08-20-09 11:00 AM
61 123
tools
    I thought I'd share my thoughts on the OtterBox Defender case.

I got it yesterday and quickly installed it. I took photos and can share them if anyone is really interested. It has a membrane over the keypad with a cut out for the track ball. The screen and camera have clear panels over them. The speaker openings all have a cloth like cover over them. The case seems solid and should take one heck of a beating. For me that's a good thing since I'm hard on phones. It comes with a belt holster that puts the phone in sleep when you insert it.

The bad part was it has massive echo for the callers. The sound coming from the earpiece makes it's way to the microphone and creates a talk back. I read a few tips on various sites about ways to circumvent the echo and the only thing I found that worked was removing the fabric covering the earpiece. My echo is now gone but now I have another place for dust to enter the case. (the track ball was already a place for it to enter)

Overall I'm happy with it. If you need a rugged case to keep your BB sexy it's worth checking out. Good luck with the echo issue.
    06-12-09 06:29 AM
    Yeah they make a great case, I had a couple on some of my older devices.
    06-12-09 06:31 AM
    you know I thought about getting one, but for me it just seemed to add too much bulk to your device, so I went with a innocase II.

But am gald you like your OtterBox
    06-12-09 06:32 AM
    I considered an Innocase but with my fat fingers I didn't like how the buttons ended up being recessed in the case. That- and like I said, I'm hard on phones.
    06-12-09 07:26 AM
    I also have an otterbox and love it. The only negative issue I have is the occasional echo you mention. So when you removed the dust filter over the ear piece that completely fixed the echo? Thanks, d1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 08:12 AM
    pics pics pics
    06-12-09 08:30 AM
    Yeah... please post the pictures!!!

I had one for my Pearl...... I loved it...
    06-12-09 08:52 AM
    Pics are on the wife's camera. I will post them tonight when I get home.
    06-12-09 09:46 AM
    TGIF! I can't wait to see pics, pics tonite..
    06-12-09 09:57 AM
    I have the Defender as well. Did you guys use the little Donut cushion? The echos issue improved a bit after putting the donut on.
    Last edited by mynameismerlin; 06-12-09 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Fixed an imcomplete sentence.
    06-12-09 01:21 PM
    I tried using the little foam piece and still wasn't any better. Otterbox told me that is the solution for the echo effect, but it doesn't work. I am curious to see by taking off the earpiece overlay if it fixes it.
    06-12-09 01:29 PM
    Well, I think we are going to see Revision 3 of this case sometime in the future.
    06-12-09 01:46 PM
    Have an Otter Box for my storm. It's great for when I'm out in the woods but tedious to deal with otherwise. Usually I have a silicon sleeve and holster for daily use. Have a buddy who does search and rescue and he likes his except for complaints that folks have trouble understanding him when he speaks. Thinking about getting a featherweight (Incipio?) set up as well.
    06-12-09 01:50 PM
    i seen this at tmobile.
    the guy had it on his bb and threw it across the room as a example.
    wow
    06-12-09 03:21 PM
    Lookin' forward to the pics.

Does the protective part over the keys negatively effect typing? The plastic over the screen is it flexible or rigid?
    06-12-09 04:03 PM
    Lookin' forward to the pics.

Does the protective part over the keys negatively effect typing? The plastic over the screen is it flexible or rigid?
    The protection over the key board is perfect. I was wires for a minute but man O man this case is sweet.

I got the Otter Box yesterday and so far I don't have anything negative to say about it.
    06-12-09 05:00 PM
    Do you think you can put an OtterBox on a phone that has a BSE? In the BSE instructions, it says not to store the skins face to face because they'll stick together, so do you think the keyboard protection on the OtterBox would be a problem?

06-12-09 05:11 PM
    Yes it will be.... I had the otter box skin on my pearl and the BSE and they stuck together.

06-12-09 05:47 PM
    Eye candy as requested.

First one is all the parts pre-assembly.
    Next the keyboard membrane.
    8900 sitting in back piece with keyboard membrane on.
    Front and rear pieces snapped together before silicone wrap.
    Then a few side by sides with the wife's naked 8900 for comparison.

Having no issues with the keyboard cover. Hardly notice that it's there. The cover over the screen has some flex to it. It will not stop a hard impact but should keep things like keys, rocks, hot wheels cars, and what ever else you would have in a pocket from scratching the screen. The only drawback I see to the screen cover portion is that there is some space between it and the screen. Dust could prove to be a problem if left to go too long without removing the case and blowing things out.
    Last edited by CGirard; 06-13-09 at 12:58 AM.
    06-13-09 12:55 AM
    Thanks for the pics! For some reason that thing reminds me of an old-school Gameboy with this case on the 8900.
    06-13-09 01:04 AM
    haha I agree aristile. It's a very cool case, and if you are really hard on your phone I can see the love for it. However, I really like the look of the 8900 too much to do all that to it. In addition, I find my t-mobile silicone to add way too much bulk to my device, I can't imagine this thing in my pocket.
    06-13-09 01:16 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to post pics/answer questions. Your post sold me on the Otter Box for my new 8900. I'mg oing to order it today but it won't be here 'til Wednesday, get the 8900 on Tuesday so I'm gonna have to be gentle with her

They should link your thread on the otter page in the store to sell 'em better
    06-13-09 11:44 AM
    I have an otter box for my curve. The only issue I had with it was the film over the camera (blurry pics) so I cut the clear film off of that part. But other than that I couldn't be happier with it. Oh and I've also drop mine and it did its job.
    06-13-09 12:13 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to post pics/answer questions. Your post sold me on the Otter Box for my new 8900. I'mg oing to order it today but it won't be here 'til Wednesday, get the 8900 on Tuesday so I'm gonna have to be gentle with her

They should link your thread on the otter page in the store to sell 'em better
    ebay sellers have it for 39.95 shipped. check them out before ordering direct.
    06-13-09 02:53 PM
    Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the annoying echo that callers are hearing when using this case?
    06-15-09 08:49 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD