09-12-09 02:57 PM
35 12
tools
    I have seen some stuff back and forth on these boards, but nothing that addresses what is a huge issue. I have edited my default profile to have "No Sound in Holster", for my phone, sms, calendar, etc. The Storm will vibrate, but still make sounds regardless of if it is in the holster or not. I am running .75 of the OS. Does anyone know how to fix this, or if there is a fix?
    12-12-08 11:13 AM
    this "in the holster" option only works if in fact your holster has a magnet that puts the blackberry to sleep.
    12-12-08 11:37 AM
    this "in the holster" option only works if in fact your holster has a magnet that puts the blackberry to sleep.
    Yes, it does, OEM from Blackberry. Same holster that I used for my 8830. After messing with this a little bit it seems that I have to use certain ringtones / alerts only? Has anyone verified this?
    12-12-08 11:39 AM
    ok, well i tried my storm in my oem 8330 sleeve, and it did not work. for the 8330 the magnet activation is at the bottom. on the storm it is in the middle. when i positioned the bottom of the sleeve about halfway up my storm, it indeed went into "holster mode". give it a try. i'm not sure how your 8830 holster is, so i don't know.
    12-12-08 11:42 AM
    Mine is in holster mode when it is all the way in. Try this, set your ringer to "Classic Ringer" on your phone, set it for "No Sound in Holster", set vibrate to "In Holster Only" put in you holster, and then call your number. It will vibrate based on the settings you have chosen, and them it will ring.
    12-12-08 12:57 PM
    yeah i've been playing around with my profiles today..none actually save? when i'm in vibrate only...i change everything....and save...now when i'm in medium trying to change and save it....it also changes my vibrate? wierd...any ideas....
    12-12-08 12:59 PM
    I can't believe no one else is complaining about this. As a buisness user having my phone go silent while I am in meetings or even just in the office is pretty critical. It is very, very annoying to have to switch profiles all day long, and even worse if I forget to take my silent profile off when I need to be alerted at night.
    12-12-08 01:41 PM
    I can't believe no one else is complaining about this. As a buisness user having my phone go silent while I am in meetings or even just in the office is pretty critical. It is very, very annoying to have to switch profiles all day long, and even worse if I forget to take my silent profile off when I need to be alerted at night.

When in Lock Mode, just hold down the MUTE key and it shifts to Vibrate Only mode. I can't solve your In Holster mode issue since I don't use that, but at least this will make it do what you want it to do and Vibrate Only when in the Holster or locked outide the holster.

Be aware it stays in Vibrate Only mode when you unlock, so you'll need to set it back to another Profile when you want it to ring. Hope this helps a little.
    12-12-08 01:49 PM
    When in Lock Mode, just hold down the MUTE key and it shifts to Vibrate Only mode. I can't solve your In Holster mode issue since I don't use that, but at least this will make it do what you want it to do and Vibrate Only when in the Holster or locked outide the holster.

Be aware it stays in Vibrate Only mode when you unlock, so you'll need to set it back to another Profile when you want it to ring. Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks, I did know that, and it is a nice shortcut, but I am on call quite a bit, and sometimes I forget to set it back to ring mode and vice versa. This really is a major bug and it isn't getting any face time. Maybe because the users here are more consumer oriented? I don't know as I am new to these forums, but if anyone out there has a fix for this, or knows if RIM has acknowledged this is an issue I would appreciate it.
    12-12-08 01:56 PM
    Man stuff gets posted quick here....
    12-12-08 03:14 PM
    The in holster settings don't work in .65 or .75. It's a bug. Fixed in .76.

One caveat - if you have a custom ringtone set for your contacts, it will still ring if that contact calls you. So it's fixed in .76, but not completely fixed.

And I agree with you - this is such a fundamental thing that other BB's do that I can't believe it's even a bug. RIM should have at least gotten this one right.
    Last edited by Shemp1973; 12-12-08 at 03:18 PM.
    12-12-08 03:16 PM
    Have you tried creating a custom profile instead of using the pre-loaded profiles? A previous phone I owned (think it was the moto q) would ignore specific settings if you edited the pre loaded profiles. However, if you created your own profile then it would work...

worth a shot
    12-12-08 03:20 PM

One caveat - if you have a custom ringtone set for your contacts, it will still ring if that contact calls you. So it's fixed in .76, but not completely fixed.

And I agree with you - this is such a fundamental thing that other BB's do that I can't believe it's even a bug. RIM should have at least gotten this one right.
    Thank you Shemp! This is what I was looking for, confirmation that I am not out of my mind and that this feature is indeed broken. Just like you I am dumb founded that this got missed. Absolutely nuts that a critical feature (this is critical in the business world folks!) that has been on every BB for as long as I can remember doesn't work right on this one.

I think you can guarantee this is the reason the Storm did not come with a holster. They new the feature didn't work so they couldn't bundle one with like they did on the 8800's and 8700's.
    12-12-08 03:31 PM
    I purchased an Iphone case from Fortte (side mount belt clip).
    To my surprise the case fits and the snap magnet closure also puts the storm to sleep. (the magnetic clasp is in the middle)
    12-12-08 03:34 PM

Hmm how bout no. My holster settings work perfectly fine. Maybe because I have a holster SPECIFICALLY BUILT FOR THE STORM.
    12-12-08 03:38 PM
    I have a holster specifically made for the storm and my sound settings do not work. I have it set to no sound in holster for emails and my phone just vibrated, then beeped. Sounds like it is a bug. I am on .75.

Spud.
    12-12-08 03:43 PM
    Hmm how bout no. My holster settings work perfectly fine. Maybe because I have a holster SPECIFICALLY BUILT FOR THE STORM.
    See, now this pisses me off. When I ordered my Storm I asked the Verizon rep for a case (after asking 10 times if she was serious about it not coming with one). She gave me one like the one for my 8820. (Coincidentally my old 8820 case was worn down and the clip had just broken) so I took it. A week and a half later when my storm arrives I find out that it doesn't put it to sleep and now I know why. Magnet in the wrong place. Does anyone know if the verizon stores have the correct cases in stock or do I need to hunt one down online?

Thanks!
    12-12-08 03:58 PM
    Hmm how bout you fail. It doesn't take a holster specifically built for the storm or any other BB to trigger the holster setting. It's the magnet that does it. You can trigger it with any freaking magnet, whether it's in a holster or not. And if you read my post you'll see that it DOES work for me. After .76. If you claim it's working on some OS other than .76, you're smoking something.
    12-12-08 04:04 PM
    Try what I posted, and you tell me that it works right, it doesn't. The case for the 8830 puts it to sleep just fine (you can watch it happen as you slide it in).
    12-12-08 04:12 PM
    So, if you do any custom vibrate options you will always get the ring in the holster. This is a bug. If I set the vibrate options to only in holster I do not get sound in the holster. If however you set no sound in holster, but choose a custom vibrate your phone will vibrate and then ring.
    12-17-08 04:41 PM
    Bump,

I am getting frustrated!!! I am having this problem when I do 2 things. If I change the vibrate to custom and for any contacts that have a custom ring tone. I have .113 loaded with the hopes this was corrected and to no avail, it has not. What's the deal?
    04-03-09 05:42 AM
    Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem. Sorry to say I haven't found a solution either. I'm running .103 and the problem is still there. I know my holster magnet is recognized by the phone because I can watch it go into sleep mode as soon as it slides in the holster. However it always rings as if it is not in the holster, rather than ringing with the "in holster" settings.

Would definitely be interested to hear if anyone has found a solution.
    04-06-09 12:31 PM
    I don't know if this will take care of the problem with sounds vs. holstering, but here are two possibilities that might help...

1 - You can set up your own Custom Ring Tones program in the "Sounds" option. When making your own custom sound option, you do the usual for each category and save. After this, it will show up along with the pre-programed options in the list when you click the "Sounds" button. At the least, it would expedite re-setting your sounds.

2 - NOTE: IF you click "custom" when you get to the Vibrate option, there is a whole menu of options for the vibrate function. This might take care of your situation. Worth a try.

PS - I run .75
    04-06-09 03:34 PM
    Actually, nothing works! New OS, nothing! Its frustrating! Actually talked to a VZW rep and she proceeded to inform me vibrate / ring is a new feature on the storm, what a fool! RIM should get this one right why would it be different for a new phone?
    04-24-09 06:44 PM
    I am a heavy experienced BB business user and have the same problem and needs. I am on .75 and have tried both my older 8830 cases and my new Storm Pouch that do sleep the device but don't stop the in Storm Holster from ringing when set to ONLY vibrate.

What I have found that DOES work is this; Set ALL your phone settings (and anything else that you want to silence just in the Holster) for Sound in Holster: No, set Vibration: Custom, set Length: Long, set Count: 10, set In/Out Holster: In Only.

This does seem to work well because by setting the 10 Long vibrates in the Holster, it buys enough time to defeat the ringer before it has a chance to go off.

Hopefully this will be fixed correctly in the next OS update.
    04-27-09 01:29 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD