I have my Curve 8330 in just a rubberized protective case. Is a "sleep" case really necessary? The only reason I even have it in a case is for protection against drops or other damage.

How does everyone else carry their BB?
    09-15-08 12:05 PM
    It does help save battery life, IMO. But it's not necessary. I used a skin on the weekends when I don't work. I use the OEM BB case during the week for work.
    09-15-08 12:09 PM
    Its personal preference. I know some people who don't use any form of BB protection. I don't feel comfortable with that. I use a hardshell case always and slip it into a belt pouch when I'm at work.
    I use the sleep function even without the pouch. Hold down the mute button. That way I don't make any accidental phone calls.

-randy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 12:41 PM
    I just use the Seidio black rubberized hard case and slip it in my pocket. I have my left convenience key set for my keypad lock. It's quick, convenient, and protected. Also, the keypad lock is easy on battery life. A "sleep case" just turns on keypad lock automatically, so it's no different then manually enabling it then putting it in your pocket.
    Last edited by knacman; 09-15-08 at 01:17 PM.
    09-15-08 01:15 PM
    "Sleep" is different than keypad lock. Keypad lock can't change your alerts like sleep can. And there's no unlock sequence for sleep mode. Just press mute or take it out of its case

-randy

09-15-08 03:00 PM
    "Sleep" is different than keypad lock. Keypad lock can't change your alerts like sleep can. And there's no unlock sequence for sleep mode. Just press mute or take it out of its case

-randy

You're right, "sleep" is different than keypad lock, but I've never seen a case that enables the sleep function, just the keyguard function. So like I said, it's personal preference.
    Hard case - you can manually enable sleep or keypad lock.
    Sleep case - automatically enables keypad lock. Or if you put it in standby before holstering, BB will come out of standby when un-holstering.

If you want it to sleep/standby, you still have to push the mute button no matter what case you have, unless of course I'm oblivious to an available "sleep" case that does this for you.
    Thanks for clarification Randy
    09-16-08 07:54 AM
    You're right, "sleep" is different than keypad lock, but I've never seen a case that enables the sleep function, just the keyguard function. So like I said, it's personal preference.
    Hard case - you can manually enable sleep or keypad lock.
    Sleep case - automatically enables keypad lock. Or if you put it in standby before holstering, BB will come out of standby when un-holstering.

If you want it to sleep/standby, you still have to push the mute button no matter what case you have, unless of course I'm oblivious to an available "sleep" case that does this for you.
    Thanks for clarification Randy
    most "blackberry" cases enable the "sleep" function (correct me if i'm wrong). the slip leather case that comes with the curve (well it comes with verizon curves anyway, sprint too as far as i know) enables the sleep function, as does the leather belt pouch i bought at the verizon store. it's simple to do; a small magnet in the case is all it takes. a lot of non-blackberry brand cases do this as well, such as the seidio holsters. you can check the seidio site here.
    i feel like i'm being unnecessarily belligerent. if you feel that way too, then i apologize. that was not my intent. i'm just trying to point out the very functional difference between sleep and keygaurd: the change of alert settings. if that doesn't matter to you then perhaps keygaurd is functionally equivalent. i can't speak for battery usage. perhaps there is a difference there.

-randy
    09-17-08 12:06 AM
    On my 8330 skin, bse and holster
    09-18-08 12:28 PM
    I just hit the mute button to put mine on Standby and throw it in my pocket. No need for a case. A Seido hard case came bundled with it; it looks nice, but makes it hard to hit the Mute button, and difficult to roll the trackball upward. I do have an Invisible Shield for the screen though.
    Last edited by Sonicjay; 09-18-08 at 02:32 PM.
    09-18-08 02:26 PM
    if you want to put your phone in standby, and don't want to buy a fancy case or push that button all the time, buy a program called auto standby, from crackberry.com . It only cost about 5 bucks and works very well in my opinion,
    09-18-08 03:31 PM
    I have been using the keyboard lock and it works well for me. I mostly carry my BB in my handbag when not in use and I'm out. When I'm home it sits on the table.
    09-18-08 07:15 PM
    On my curve, I use nothing except careful handling.
    09-18-08 09:42 PM
    In the case, unless I'm at my desk, then it's sitting on the desk.
    09-28-08 10:31 PM
    Cases aren't necessary but they can be kind of cool. I don't use mine for protectino personally - just like the way it looks. I change it up every month or so.
    10-09-08 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD