I just switched devices from a 9700 and the phone doesn't recognize when it's in the holster. Vibrate while in holster ring setting is not working, and the screen doesn't turn off when placed in it.

Am I missing a setting, or do I likely have a defective device?

TIA. ,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 02:01 PM
    What holster are you using? The 9700 one or the torch oem one. The sensor was.moved in the torch so it wont work with other cases.

12-11-10 02:05 PM
    Using the 9700 holster - which worked in Best Buy when I tried the salesman's Torch in my holster.

12-11-10 02:50 PM
    The 9800 doesn't work in the Bold holster...at least not in 3 I've tried. It does work in the old 83xx holster though.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 12-11-10 at 03:58 PM.
    12-11-10 03:53 PM
    The 9800 doesn't work in the Bold holster...at least not in mine. It does work in the old 83xx holster though.
    +1 like he said, the sensor placement in the 9700 is at the wrong spot for the 9800.

As for the 83x0 holster on a 9800, that what i use and it works....most times (had a couple of random miscall inside holster)
    12-11-10 03:59 PM
    Hmm, went from a 9000 to a 9800 and the 9000 OEM holster worked just fine.

12-11-10 05:21 PM

Lol I forgot to clarify - the 9700 Bold/9630 Tour holster.
    12-11-10 05:32 PM
    by the way, hosler from 9700 will work, you just have to put your phone the other side (meaning that the front screen, should be facing the belt clip, because the magnet on those holster is on the other side of the belt clip, and the magnet detector on 9800 is on the back, so the back of your torch 9800 shouldn't face yourself) I'm using one right now and it work great, simple as that.
    12-11-10 05:33 PM
    by the way, hosler from 9700 will work, you just have to put your phone the other side (meaning that the front screen, should be facing the belt clip, because the magnet on those holster is on the other side of the belt clip, and the magnet detector on 9800 is on the back, so the back of your torch 9800 shouldn't face yourself) I'm using one right now and it work great, simple as that.
    My screen does face the belt clip and my body and it does not work. Maybe when I tried it in the store the screen was timing out. It will try a 9800 holster in the store & replace the phone if it doesn't work.

I knew a free phone was too good to be true. I may have to get a new holster.

12-11-10 05:48 PM

This work perfectly for me, as soon as my phone is in the holster the screen go black, I installed Sixtool and added sound on hoster in/out and I do heard the sound everytime, but if I put my screen face away from me, it doesnt work.
    12-11-10 05:55 PM
    You got your phone for free? Well then yeah I would say a holster is a small price to pay.

However...

As I have posted in another thread I keep my phone in a AGF GRT hard case and put that into my old 9700 bold OEM holster and it goes to standby just fine whether it is facing in or out.

Maybe I just have a good magnet in my holster?
    12-11-10 05:59 PM
    Like someone said, it's all about where the magnet is placed inside the holster and where the corresponding sensor is on the device...I don't believe they're the same for every model Of course it doesn't help that there are so many different styles of OEM holsters and pouches out there, and basically all modern Blackberries will fit in them.

The pouch and holster on the left are specifically for the 96xx and 97xx Tour/Bold and do not work for me face in or out. The one on the right is for an 88xx and works both face in and out.
    12-11-10 07:37 PM
    +1 ... same deal here. Standby works just fine for the 9800 in the OEM holster I used with the 9000, which is the one on the right in BB Guy's pic below.

The pouch and holster on the left are specifically for the 96xx and 97xx Tour/Bold and do not work for me face in or out. The one on the right is for an 88xx and works both face in and out.
    Don't know about the one on the far left, but I did buy the one in the center 'cos my older one is showing its age (luckily for a just whopping $2.50 on Amazon), and it doesn't work. I found another one identical to my older one (the one on the right), and it works as it should. At least one vendor on Amazon has it for $10.10 here.
    12-11-10 11:38 PM
    My Bold 9700 holster looks a bit different. There's no metal showing on the case...

I went by Best Buy last night to see if they had a Torch case I could try and buy. They were out of a $35 holster. They had a vertical holster that didn't work to put it in standby. That's good because I just found one on Amazon for $11.

I suppose I could keep using my 9700 holster and just press the Standby button. However, does the magnetic holster also help prevent the phone from coming out of standby after a call or message is received?? This is my question because yesterday I pulled the phone from the holster after such events and the screen was unlocked. Yesterday was my first day with the Torch and my battery was at 10% by the end of the day. My 9700 would usually be at 40-60%.
    Last edited by MyTechLife; 12-12-10 at 03:44 AM. Reason: spelling error
    12-12-10 03:38 AM
    I just switched devices from storm to curve 8520 and the phone doesn't recognize when it's in the holster, the screen doesn't turn off when placed in it.

Am I missing a setting, or do I likely have a defective pouch?

i have purchased a Original equipment manufacturer holster.
    09-12-11 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD