I was traveling the other day and realized I forgot my car charger and after stopping at a Verizon store and being told they were out the clerk informed me there was a Radio Shack down the road. I am not a fan of Radio Shack but was desperate. So I buy a "generic" car charger and while it was plugged in and "charging" it completely drained my battery. I was so pissed. The next town I came to I went to another Verizon and purchased a "branded" charger and now all is well.

What gives, other than the fact that Verizon is continually pissing me off and Radio Shack *********.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 07:40 PM
    I don't see where this is a verizon issue.

04-17-09 07:43 PM
    I had one of the generics that I got for free when I bought the phone and it was horrible. I would plug it in while driving and it would go on and off. The stupid thing didn't know if it wanted to charge or not. I went to the Verizon store and bought there product and have not had a problem since.
    04-17-09 07:45 PM
    Patience>desperation.

The Verizon multi-charger works fantastic and charges very fast.
    04-17-09 07:47 PM
    My rant was from years of Verizons' antics. And yes I was desperate.

04-17-09 08:05 PM
    Ya Im not a fan of generic chargers...some work some fry your phone, you are usually safe with the ones sold at the VZW store and definately the on that comes with the phone
    04-17-09 08:08 PM
    I just bought a Verizon car charger and its not working properly. It charges for a couple of minutes then the lightning bolt disappears and the back of the phone heats up big time.

04-27-09 10:29 PM
    Verizon will exchange it for you.
    04-27-09 10:42 PM
    I've bought a charger off eBay that was identical to the ones they sold at Verizon. The only difference it didn't have the Verizon name on it. Other than that it has the red circle and everything. Works great.
    04-27-09 11:10 PM
    So I buy a "generic" car charger and while it was plugged in and "charging" it completely drained my battery.
    What were the specs of the charger? Different chargers have different output current (and maybe voltage).
    04-27-09 11:11 PM
    What were the specs of the charger? Different chargers have different output current (and maybe voltage).
    I don't know as I tossed it. BTW I now leave one in my travel bag and one stays in my briefcase.

Paranoid, huh !?

04-28-09 12:46 AM
    I have a motorola car charger. when i plug my curve up to it, the charger indicator does not show on the screen, yet it shows on the power cord that the charger is working. has anyone else had this problem? i dont know if its the phone or what AND if its even charging!!!

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Is it a problem or the norm? Any solutions?

HELP!
    05-06-09 01:11 PM
    Why'd you toss it?? I would have returned it to another Radio Shack and gotten my money back
    05-06-09 01:23 PM
    Not sure what is up Ratch, I would try a different phone on that charger and see if it works there. And tehn as others suggest, check the output voltage and make sure it is compatible.

I thought that all Mini / Micro USB chargers were the same but after reading this post I guess they aren't
    05-06-09 01:26 PM
    I would have got my money back....
    05-06-09 01:27 PM
    I actually use one from my local Kroger which I got for $8...has been working fine. I'm not too fond of paying extra bucks for these things when they are readily available for a lot less...
    05-06-09 01:36 PM
    Assuming you pay attention and purchase a generic charger with the proper voltage, you should have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I have been using generic chargers for my entire life, and have never had a problem. Well, I bought a five dollar charger off eBay years ago and the sucker did nothing at all, but that's one out of at least 10.

Just make sure the charger is truly compatible--meaning not only that the sucker fits into your phone, but again, that it has the proper voltage.
    05-06-09 02:03 PM
    I too have had trouble with generic chargers in the past and will not use them any more. Not worth the chance of frying your phone. If you buy the charger from Verizon and it breaks they will replace it for you up to a year later. I had bought one for my wife's samsung and she had broke the tip off by dropping the phone while plugged in. I brought it with me to the Verizon store and did not see any on the self so asked a employee if they had any he said they just got some in and would get me one. When he went to ring me up he asked my phone number for the account and then informed me that since I purchased the previous one less than a year ago the replacement was free. I did not even have to ask and had told him how it broke. I have to say Verizon has been good to me customer service wise the last few years.
    05-06-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD