Hello Everyone,

Last week I upgraded from my Curve to a HTC Touch Pro, Windows 6.1 device & what a total load of rubbish it is. Sure you have amazing functionality but what do you use; the stylus, my finger or buttons to work the functions - well in fact you use them all & creating an email takes 7 screen taps just to get started, it was totally hopeless!

I spent all day messing about with it with the help of a friend, setting it up for MS exchange took about 3 hours, madness!

It now makes me realise how simple BB's are to use, they are total simplicity.

BUT I do have one major beef with the BB, as a single user.

I want mine to update my calendar and contacts real time without having to sync. When I sync via cable I have to go through the hassle of desktop manager crashing ever other sync & then deleting the intellisync file etc etc - it always crashes when I'm in a hurry too!

So what is the solution? I don't want to use cables & as a single user of a BB in a very small business we cannot afford to buy a BES.

I need to sync seamlessly, i.e. without cables, and if I can do this then the BB will most definitely be the best device/format going.

In the morning I'm going to try and backtrack on my new phone, get a code to go back to my previous phone company and just 'be happy' with my curve. Failing that I might get a bold if I can't get out of my current contract....

I hope someone can help me.

AlanJ
    12-14-08 05:19 PM
    If you're just syncing, then maybe you can try a Bluetooth connection? Have Desktop Manager set up so you sync every hour, day, or whatnot? Just be forewarned -- it's a bit of a pain to set up.

On a side note, I haven't had the sync crash aside from errors from having data in the cache. What kinda errors are coming up?
    12-14-08 05:44 PM
    I'll try that - I'd never thought about syncing via bluetooth.

The error I'm getting is something like 'desktop manager is closing due to an unexpected error'

I know the solution is to go into applications/programs/research in motion/intellisync/delete the folder & start over.

it's a total pain but what I'm trying to acheive is that when I'm out of the office and put a new entry into my calendar or contacts it automatically appears on my office pc & vice versa. That is the one good feature of the windows device & no doubt BES but nobody thinks about the little organisations like mine!

Thanks again
    12-14-08 06:17 PM
    One option, if you're willing to give up some trust in where your data are, is to use gmail. You can maintain and sync your contacts and calendar OTA, and Google Sync auto-updates (though I'm not sure how frequently). A side benefit is you can access your mail, calendar and contacts from anywhere you have a web browser, even if you're on a temp computer and/or apart from your Berry. I don't use IMAP but as I understand it you can use it to get to archived mail folders from your Berry. Seems the next best thing to BES, to me, and free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD