I'm desperately hoping someone has an answer..when I got my phone I immediately put the CaseMate Barely There case on it..after about 2 weeks I decided the phone was too bulky with the case, and removed it..to my HORROR the the top of the slider doesn't sit as snug anymore..resulting in a wobble..and when typing on the virtual keyboard with the phone closed, it is very wobbly on the lower half..is there a way to replace the spring to fix the slider? Is there anything I can do?..I'm completely distraught as the phone is only 2 weeks old..I did not purchase from my carrier, so can't take it back for an exchange...
    01-23-11 09:49 PM
    Do a search on this forum for wobble there are a bunch of threads that have info and possible fixes for the loose slider issue.

If it's too bad you should still have a warranty through RIM on the phone but would have to go through them. Don't know if they will cover it if damage was caused by the case though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 10:06 PM
    I know it probably sounds like a stupid question..but how would I go about doing it through RIM? I've always dealt with my carrier, so I am unsure of the protocol..do they send out refurbished units as Rogers does?
    01-23-11 10:08 PM
    Warranty service is provided through the carrier from which you purchased the device not directly through RIM.

However, be prepared for them to examine the device for physical damage that may have resulted from something other than a manufacturing defect. Damage/defects due to other causes are not covered by the warranty.
    01-23-11 10:13 PM
    Not sure as I've never done an exchange through RIM but my guess is it's just a matter of calling RIM with the proof of purchase and obtaining an RMA to send it to a warranty center. You will probably get a refurb back but refurbs are usually very good quality.

Maybe someone who has done an exchange through RIM will post up.

01-23-11 10:14 PM
    Rogers is my carrier..but I bought an AT&T factory unlocked device outright..so I can't submit through Rogers as it is not their device..I'm terribly upset about the wobble..and most fixes I've found on the forums are along the lines of placing a piece of layered electrical tape to fill the gap..which leads me to have more concern about the tape migrating upwards and getting stuck..or something else going wrong with it..is there any way to disassemble and tighten screws??
    01-23-11 10:21 PM
    I've tried to do an exchange with RIM they basically told me take it back to where I got it from.. I was like WTF they just told me to call u guys.. Needless to say I had to go thru about 20 reps and finally got a replacement thru my carrier..

Also I'm not sure if this matters but att warranty also covers phones not bought from them as I have replaced a phone thru them that I purchased from an individual.

Mm just saw the updated post. So u have a att branded phone on rogers..
    01-23-11 10:22 PM
    The exchange is done through the carrier, not RIM.. Just call the carrier and they'll lknow by the IMEI if its still under warranty, you don't need to provide anything.

01-23-11 10:22 PM
    Ok..so Rogers won't give me a hard time to replace a AT&T device??..given my previous experiences with Rogers customer service..I have a bit of a hard time believing that :S..I went through 3 device replacements on my 9700 because of wobbly trackpads, defective refurbs..etc etc..
    01-23-11 10:27 PM
    The case probably eliminated some of the wobble. However after removing it, the wobble became more obvious. Some new Torchs with a Mexico 4 build have bad wobble and build quality issues. Check to see where your Torch was made...

I've had the case mate barely there and it for sure won't cause the screen to wobble more...it doesn't clip close to the sliding mechanism

01-23-11 10:32 PM
    Rogers is my carrier..but I bought an AT&T factory unlocked device outright..so I can't submit through Rogers as it is not their device..I'm terribly upset about the wobble..and most fixes I've found on the forums are along the lines of placing a piece of layered electrical tape to fill the gap..which leads me to have more concern about the tape migrating upwards and getting stuck..or something else going wrong with it..is there any way to disassemble and tighten screws??
    It's not screws..it's something more delicate.

01-23-11 10:36 PM
    I'm saying its the case because we purchased 3 9800's in my household..mine was the only one with the case..and has since developed the problem..the phone is solid once open..when closed, the wobble is more prominent on the right side.I'll try calling RIM tomorrow..hopefully there's a resolution aside from sticking tape under the slider

01-23-11 10:44 PM
    It's the case. I had the Barely There for a few days but took it off once I realized what it was doing. When the slider is in the closed position, you'll notice that the clip on the bottom of the slider piece of the case causes the lower part of the screen section to ride up when in the closed position.

The Otterbox does this as well. The Mobi and AGF cases do not.
    01-24-11 12:32 AM
    I got the barely there case TWO (black carbon fiber) from the case-mate.com website, and boy oh boy, does my BB Torch have s-t-y-l-e. BEST case hands down for my BB.
    01-24-11 12:44 AM
    It's the case. I had the Barely There for a few days but took it off once I realized what it was doing. When the slider is in the closed position, you'll notice that the clip on the bottom of the slider piece of the case causes the lower part of the screen section to ride up when in the closed position.

The Otterbox does this as well. The Mobi and AGF cases do not.
    My Case Mate did not do this. It fit flush, and worked wonderfully. The best looking case hands down, and I also never had the screen pop off randomly.

I believe the OP just had a bad build on the phone itself.

01-24-11 04:59 AM
    The case probably eliminated some of the wobble. However after removing it, the wobble became more obvious. Some new Torchs with a Mexico 4 build have bad wobble and build quality issues. Check to see where your Torch was made...

I've had the case mate barely there and it for sure won't cause the screen to wobble more...it doesn't clip close to the sliding mechanism

Where the device was built is of no matter, we have seen posts about the wobble from Hungary, Canada, as well as Mexico built devices. There has also been several posts about the wobble getting worse after taking the case mate case off the device. Just do a search of the forums and you'll see.
    01-24-11 07:29 AM
    That's f'd.. I used that same case, and after about a month and a half I decided it was too bulky and I could use the trackpad as easily with the case on so I removed it. The most it did to my phone was scratch the chrome.
    01-24-11 07:51 AM
    Case Mate Barely There did the same to my Torch. There was no wobble at all from the screen, then I bought the case and had it on for about 2 days. With the case on the screen wobble alot when closed, which it hadn't been doing at all before I had the case.

Now I've taken the case off, the screen wobbles slightly, but only when closed.
    01-24-11 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD