View Poll Results: Which would you choose and why?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seidio Innocase 360

0 0%
  • Otterbox Defender

8 50.00%
  • Other

8 50.00%
    Howdy guys!

Well I was annoyed of touch screen smart phones, went to a local store a good friend of mine works at and he toally suckered me into the Bold 9700. Now this is my first blackberry ever! I ordered it tonight and should come in Friday at 5pm

To the point:
    I need a good case for this beauty. I have checked a review on both the Otterbox defender(I think its the defender?) And the seidio innocase 360.

Personally I have held the Otterbox but not the Seidio. The otterbox seems hilariously sturdy and safe, great! But... Personally I find them a little big on the funny side. The Seidio, althought I never held one seems very sleek. I think I would like the Seidio more, so my question comes down to this.

Is the Seidio pretty good at protecting the device? How good is it? I'm a little on the edgy side thinking it might not be very strong. If its not, I would definitely go with the Otterbox. Which one would you choose and why?

Take in mind I am in the Military as a foot soldier, so sometimes I might bring the phone with me. But regardless, tell me what you would choose and why! If you have any other case I should look at, feel free to type them down for me!

Thanks!
    Paul
    Last edited by Juice-BoX; 03-24-10 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Typos.... BE GONE!
    03-24-10 07:59 PM
    I can only speak from my experience, which is with an OB Defender on my 8310.

I'm a carpenter, and my BB rides around all day in by tool belt, literally in a pouch full of hand tools, random nails, screws, sawdust, drywall dust and so forth.
    I have dropped this thing literally hundreds of times, on concrete, in mud, down ladders, out the window of my truck, in ice and snow... well, you get the point.

My device is almost 2 years old, and when taken out of the Defender, looks in every way better than those of most suit & tie types I know.

I have never, ever had one issue with the keyboard or trackball. I've never even had to disassemble either for cleaning.

The only major drawback to the defender is that the clear plastic sheet which is the first layer of the system makes the camera nigh on useless, as it's nowhere near clear enough, making pictures very dull and blurry.

The OtterBox Defender is by far the best case made in my opinion; it makes the already durable BlackBerry into the Panasonic Toughbook of wireless phones.
    03-24-10 08:35 PM
    Thanks for the informative post!

Well it sure looks sturdy, but I did not know it could withstand all that abuse! Sounds perfect for my military career, is the plastic sheet rending the camera utterly useless only during night time, or is it also during the day?
    03-24-10 09:09 PM
    I just purchased a Otterbox Commuter, I don't throw around my phone and I'm pretty gentle so Commuter is perfect for me. Defender is way to commando for me and my use of bb.
    03-25-10 03:06 AM
    I've been using Capdase Alumor for my Bold 9000 and Bold 9700. About 1-2 months ago I dropped my Bold 9700 on the concrete while I was trying to get out from the SUV. It bounced 5 times (I still remember because I just stood there with my jaw dropped). Afterward I picked it up and surprisingly it's still on and had no single scratch at all. The case, however, had dents and scratches all over mostly on the corner edges. It's comforting to know that $10 metal case was able to protect my BlackBerry so well.

I bought new one with the same color the day after, but I'm still using the old one as a reminder. Sweett....

Edit: Btw, it's only a bit bulkier than silicone case. Feels bulky because it's a hard case.
    Last edited by fusioncal; 03-25-10 at 05:26 AM.
    03-25-10 05:23 AM
    Ive had both Otter and Seidio. You cant go wrong with either, but you'll jst have to see which one you prefer.
    03-25-10 06:07 AM
    Seidio's cases are very fragile. I had one for my 9000 and now my 9700 and both have cracked within six months without a drop. Not worth the $30+ price tag.
    03-25-10 06:07 AM
    I was afraid Seidio's were too weak

I'm up for Ideas! The alume case doesnt seem bad at all.
    03-25-10 09:22 AM
    I'm up for Ideas! The alume case doesnt seem bad at all.
    I agree! I just wish I could figure out where you can buy it...no much luck there!
    03-25-10 10:28 AM
    my seidio innocase has held up like a champ across numerous phones I've had (iphone, curve, tour).

I feel like the innocase is a much sleeker case with decent protection for normal everyday use from a commoner to a businessman, but it seems like in your line of work, the heavy duty otterbox would match your profile
    03-25-10 10:50 AM
    seidio and otterbox are koo but i would look into the case-mate hybrid, that's another good case which comes with a screen protector and good protection..
    i also have the seidio innocase II and just got my hands on a otterbox case, here's a link with pics for the case-mate http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/cas...9700-a-391083/
    Last edited by sfjon918; 03-25-10 at 11:16 AM.
    03-25-10 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the informative post!

Well it sure looks sturdy, but I did not know it could withstand all that abuse! Sounds perfect for my military career, is the plastic sheet rending the camera utterly useless only during night time, or is it also during the day?
    Imagine having a couple layers of Saran wrap, or a Ziploc baggie, over the lens on your digital camera; that's about the effect the OB sheet has on the BB camera. It doesn't bother me at all over the screen or keyboard though.

Either way, the only way to make your BB more protected would be to cart it around in a Pelican lockbox.
    03-26-10 01:33 AM
    As I think more about this, you could modify your Defender by cutting out the portion of the plastic skin that covers the camera lens. It would add a point of infiltration for dust and moisture, but if camera use is important to you, it might be a reasonable compromise.
    03-26-10 01:43 AM
    As I think more about this, you could modify your Defender by cutting out the portion of the plastic skin that covers the camera lens. It would add a point of infiltration for dust and moisture, but if camera use is important to you, it might be a reasonable compromise.
    Yup! I was thinking of doing exactly that!

You keep talking about moisture. This may sound silly but does it make it somewhat water proof?
    03-26-10 10:15 AM
    I had the innocase 360 and didn't use it for more than an hour before throwing it out and going back to my innocase 2.

The screen protector is way too reflective and the button cover makes it look like one of those fake display model phones.

Never used an otterbox but I only hear good things about them. I will stick with my innocase 2 and seido dock.
    03-26-10 04:01 PM
    I just got my otter commuter yesterday and I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 04:10 PM
    The thing that pisses me off about the defender on my 9700, is all the dust and lint it attracts. Take it out of you jean pocket and it looks like crap. I thought once the silicone got used a little it would get better but it didn't.

Received my epik skin this week and been use that. I like it. No more lint and the phone looks better. But no where near as much protection as the Otterbox. But hey you can't have everything. Maybe there is something that could be sprays on silicone that would make it less of a lint magnet.
    03-26-10 04:50 PM
    I use the Case-Mate Hybrid Tough. This is equivalent to the Otterbox Commuter. It comes in four different colors and protects the BB very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 05:22 PM
    Yup! I was thinking of doing exactly that!

You keep talking about moisture. This may sound silly but does it make it somewhat water proof?
    I would describe the Otterbox as splash or spill proof. (I'm sure OB would call it splash resistant or something...) It's not a complete envelope seal, but the membrane layer would direct water away from the device for the most part. I've talked on it in the rain many times and not had any water make it through to the phone.

In a submersion situation you're SOL though. When I go fishing or rafting I do put my BB inside a Ziploc bag just to be sure.

As I said, short of a Pelican box, this is the best you're going to find.
    Last edited by EnoughIsEnough; 03-31-10 at 12:04 AM.
    03-31-10 12:01 AM
    i used to have a seidio innocase 360 on my 9000 and that lasted 2 or 3 months. i dropped it twice and the case cracked on the hinge connections. the phone even fell out and slammed against the floor. the screen protector also started coming off and became severely scratched. ive since just switched to the oem silicone case and a regular screen protector.
    03-31-10 02:59 AM
    ****ty!

Well I'll be going with the OB defender. Seems like they're build like a Tank. And It just so happens I love tanks!
    03-31-10 08:15 AM
    I think you'll be well pleased with the Defender.
    03-31-10 08:35 AM
    I must update this thread; I upgraded to a 9700 today, and of course bought a new OB Defender for it.

Some of my comments above are moot with this model, to whit:

The 'membrane' portion of the Defender only covers the keypad on the 9700. The screen and camera lens/flash are now protected by a very thin, very clear, rigid polycarbonate material which is integral with the hard two-piece armor portion of the case.

I will know with further testing, but I'm nearly certain that this will have far less effect on the quality of photos than the full-body-wrap type membrane that my previous case had. That said, if you still wanted to clear the cover from in front of the camera lens, you'll have to punch it out of the rigid shell altogether; there will be no cutting of this stuff.

The hard shell portion seems to be significantly thinner than that of my old case, and not quite as rigid; time will tell how this case stands up to the abuse it's older brother weathered so very well. I think the polycarbonate lenses will be more prone to scratching than the flexible membrane style as well.

As I have yet to begin my daily regimen of abuse on the new device and case, I can't say whether this updated design is an improvement; based on my initial findings, I suspect it is not, but the OB Defender is likely still the benchmark for protective cases.
    04-01-10 09:59 PM
    I use the otterbox defender on my tour. I work livestock all day, I've dropped it in/on dirt, manure, concrete you name it and it comes out fine. I even had one of my horses grab my phone case off my belt shake the **** out of it then throw it, no problems. The defender is built like a tank! The only thing I know it won't withstand is if a cow or horse steps on it! LOL
    04-02-10 08:47 PM
    Any Otter will work

I use both commuter and defender depending on that type of day...

But I pack both in my bag.
    04-02-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD