbox haha because thats just intense
    10-15-09 01:57 PM
    Pics otherwise it's a tall tale

Check out this thread (with pics)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-...erally-261906/
    10-15-09 02:23 PM
    yeah, i wondered about the quick mention of minimal hand injury and still being conscious after getting wacked (blindsided) in the head with a bat by "the hulk." i'm only 5'10", 190lbs and if i were intent, you wouldn't have a head anymore.

just a thought.
    10-18-09 04:32 PM
    Wilton....glad your ok...I think we all learned a valuable lesson here, NO bluetooth @ the workplace. Looks silly, that blinking blue light woulda been a nice target...
    Funny, I thought the original post was saying just the opposite, seems to me with bluetooth it would have been less obvious he was on the phone, possibly allowing for a completed call. I could be wrong but I thought that was the point he was making.
    10-18-09 05:20 PM
    Oh, and most importantly, THE PHONE SURVIVED! Not a scratch on it! Works 100%, all keys work, no cracks in the screen or case or anything! How crazy is that? This case, SAVED MY LIFE!
    Glad you are ok but, I think most importantly you are ok. Rim just dropped the 9700, the last model of you was born on your birthday! Good story, again glad you are able to tell it.
    10-18-09 05:33 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD