03-22-09 07:36 AM
44 12
tools
    Ok, this might be considered tacky by some, but it works.

I got desperate for something that would fit my application. I have a 1997 Camaro. The normal airconditioning vent type of mounts do not work as they rotate down and stick out and it gets too wobbly. So those are no good here and the type that fit a cup holder do not work as my cup holder is just a frame with a wire bottom since it slides out.

So I made one to fit my Cassette Player slot.

I took an old (sacraficial) cassette tape and the plastic case and broke the tabs off the back cover of the case, filed down the center gear holders a bit to fit the car over the cars radio buttons, CA glued the cover to the end of the cassette tape and applied the pickly part of a velcro strip to the cassette case cover. I used a sharpie on the cassette cover afterwords as the CA glue and ZAP Kicker used to cure it made the clear cover get white and wierd. It could be painted black to look better. The cassette is not useable after you glue it. The cover keeps the tape from going in all the way were it would engage the tape player.

Then I bought a hard case for the Storm from EBAY
    BLACK - HARD COVER CASE for BLACKBERRY STORM 9530 9500 - eBay (item 370132884215 end time Jan-17-09 16:16:19 PST)

Just search for " BLACK - HARD COVER CASE for BLACKBERRY STORM 9530 9500 " $7.61 and free shipping. That took 4 business days over Christmas to get it. Ordered on evening of Dec 22nd and got 27th.

Make sure you get the JET BLACK one and not a Rubberized one as the sticky Velcro tape does not stick on a rubberized one or on a flexible silicon cover.

Click the case on and apply the soft fuzzy velcro tape to the back of the STORM case cover. That way it does not stick you when you use it the rest of the time. (note: I used a sharpie on the edges of the cover as the inside is white and you can see the white edges a bit sometimes so hitting them with a sharpie makes it look better.)

You may need to apply another piece of fuzzy velcro tape to make it fit to the tape slot in the car tighter so that it does not fall out on a fast start in the car.

I also installed a AUX port with 3.5mm jack to plug into the STORM so it plays through the radio. (not shown)

Attached are some pictures.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-27-08 at 11:24 PM.
    12-27-08 10:42 PM
    more pictures:

Boy the finger prints on the black case really show up on the pictures!
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-27-08 at 11:25 PM.
    12-27-08 10:43 PM
    Hey if it works it works right. Does not look to bad. Good idea.
    12-27-08 10:50 PM
    I lolled!

Good idea, very creative.
    12-27-08 10:59 PM
    What no comments about my choice of Music for the cassette tape?

It was an old one my wife had.
    12-27-08 11:21 PM
    I lolled!

Good idea, very creative.
    Me too, lol
    I didn't know cars still had tape decks lol
    If it works for you then good. I will call you MacGruber (SNL)
    12-27-08 11:21 PM
    MacGruber - Well at least nothing blew up yet! LOL

It is a 1997 so it is old school with original radio, CD deck in rear and Cassette. But it still runs hard and has lots of torque (the Z28 Camaro).

I guess an even easier mount is a piece of pickly Velcro on the dash and stick right to it. But I thought that was a bit dumb looking. At least this way with the cassette I can pull the whole thing out and take it appart easy and stick the STORM in my pocket and the adapter in the glove box when I am not using it.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-27-08 at 11:34 PM.
    12-27-08 11:29 PM
    bitchin' camero (dead milkmen)
    12-27-08 11:43 PM
    "I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood" Wishlist- Pearl Jam

"He lives on my block
    He drives an IROC
    But he doesn't know who I am
    And he doesn't give a damn about me" Teenage Dirtbag- Wheatus

That's all I can think of for now...
    12-27-08 11:54 PM
    "I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood" Wishlist- Pearl Jam

"He lives on my block
    He drives an IROC
    But he doesn't know who I am
    And he doesn't give a damn about me" Teenage Dirtbag- Wheatus

That's all I can think of for now...
    I haven't listened to wheatus in a long time. I'm going to download some stuff from them now. lol
    12-27-08 11:56 PM
    Good Stuff!
    12-27-08 11:57 PM
    Lol that's great!
    Good job! =)
    12-27-08 11:57 PM
    damn...... very imaginitive
    12-28-08 12:00 AM
    lol-worthy haha
    12-28-08 12:13 AM
    Wow, nice job! Should come in handy for GPS.
    12-28-08 12:29 AM
    That is really creative.
    12-28-08 12:53 AM
    Redneck + Storm=
    12-28-08 12:57 AM
    Wow, nice job! Should come in handy for GPS.
    That was the thought, to use it for GPS navigation and also I use ORB for TV broadcasts as I like to listen to Fox news and Bill Oreilly and Shep sometimes.

Or to listen to a movie on long drives or old time radio broadcasts and the like on longer trips.

I also use it for listening to Vcast music in the car or just Play Music from my 16GB card I put in it.

Now if the Storm software gets a bit more stable it would all work a bit more reliably...
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-28-08 at 01:21 AM.
    12-28-08 01:19 AM
    Redneck + Storm=
    Sounds like someone is upset because they didn't think of it first. lol
    12-28-08 01:21 AM
    Redneck + Storm=
    To BADIC - Now my 57 Chevy Pickup truck could just use the velcro to the metal dash idea! (that fits the redneck comment!)

And now I have to decide to either put a cassette player (LOL) on the Harley or jerry rig something to work with my old Garmin mount on the Harley!

The garmin GPS works fine on the Harley but the STORM has a better bigger screen. Garmin software sucks. No traffic data, old maps and expensive. But it does work were the STORM does not, like in places there is not a cell signal, like up in the mountains where I hike and ride. The Garmin 60csx works nicely there. And the Garmin lets you use routes and tracks so you can backtrack.

The ideal thing would be the Google maps with a Map download option for the Satalite views for an area for when there is no Cell coverage to download them and a working GPS mode for Google maps. That would be so killer. Then i could see exactly were I was on a long hike in the woods. And it would need a track option. Someday......

The VZ Navigator does not work once you loose cell coverage. Even the BB maps has some issues but BB Maps seems to work while it is going and goes out of cell range if it has the maps already downloaded it can still function. But if you have to softreset the STORM as I did the other day on the trail as it hung, then you loose the maps and BB maps and Navigator can not do anything. They both report no cell coverage and do not display any data on where you are.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 12-28-08 at 01:36 AM.
    12-28-08 01:31 AM
    Tacky maybe...but that's how most geniuses start out. A few refinements, and a patent, and you could be a rich man!
    01-06-09 01:09 AM
    Sounds like someone is upset because they didn't think of it first. lol
    no, no ... he's right ... it's redneckish ...

or "ghetto" for the those of the non-caucasian persuasion, like myself.

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahah
    01-06-09 01:42 AM
    I think its a pretty good idea. Very creative. If there was a way of attaching it to a CD I might be able to get it to work in my truck. But for now I will just leave it in the little spot on my arm rest for phones and the such.
    01-06-09 02:05 AM
    it is actually, quite ingenious.

btw you're right too .. the fingerprints showing and all but I guess we either have to wipe it down constantly or not be bothered too much and pretend its not there.... same goes for my EeePc ... fingerprints galore!!!!
    01-06-09 02:44 AM
    ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

good for you ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

you should post it at instructables.com
    01-06-09 11:51 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD