03-21-11 10:31 PM
40 12
tools
    I'm still waiting for my holster from Amazon, but in the meantime I decided to play around and have discovered another option people might want to check out. It turns out the leather holster case for the Palm Pre (Palm branded) works really well for the Style. These phones are both similar in size and shape and the Style fits perfectly. To sweeten the pot a little bit, these cases are on clearance for only $5 at every Radio Shack I've been to (probably been to 10 different stores in the Phoenix area)! To make it even better I ripped a sleep magnet out of a broken Tour hard plastic holster I had and it works great in the Pre case. The phone even opens direct to my text messages when I get a text while in the holster... just like the good ol' days! The screen must be facing towards your belt to work, and you need to test the magnet to make sure its mounted the right way directly over the center of the external display (ironically, if you flip open the phone, the sleep function works when the magnet is touched to the upper left of the phone above the keyboard... not sure why). The magnet actually sticks to the inside of the case (sticks to the belt clip I guess) so I took the felt off of the donor holster and will glue it to the inside of the Pre case to prevent scratches. Viola! Instant Style case for $5 and a donor case everyone should have laying around! While youre at Radio Shack, look for the Xentris brand screen protectors for the Palm Pre as well. They are also on clearance for $2.99 and they kind of fit the inside screen, but the reason I got them was I decided to cut them up and make my own protection for the camera lense. I tried a cheap brand protector as well as an invisIshield and they both produced blurry pictures. The Xentris Palm Pre screen protectors are easy to apply without bubbles and the pics I took after were nice and clear. It's a pain to cut them right, but with 3 protectors in the pack you get roughly 12 tries to get it right. The one pic with the Style in the Pre case was taken with my Tour. The two other pics were taken with the Style with the screen protector on the camera as previously mentioned. (The tape is temporary... preventing the magnet from scratching the screen until I glue the felt in.) Good luck everyone!

UPDATE

Well, it doesn't look as nice as I hoped, but I glued the magnets in place behind a strip of leather. Since the magnets aren't recessed into the case I figured the leather might hold up better than felt. I also changed it and added a 2nd magnet for good measure The case works great and after using it all day yesterday I can say for sure that it helped my battery big time! I posted a short video on youtube showing the holster putting the phone in sleep mode if anyone is curious and or bored haha

UPDATE 2

I finally got the plastic belt holster that I ordered from Amazon... for $7 I cant complain. I successfully transformed this into a sleep holster. I used a broken Delton Tour 9630 holster (also $7 on Amazon). I took out the magnet, as well as the cardboard circle that covered the inside of the swivel clip and I glued them into the new holster. (I mainly used the cardboard circle to even out the surface and prevent the magnet from cracking the screen if I put the phone in at the wrong angle) I then cut and glued the felt in place and it works great. Sleep mode works and the phone still fits good. If attempting this yourself, note the location of the magnet as it seemed really picky in this case for some reason. New pics below... I have had to cut the felt off of the top of the holster (skinny part where it clips to the phone) as this tiny layer of felt was making it alot harder to get the phone to lock into the case. Once I removed it the phone locks in much better.

Update: after a month of use the plastic belt holster from Amazon broke. The belt clip snapped in half. It didn't even get caught on anything. I just happened to reach for my phone and it felt loose... It was hanging on by a thread! I found the same holster on eBay, but now they're 3 for $7. I ordered them and got them the other day, but I started using my Palm Pre case while waiting for the holsters in the mail. I decided to cut out the ribbon pull from the Pre case and its much easier to use. The phone goes in and out of the case easier and the magnetic flap shuts better since the ribbon pull isn't in the way. I might stick to the Pre case as there isn't much chance of it breaking and me possibly loosing my phone!
    Last edited by danisnotstan; 03-08-11 at 07:01 PM.
    01-11-11 04:47 PM
    I'm going to review a holster/case in the next few days for the site. Just came in today so I plan on using it all day tomorrow.
    01-11-11 11:47 PM
    I'm going to review a holster/case in the next few days for the site. Just came in today so I plan on using it all day tomorrow.
    Can you keep us updated, or do we have to wait for the full review?
    01-12-11 05:30 AM
    Can you keep us updated, or do we have to wait for the full review?
    I sure can

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 08:37 AM
    Is there a special kind of magnet you have to use? Or just any magnet at all?

01-16-11 01:03 PM
    i'd be careful about the strength of the magnet being used. i know magnets mess with computers and our phones are like mini computers so...

i could be wrong
    01-16-11 02:40 PM
    If anyone is looking for more of a sleeve type of protection, I just found out the microfiber orange and black sleeve that comes with the Palm Pre works great on the Style. I have been using it for a few days and its great to just stick in a pocket and not worry about scratches.
    01-16-11 09:24 PM
    i'd be careful about the strength of the magnet being used. i know magnets mess with computers and our phones are like mini computers so...

i could be wrong
    As far as I know, magnets really mess with a computers hard drive more than anything else. If you have a magnet that is strong enough, it can affect the display (thus why surround sound speakers are "shielded" so they don't mess up your TV if placed too close). The magnets that I used are small (same size as a magnet used in an OEM BlackBerry case). I have updated my original post as I have finished making my homemade sleep holster (hard plastic... pics added). I only used one magnet in that case. I didn't see any adverse affects using 2 magnets in my Pre case, but I figured if this new case works with one magnet, better safe than sorry haha
    01-18-11 02:57 PM
    Hows the review coming?
    01-18-11 03:45 PM
    Caseless Naked Style that's how I roll =)

01-18-11 04:47 PM

Yup. I got ghost armor for the outer and inner side of the flip, but that is just because living in the desert + archaeology = lots of sand and grit to get at my phones.
    01-18-11 06:07 PM
    Almost thinkin' about going Commando with mine, hate to cover that bad boy up, or bulk it up since i carry it in my front pocket...may go with the Zagg thing for external scratches etc...that should tacky it up a little too so I wont be prone to dropping it as much...I hope
    I have them on mine & so far no nicks or scratches & trust me it's been put through some testing (dropped several times even on concrete, thrown in a purse, coat pocket with keys, slid off truck dashboard...).
    01-18-11 10:18 PM
    Hows the review coming?
    I just got the videos for both the case and holster done last night. I'm going to clean up the reviews and hopefully submit tomorrow (takes a few days to post though). If a holster/case is what you are looking for and don't mind NOT having the sleeper function, check out the Night Ize holster. It's $12.95 and works really well. The Mobi Crystal Clear Case fits great with little bulk added but some reviews have said it breaks fairly easy...
    01-18-11 10:22 PM
    I have them on mine & so far no nicks or scratches & trust me it's been put through some testing (dropped several times even on concrete, thrown in a purse, coat pocket with keys, slid off truck dashboard...).
    Is yours a Zagg? Does it only cover the screen, or the whole Style? I haven't seen anything from Zagg yet for the Style at my local Best Buy yet.

Yea, that is how I PREFER to roll, but I got a BIG scratch on the front because this dang phone is as slippery as a bar of soap! Gotta go do the pouch thing... (sad)
    03-21-11 10:09 PM
    Is yours a Zagg? Does it only cover the screen, or the whole Style? I haven't seen anything from Zagg yet for the Style at my local Best Buy yet.
    I saw what was advertised as an official Style 9670 Zagg Invisible Shield full body kit on Amazon, but I never bought it. I had already custom cut my own Zagg Invisible Shield for my Style when I saw it and mine has held up well so I never bothered to order it. I covered the entire black area on the front of the flip and I also covered most of the battery door. I've found that none of the full body shields ever stay on the phone for long. The corners and round edges are usually impossible to get right, and even if you do get it installed correctly, they always peel off in a few months max. I happened to find a Zagg kit for a Palm Pre on clearance at Best Buy and I cut it to fit. Any Zagg shield will work as long as its bigger than the area you want to cover... I just preferred to pay $5 for the Pre shield instead of $20 or more for a different phone
    darkangel07760 likes this.
    03-21-11 10:31 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD