02-20-09 12:46 PM
32 12
tools
    I think I have found a real quirk with the Storm micro USB charging capability. I have personally purchased two different aftermarket chargers (for specific reasons) that the Storm refuses to consistently charge off of. Here is the problem. I travel a lot and have many cables to tote a round. Now that RIM, in their infinite wisdom, forced me to add yet another cable to my stable (micro USB). Growing tired of the rats nest that the usual BB charging units becomes at the bottom of my briefcase I decided to find a retractable solution for charging. Way back in December I could only find a rather suspect retractable charger (price-wise) from the cellphoneshop.com (sorry CB won't let me embed links yet).

I decided to go for it and all seemed well for several days until one morning my alarm did not go off and my phone was dead. Luckily I had a USB cable and was able to get my phone back up after 30 minutes connected to my laptop. Since it charged via USB I assumed the cheapo charger died. So, undaunted I decided to go with more reputable solution. What I settled on was a retractable USB cable and brand name USB power brick. First I bought a Seido retractable USB cable. Taht cable works great to sync and charge from the laptop. Then I bought a Griffen Power Duo Universal USB charger brick.

Thinking that surely the if the Seido cable worked using plain old laptop power that connecting it to the Griffen duo would work fine. Well, I was wrong. When I plug in the Seido/Griffen into the Storm the charging indicator comes on, however after about 1-2 minutes it goes out. I found this out again when my alarm failed to go off. As a side note, the Griffen DC cigarette lighter unit works fine. So today I had to find a local Verizon store and pay too much money for good old fashion travel charger.

I am at a loss. I cannot find any specs on the Blackberry site for input mAh/voltage range and the the Griffen site states no specific limitations to charging. Anyone have a clue why the Storm might stop charging when connected via a valid USB cable to one of these devices?
    02-17-09 10:57 PM
    Now that RIM, in their infinite wisdom, forced me to add yet another cable to my stable (micro USB).
    Actually, RIM is kinda ahead of the curve with the micro USB charger

Greens Give Thumbs Up To GSMA's Universal Phone Charger - The Channel Wire - IT Channel News And Views by CRN and VARBusiness
    02-17-09 11:11 PM
    Unfortunately the Storm seems very temperamental about chargers. I only get the OEM ones as they're guaranteed to work. Other users have reported screens going wierd, non charging, etc with aftermarket chargers. if you want a cheap, relatively more portable charger, but still OEM, look for the folding blade micro USB travel charger from RIM. I got mine for about $11 shipped from Discountcell.
    02-17-09 11:19 PM
    You know, now that you guys mention quirky screen activity with after market chargers... I was using a car charger I got with the car cradle while using the navigation, the screen had a slight flicker. I thought it was the BB... But perhaps it was just the car charger?
    02-17-09 11:39 PM
    You know, now that you guys mention quirky screen activity with after market chargers... I was using a car charger I got with the car cradle while using the navigation, the screen had a slight flicker. I thought it was the BB... But perhaps it was just the car charger?
    It's quite possible. I work for a VZW agent and we had several people come in with issues with aftermarket chargers when the phone first came out. We now only sell OEM's for the Storm. One of our VZW reps even fried a Storm with an aftermarket car charger

p.s. go chargers!
    02-17-09 11:41 PM
    Actually, RIM is kinda ahead of the curve with the micro USB charger
    No pun intended, obviously.
    02-17-09 11:51 PM
    Wow, didn’t even realize I did that. LOL
    02-17-09 11:55 PM
    I hate to say it but...... why not buy OEM? How many aftermarket mistakes does it take before you come to your senses?
    02-17-09 11:55 PM
    I hate to say it but...... why not buy OEM? How many aftermarket mistakes does it take before you come to your senses?
    agreed, and considering how cheap you can find it if you do a lil searching on the internet, it's not too much more tahn even the cheapy aftermarkets.
    02-18-09 12:05 AM
    I wouldn't even think of trying to save a few dollars on an after market charger and take the chance of frying a $500 phone.
    02-18-09 09:41 AM
    Re: "portable charger, but still OEM, . . . folding blade micro USB travel charger from RIM. . . .$11 shipped from Discountcell", can anyone provide a link? A search turned up many similar names. Thanks
    02-18-09 10:02 AM
    I have lots of chargers for my old bb and just bought adapters for them mini usb to micro I have been using them for over a month now with no issues most of the actual chargers are oem the adapters are made by motorola.

they are about $1.92 each I cant post the link yet check the following post I will be at My quote for post to be able to post links lol
    02-18-09 10:28 AM
    02-18-09 10:29 AM
    Were you by any chance wearing polarized sunglasses? Sometimes people have mentioned having issues with polarized glasses in the car.
    02-18-09 10:30 AM
    Really?

Aftermarket chargers have a tendency to fry storms? That isn't a very good product at all. I hope that guy had his phone replaced for free by the company that manufactured the charger, since if it has happened once there is a good chance it is going to happen a lot more.

that is sketchy... Looks like I am sticking with chargers that are from Blackberry.
    02-18-09 10:38 AM
    Hey this is really interesting. I went on ebay and for something cheap like $13 I bought a car charger wall charger and USB cable. I connected the wall charger to my dock and put the phone in it last night. As soon as I did, I couldn't click the screen to enable bedside mode. If I pressed a physical button the unlock screen would come up but clicking it did nothing. Id' take it out of the cradle and only certain areas of the touch screen would actually respond. Pulling the battery would fix it, but as soon as it went back into the cradle, same thing it wouldn't respond and I don't think it even charged. I pulled the battery, put it in the cradle, went to get dinner came back maybe 45 minutes later and it was still in red saying low battery even though it had the charging bolt. I used my OEM charger and it charged no problem. (As a side note, the ebay auction did say charger for BB storm, wasn't just a micro usb generic charger.)
    02-18-09 10:51 AM
    I have been using both oem BB and Motorola chargers with both my 8830 and now the Storm. After getting the Storm I took a close look at my charger collection and have found that some of the chargers even one of the BB wall chargers have only 500-550 mah capacity where as the Storm charger has 700 something. I will only the use the chargers that have a rated capacity that matches the Storm oem charger. Curiously my wife's LG Chocolate III charger works great with my storm.

BTW I bought 4 of the Motorola mini to micro usb adapters off Amazon so I can use the old chargers and usb cables.
    02-18-09 11:33 AM
    (As a side note, the ebay auction did say charger for BB storm, wasn't just a micro usb generic charger.)
    Unless it has RIM on the charger itself, it's a generic. Ebay auctioners put that on there, but unless it says OEM it's generic. It's one of those things they do to get people to buy it because they think it's made for the phone.
    02-18-09 01:29 PM
    Quoted for being right.
    It cost me like $2 and it works with all my old BB chargers.
    Get the adapter.
    02-18-09 02:01 PM
    I had a similar experience also where I bought a cheap retractable car charger for $3 off of some cell fone website and after a few weeks, it stopped charging. I think I'm going to stick with OEM from now on...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 02:05 PM
    Interesting, I have been recommending the Griffin Power Duo as one of the few non OEM chargers I would use with the Storm. Apple sells it for the iPhone and we've found that it works well with both the iPhone AND the Storm. Normally I only use the OEM chargers anyway, but I did test the Griffin and it worked fine. However, I also have a retractable cable made by Belkin (IIRC) with one of those Motorola mini to Micro USB adapters attached that I keep in my computer case for a real emergency and I haven't tried using that with the Griffin charger. Perhaps the retractable USB is where the problem actually is. They are pretty thin, so maybe they just aren't handling the power well when attached to a charger instead of a regular USB port? The Griffin chargers aren't cheap...I never really considered them as a poor option.

OK, I just plugged the Storm into the Griffin Power Block via the retractable USB/Motorola adapter cable. Seems to be working fine.
    02-18-09 05:19 PM
    Quoted for being right.
    It cost me like $2 and it works with all my old BB chargers.
    Get the adapter.
    +1 These work like a charm for me too. Saved me tons so I didn't have to buy a new one to travel, for the office, for the car...

We should sticky a post on these for any new Storm users who are coming from one of the many older mini-usb devices.
    02-18-09 06:26 PM
    Interesting, I have been recommending the Griffin Power Duo as one of the few non OEM chargers I would use with the Storm. Apple sells it for the iPhone and we've found that it works well with both the iPhone AND the Storm. Normally I only use the OEM chargers anyway, but I did test the Griffin and it worked fine. However, I also have a retractable cable made by Belkin (IIRC) with one of those Motorola mini to Micro USB adapters attached that I keep in my computer case for a real emergency and I haven't tried using that with the Griffin charger. Perhaps the retractable USB is where the problem actually is. They are pretty thin, so maybe they just aren't handling the power well when attached to a charger instead of a regular USB port? The Griffin chargers aren't cheap...I never really considered them as a poor option.

OK, I just plugged the Storm into the Griffin Power Block via the retractable USB/Motorola adapter cable. Seems to be working fine.
    Thanks ChuckH0308, you actually read my original post. That is strange that your Griffen/retractable cable combo works. Are you 100% sure though? In my case the lightning bolt comes on for a minute or so, then it goes out and stops charging.

For those who didn't read my whole post, if Blackberry or Verizon for that matter had a travel charger (and yes I have had the folding blade chargers for ever) that had some retractable cable solution or even a very short cable I would have definitely gone that route. Between my Blackberry, Ipod, Pulse Pen, Navigon GPS, and WD passport HD, not to mention my Kensington laptop brick and misc USB/mini/micro cables I have more wires than the electric company!
    02-18-09 10:31 PM
    This is a know bug when using the Storm in bright sunlight - something about the auto dim circuity getting overloaded by too much sun.
    02-18-09 11:01 PM
    Yesterday my Storm didn't charge with the OEM car charger. :/
    02-19-09 12:26 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD