02-20-09 01:46 PM
32 12
tools
    Thanks ChuckH0308, you actually read my original post. That is strange that your Griffen/retractable cable combo works. Are you 100% sure though? In my case the lightning bolt comes on for a minute or so, then it goes out and stops charging.

For those who didn't read my whole post, if Blackberry or Verizon for that matter had a travel charger (and yes I have had the folding blade chargers for ever) that had some retractable cable solution or even a very short cable I would have definitely gone that route. Between my Blackberry, Ipod, Pulse Pen, Navigon GPS, and WD passport HD, not to mention my Kensington laptop brick and misc USB/mini/micro cables I have more wires than the electric company!
    I will look into it a little more tomorrow. I had it hooked up for about half an hour today and the lightning bolt was still on. I'll try and drain the battery a good amount before I try it again and then see if it will charge it all the way full.

I know what you mean about cables. We must have about 15 iPod sync cables around (4 iPod Classics), half a dozen cords for each phone, computer cables, stereo cables, you name it we have it!
    02-19-09 01:49 AM
    Quoted for being right.
    It cost me like $2 and it works with all my old BB chargers.
    Get the adapter.
    I'm ordering this from Amazon right now
    02-19-09 12:01 PM
    I'm ordering this from Amazon right now
    i bought some too! awesome find! i've been using these since I had my moto Q back 3 or 4 years ago and I was starting to tally up the number of chargers I was going to need (not to mention the $$) to replace them...awesome!
    02-19-09 05:21 PM
    It lets you charge but the charge lasts 1/4 the duration, the phone becomes erratic
    Don't do it.
    02-19-09 05:35 PM
    I did it with my old razer Motorola charger, 550 ampers instead of 700
    02-19-09 05:36 PM
    Just wanted to update you on the Griffin Power Block. I drained my battery about halfway yesterday so there would be something to charge. Instead of putting the Storm in it's cradle when I went to bed I hooked it up to the Motorola adapter/retractable cable/Griffin setup. I let it charge all night while I was sleeping. This morning the alarm on the Storm went off as normal and I canceled it while it was still plugged in. The phone was operating normally and the battery was fully charged.

I know that probably doesn't help you, but it does raise a question. Why is it working for me, but not you? It almost makes me wonder if some of the batteries are actually causing problems somehow? It does seem that there is an unusually high number of bad batteries in the Storms, so could it be possible that the battery could actually be having a disagreement with the charger? Do you know anyone else with a Storm who would be willing to loan their phone to you in the interest of science? Or at least loan you their battery? That might at least tell you if the problem is with the charger or not.
    02-20-09 12:28 PM
    Just wanted to update you on the Griffin Power Block. I drained my battery about halfway yesterday so there would be something to charge. Instead of putting the Storm in it's cradle when I went to bed I hooked it up to the Motorola adapter/retractable cable/Griffin setup. I let it charge all night while I was sleeping. This morning the alarm on the Storm went off as normal and I canceled it while it was still plugged in. The phone was operating normally and the battery was fully charged.

I know that probably doesn't help you, but it does raise a question. Why is it working for me, but not you? It almost makes me wonder if some of the batteries are actually causing problems somehow? It does seem that there is an unusually high number of bad batteries in the Storms, so could it be possible that the battery could actually be having a disagreement with the charger? Do you know anyone else with a Storm who would be willing to loan their phone to you in the interest of science? Or at least loan you their battery? That might at least tell you if the problem is with the charger or not.
    Thanks. I had a small window to try out my Griffin and USB cable on a coworker's Storm while at our corporate office this week but ran out of time. I won't be back there for several weeks so in the meantime I may go the route of calling Griffen or possibly RIM support to see what they might say.
    02-20-09 01:46 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD