I am only going to list the headphones that I bought you could do this with other brands but this is the best solution for me.

I used Shure SE210 headphones for this project the main reason is they sound freaking awesome and they come with a 18inch headphone to the 3.5mm male plug and also a 36inch 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male extension plug and that makes them perfect for this project.

You will need the original earbud that came with your 8350i and be willing to hack it up a bit witch shouldnt be a problem because if you actually use that thing and like it you could be a moron LOL just kidding.

First you need to get a small screwdriver and gently pry the cover off of the original nextel earbuds right in the middle of the cord where the lil button is. You can now take both sides of the plastic cover off of it and you will see that on 1 end there are 4 very small wires leave that end alone. On the other side you will see a lil red blue and uncoated wire soldered to the little board make a note where the red and blue are located so you dont forget. (red is closet to the mike uncoated ground is in the middle and the blue is farthest away from the mike.

Now you are going to need a soldering iron if you dont know how to use 1 find a friend that does you need to unsolder the 3 red blue and ground wires

Now you need to figure out how long you want your 3.5mm plug to be and cut the female end off at that length. (I made mine about 7" long) strip back the coating and expose the wires inside you will see a red white and unshielded ground inside.

You will need to take the lil rubber wire mount grommet off of the old earbuds it will take a little hard pulling to get it off but it will come off. Now you will need a small drill bit about the size of the new wire from the sure extension that you are going to run through it and run that bit through it to widen the hole so the new wire fits through it.

Now its time to solder in your new wires only strip the coating back about 1/2" or less so the wires just reach the solder board and solder the red to the same place the old red wire was and the white to the same place the old blue wire was and finally the ground to the middle pad on the board.

Now put the board back into the plastic case and set the rubber grommets in place and put a very small amount of superglue on the edges of the case to hold it together permanently and you are now done this will allow you to use any 3.5mm headphones in the new adapter you just made and you have the same functionality of the original earbuds that came with your phone.

I am including a couple pics of this setup for you to see and if anyone needs this done and dont feel comfortable doing it I will do it for you for free as long as you pay the shipping both and send your original earbuds and the headphones you want to use. If you use earbuds other than shure you will not have a universal adapter unless your new headphones have the same type extension wire like the shure se210 does.

Last edited by MuDDuQ; 04-28-09 at 04:43 PM.
    04-28-09 04:39 PM
    I wish I could use my Bose earbuds. They sound great on Ipod and PSP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 05:42 PM
    I believe there is a converter available.
    04-28-09 05:46 PM
    ya but what he did you still have the function of the call button. thats pretty sweet.

on another note, i think this will get moved to a different forum, but i will leave it here for a bit.
    04-28-09 05:50 PM
    The call button works exactly as it did from the factory and i openend up my options for what speakers I want to use to play the music. I almost bought the sedico adaptor but this is much better in my opinion.

I wish I could use my Bose earbuds. They sound great on Ipod and PSP
    As far as the bose phones go you can use them too if they have a 3.5mm plug you would just have to find a 3.5mm female adapter to wire into it. Any 3.5mm stereo headphone extension wire would work for you you just would mabey want to concider shortening the other end that has the 4 wires or you may have 6 feet of headphone cord going on there.
    Last edited by MuDDuQ; 04-28-09 at 09:53 PM.
    04-28-09 09:42 PM
    But doesn't the end have to be compatible? the male jack? I have tried to use a old 3.5 set of head phones and all it did was just whistle and whine in my ear! Horrible experience! whats the solution for that?
    04-28-09 09:49 PM
    Here is another picture of the entire setup all put together
    04-28-09 09:51 PM
    But doesn't the end have to be compatible? the male jack? I have tried to use a old 3.5 set of head phones and all it did was just whistle and whine in my ear! Horrible experience! whats the solution for that?
    The whistle you were getting was because you were trying to use a 3pole adapter in a 4 pole jack what I did was take the original 4 pole plug that came with the phone and adapt it to use any 3.5mm headphone and not squeel
    04-28-09 09:55 PM
    here is an example of a headphone extension you could use to make you own just like I did ebay item number 270381389057 New 3.5mm audio stereo headphone M/F extension cable 1M - eBay (item 270381389057 end time May-27-09 10:01:32 PDT)
    04-28-09 09:57 PM
    fixed your link up!

The whistle you were getting was because you were trying to use a 3pole adapter in a 4 pole jack what I did was take the original 4 pole plug that came with the phone and adapt it to use any 3.5mm headphone and not squeel
    Oh?
    Well that makes since!
    Thanks!
    04-28-09 10:00 PM
    fixed your link up!

Oh?
    Well that makes since!
    Thanks!

Thanks

I didnt really explain that very well before so I will take another shot in case someone else dont understand. All normal headphones are just like any other speaker they have a positive and a ground with a headphone it has a right wire a left wire and the common grounds run toghther. IE the red wire the white wire and the un shielded wire. With the nextel 2.5mm phones there is a 4th barrel on the plug for the phone answer button that is why the normal 3 barrel 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapters wont work for us nextel people.

Again if anyone wants to do this and you haVE problems or just dont want to tackle it PM me and I will send you my address and you send me your original earbuds and get an extension wire like I posted before and I will do it for you at no charge
    Last edited by MuDDuQ; 04-28-09 at 10:13 PM.
    04-28-09 10:11 PM
    I love in-ear buds... and found a FANTASTIC solution. For about $30 I picked up a set of Sony buds at my local Frys (in Georgia...) in the cell phone section, and they came with a HUGE PLUS.

They too have the one-button pickup (and microphone) in-line with the ear buds... but the buds are actually two separate pieces. The piece that connects to the phone obviously has the 2.5mm jack and he female end has the answer button and a connection for the buds themselves. The buds have a 3.5mm jack...

So, not only do I have a great sounding pair of buds, but I can use the end with the button to plug in my cassette adapter to play my berry in the car! To make it even better, when I'm listening to music/podcast/audio books (Thanks again, PodTrapper!) in the car and a call comes through, I just hold up the microphone and hit the in-line talk button. The sound continues to come through my car stereo.

So, for $30 I got:
    - New Sony headphones that fit my Crackberry...
    - 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for my car stereo...
    - "wired" connection to hear my conversations through my car speakers

Sadly, I don't know the model number... but they were at Frys in the cellular section.
    04-29-09 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD