About a week ago I noticed two small cracks in my blackberry. One in the top right corner and one in the left. Yesterday I was checking my email and noticed I am now missing a CHUNK of my blackberry! (about the size of a pinky nail) I will admit I dropped it once (below knee height) about a month ago, but there was no damage (that I could see).
    Two questions...
    Has anyone else had problems with cracking?
    If I replace the casing, will that void any warranties?

Thanks!
    03-16-08 11:52 AM
    Here's a place to get parts:
    8310 - Samsung, NEC, Nokia, 3G, Panasonic, Dopod/O2, Tools, Motorola, Alcatel, Microsof
    Pretty sure it would void warranty, If anyone can tell.
    03-16-08 11:54 AM
    And once you get it fixed, get yourself a protective case so it doesn't happen again!

BlackBerry Cases
    03-16-08 12:06 PM
    Thanks for the info!

I ordered a case as soon as I saw the hole!

Also, is it hard to replace myself? Do I need any special tools?
    03-16-08 12:23 PM
    On the curve, you will need a T5 torx, usuallu available wherever you purchase the case from, although i bought a tiny 6in1 Torx from Home Depot, for 5bux. the tips are interchangeable, and it has a 6 different size torx.
    03-16-08 12:26 PM
    Can I buy the replacement cover in a different material (metal, rubber) that is a little more durable?

Thanks again for helping!
    03-16-08 12:26 PM
    You can't get the actual phone faceplate in any other kind of material, but there is MANY different options for cases, you can get a leather holster, an Otterbox, a full body skin, hard plastic case, i personallu use a Best Skins Ever Home Page full budy skin, with either a Speck hard case, or a BB rubber skin.
    03-16-08 12:32 PM
    get some protection!
    03-16-08 02:52 PM
    My case started to bubble 1-week after purchasing on both top corners, called carrier and they said bring it in, two days later the bubbles on the case ruptured and cracked (never dropped).

They now say that they cannot replace due to physical abuse so they are charging me $374.00 for a replacement.

Anyone else who has had a cracked curve case please contact me
    03-19-08 05:18 PM
    Bubble?? Wow... this is new. As for me, I always keep my curve in its holster. Even when charging, I keep it half inserted in the holster. Have read many posts about the vulnerability of the Curve casing, so I am taking extra special care. Now, just waiting for the skin I purchased to arrive (ordered from US, will arrive in 10 days)...
    03-19-08 07:21 PM
    I had a similar problem, after only a month I noticed a small crack on the upper right corner of the case. I have NEVER dropped it and it's lived in its big old clunky otterbox its whole short life. I really think this is some kind of defect but my only recourse is to order a new case from cnn.cn. Luckily this isn't very expensive, but actually replacing it may test me.
    03-28-08 02:24 PM
    I haven't heard of Curve cases cracking...I doubt this is a manufacturing defect, perhaps just bad luck on your part. Cases are cheap enough to order and easy to install. There's an instructional video on YouTube and you can search these forums for a few more details on taking it apart.
    03-28-08 04:51 PM
    My OtterBox case really protects and it doesn't crack. LOL if it does crack though, that should have happened a long time ago. Only God knows what I do to my poor BlackBerry - I'm a klutz! I've heard (and now believe) that the OtterBox cases are the toughest protection out there.

I got mine from Semsons & Co. Inc. at a really good price. And it was free shipping too! Here's the link to the page for coupon codes (just scroll down a little bit): semsons.blogspot.com
    04-02-08 05:25 PM
    My less then a week old curve began to seperate today and it has never been dropped. I am unable to find a replacement case yet for the 8330.
    05-07-08 06:29 PM
    I am convinced now that there is a defect with the faceplates on the Curve. After having mine for 3 weeks I noticed a tiny crack on the top right corner. I immediately called TMO and arranged for a replacement, and before it arrived, 2 more cracks appeared. I had not dropped my phone at all. Well, now I have had the replacement for about 1 month, and it's happening again, a tiny crack in each top corner. I haven't called TMO yet, but I am very frustrated after paying $389 for this phone. I had the Pearl before and did not experience this, even after dropping it many times. TMO claims they have not heard of a problem, but after reading these blogs I see I am not alone.
    06-30-08 12:06 AM
    Yes, I too have had my top right and left corners crack out. I believe this is due to the screw attachment directly behind where the cracks occur.

I purchased the old 8300 silver faceplate and haven't had any issues with it in many months. It looks as though they've changed the faceplate on the new 8330 right at the top. I wonder if they've had enough complaints now.
    07-03-08 09:51 PM
    I am convinced now that there is a defect with the faceplates on the Curve. After having mine for 3 weeks I noticed a tiny crack on the top right corner. I immediately called TMO and arranged for a replacement, and before it arrived, 2 more cracks appeared. I had not dropped my phone at all. Well, now I have had the replacement for about 1 month, and it's happening again, a tiny crack in each top corner. I haven't called TMO yet, but I am very frustrated after paying $389 for this phone. I had the Pearl before and did not experience this, even after dropping it many times. TMO claims they have not heard of a problem, but after reading these blogs I see I am not alone.

The same thing happened to me after having mine for less than one month. I saw the cracks in the left and right top corners, then one day a corner was missing. Unfortunately, I did not call right away. So I'm sure I have no recourse. Have you heard anything else about possible defects? Thanks.
    07-08-08 05:10 PM
    I'm calling BB tomorrow because 2 faceplates doing the same thing without any reason is absurd. I'm pissed now.
    07-08-08 09:23 PM
    And once you get it fixed, get yourself a protective case so it doesn't happen again!

BlackBerry Cases
    ha thats what my mom said when my brother got a speeding ticket the "so it doesn't happen again"
    07-08-08 09:27 PM
    my 1st curve bubbled on the left side like it was heated or something it really dont get hot in ohio... but i sent it to tmo and all better until i dropped my second one in a soccer game lol
    07-08-08 09:31 PM
    Mine is cracked too! It's a wreck and all chipped now because I just found out about cnn. It was always in the case AND I never dropped mine from any height that was over a few inches, from my hand to my desk. A "high end" phone should be able to withstand that kind of fall. I noticed when I got mine, it almost looked as if the plastic was a different color around where the cracks initially appeared. What I'm wondering now is if it might be color specific? I have the "titanium", what about you guys? Maybe I will order another color if you guys have the same experience with the Titanium/Grey.
    07-19-08 08:11 PM
    I think they may have torqued the screws too tight from the factory and this is causing the issue on the top corners.

The best suggestion I can offer is if you're going to replace the face plate to only tighten the screws enough to draw the plate to the main housing of the phone and no farther.
    07-19-08 09:07 PM

BlackBerry Cases
    Kev, I realize you said once you get it fixed, and thats the problem right there. With all due respect, if your phone is less than a month old and this is happening, the customer affected should be taking them back to the carrier.

A case isnt going to prevent the problem when it due to a manufacturers defect. With a case, you just try to convince yourself that the cracks are not there.

What I'd like to know is if this happens to all Curves because the majority of people with the cracks in this thread are AT&T?
    07-19-08 09:09 PM
    Here's a place to get parts:
    8310 - Samsung, NEC, Nokia, 3G, Panasonic, Dopod/O2, Tools, Motorola, Alcatel, Microsof
    Pretty sure it would void warranty, If anyone can tell.
    Chaz, this is great. I convinced both my mom & dad to get 8310 and a week later, my dad dropped his! He of course came to me and said "does that site you're always on have new cases?"

Going to order him new housing. Thanks!!
    07-19-08 11:01 PM
    My curve also crocked in both corners within a week of owning it. I tried to return it and they told me the warranty was void. What?? Thanks so much for nothing!
    07-31-08 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD