In holster, out of holster. What is the difference in the two settings?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 10:15 AM
    In holster is when you have the phone inside your holster.
    When your phone is within the holster, it uses a bit less radio, tus saving battery life. (I just found that out. )

11-28-10 10:30 AM
    Many, maybe all, of the RIM OEM holsters have a magnet in them that is detected by a switch in the BlackBerry. The OS monitors that switch to vary functions depending on whether the device is in or out of the holster. A common power saving technique is to suspend the device when it is in the holster. You can slso enable an auto-answer mode that answers the phone when you remove the BlackBerry from the holster.

11-28-10 11:16 AM
    Idk if vibrate takes up a lot of juice or if it even makes a difference. I have my loud profile set to vibrate out of holster. Since I never really feel it vibrate when its in it. Maybe if it just rings and doesn't vibrate it doesn't use that much battery juice?
    Last edited by DevJohnny; 11-28-10 at 12:50 PM.
    11-28-10 12:48 PM
    Idk if vibrate takes up a lot of juice or if it even makes a difference. I have my loud profile set to vibrate out of holster. Since I never really feel it vibrate when its in it. Maybe if it just rings and doesn't vibrate it doesn't use that much battery juice?
    There's a minimal difference in the amount of batthery required with and without the vibarate feature. I have my device to vibrate at all times, I can feel it in the holster and often do when I can't actually hear the tones. It is also handy for when I turn sound off and leave it on vibrate only which I often do in meetings, church, golf course and other times when I want it to be silent but I want to know that something has occurred.
    11-28-10 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD