Well, let me start by saying I'm a little on the deaf side, so incoming call volume and clarity is a big issue with me. I currently have a Jabra BT8010 and the call volume on this headset is great. I can even turn in down a notch or two sometimes and still hear okay. My gripe with it though is it's big and heavy and I can't wear it all day without it bugging me. I'm looking for something smaller and lighter that will give me excellent volume and clarity.

I tried a Plantronics 230, and really liked small size, long talk time and simplicity of this headset but it just wasn't loud enough.

Then I got the Blueant V1...clarity is great on these but again it's still not loud enough, didn't fit my ear right and felt like it was going to fall out all the time, and the thing quit charging or connecting via the usb connector after three days. I didn't like the foam ear pieces that came with that one either, it made the incoming calls sound too weird imo. I'm not too impressed with Blueant right now. I'm in the process of returning that one to the online vendor for a refund.

I've ordered a Jabra BT530 to try based on some good reviews that I found of it's clarity and volume but if this one doesn't work out I don't really know what else to try.

Any thoughts from anyone else on here who has had similar experiences with incoming volume being too low for them?

One thing I have noticed is that the non AD2P headsets drop the phone volume to half with the bluetooth connected, but my BT8010 doesn't do that. I can control the volume with either the phone or the headset and can max it out with either. I wonder if that's because of the AD2P or the specific headset? That's another reason I'm trying the BT530, it also supports AD2P, so I'm hoping volume will be better.

Any advice is welcome...I'm beyond frustrated with my apparent inability to find a small, lightweight bluetooth that will work for me.

Thanks.
    08-24-09 11:53 AM
    Have you tried something like this?:
    Amazon.com: Plantronics Voyager 855 Bluetooth Headset (Black): Cell Phones & Service
    I actually like the stereo headset that came with my curve because I can also use it with my ipod. Initially, I thought I'd take out one earphone when I was having a phone convo but I've found that I prefer to have both earpieces in ... it makes outside noise (like my kids & husband!) a lot less distracting.
    08-24-09 12:20 PM
    I'm not sure that I'd like the 855. I didn't like using the Blueant's foam earbuds that went into my ear. I want to be able to hear what's going on around me and didn't like having the ear with the bluetooth completely blocked like that.

I think my new Jabra BT530 will be here tomorrow, and if that one doesn't work out I guess I'll just stick with my old BT8010. At least I can hear really good with it even if it's bulky and heavy to wear...lol.
    08-26-09 01:58 PM
    I went through several myself and the Motopure H15 the best one I have ever owned
    08-26-09 09:35 PM
    try Jabra Pura ( Titanium Edition )

it fit to my ear and has clear sound eventhough i've read some review that blue ant v1 got a better sound quality compare to this device...in a design wise i love pura better than v1

good luck
    08-27-09 03:14 AM
    I've got a BlueAnt Q1 that I attached some Sony Ear Cushions to, they fit perfectly (both in my ears and to the Q1). I have always had issues getting "in ear" bluetooth headsets to fir in my ears (the Apple iPod earphones always fall right out, for example). This combination works WONDERFULLY!!
    08-27-09 08:12 PM
    I've got a BlueAnt Q1 that I attached some Sony Ear Cushions to, they fit perfectly (both in my ears and to the Q1). I have always had issues getting "in ear" bluetooth headsets to fir in my ears (the Apple iPod earphones always fall right out, for example). This combination works WONDERFULLY!!
    Hey, that's a great idea about those sony ear cushions. I was wondering about finding different ear gels or cushions for the v1 maybe. The Blueants have really clear sound, I just need a better fit in my ear I think.
    08-27-09 10:16 PM
    I have tried a lot of BT headsets. It's hard to beat the Jabra 8010..
    08-28-09 07:34 AM
    I have tried a lot of BT headsets. It's hard to beat the Jabra 8010..

I'm learning the truth of that. I feel fortunate that I chose the 8010 as my first bluetooth. The best volume level of the ones I've tried, decent audio, and long battery life...I just wish it were smaller and lighter...lol.
    08-28-09 10:01 AM
    Well, I just wanted to follow up with my progress finding a bluetooth that works for me. After reading about trying different earbuds on bluetooth headsets on here I decided to give the blueant v1 another try. I ordered some Plantronics 925 eargels and some earbuds similar to the Sony ear cushions mentioned above off of eBay. The ear cushions haven't arrived yet, but I'm trying the Plantronics eargels right now and I must say that so far I'm very happy with how those are working with the v1. I can finally get the sound far enough into my ear with these that the volume level of the v1 is more than adequate and the clarity is superb. They seem reasonbly comfortable and I don't seem to need the ear hook to keep the v1 in my ear securely. I think I finally have a happy ear drum.

I want to note that the 925 ear gels when on the v1 allow the center part of the speaker to protrude a little beyond the eargel. For me this is working out fine and pipes the sound right into my ear wonderfully, but I thought anyone else wanting to try these should know that going into it.

I'm anxious to try out the ear cushion type ear buds to compare them, but for anyone struggling with their bluetooth volume level give a different eargel a try. It may just make all the difference in the world. It sure has for me.
    Last edited by bill97024; 09-02-09 at 10:10 AM. Reason: updated with a better picture
    09-01-09 10:45 PM
    Just another update. I received my ear buds the other day and have been trying these out. They came as a package of two or three pairs each of small, medium, and large sizes for around $5 off Ebay. This is the medium.

These give the best sound and comfort so far, but they do make the bluetooth sit angled with my head rather than flat. I've ordered a couple more different eargels to try...stay tuned. This is quickly becoming an eargel shootout...lol, but if it helps someone else who may be having similar difficulties I'm glad to share what I'm learning from all my experiements.
    Last edited by bill97024; 09-04-09 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fixed picture
    09-04-09 04:23 PM
    This will be my final entry in the great eargel shootout...lol. The Jabra eargels I ordered came today and they are by far the best fit of them all. Good sound transfer into the ear canal, comfortable fit. These are the clear universal ones. I needed the large size for my ear, buy you can buy a set of all three sizes on ebay for cheap to find your size and then buy just the size you need on ebay after that. Next to having one custom made I think the Jabra eargels are a very good fit and feel comfortable and secure.

The other ear gel I ordered to try was the Jabra 8040 oem stock eargel. This one didn't work at all with the V1.

It's been quite a journey, but well worth the effort spent to find a good combination of bluetooth/eargel. Hopefully my trials and errors will help save someone else some frustration and give them a head start to finding a good fit.
    09-08-09 07:39 PM
    This will be my final entry in the great eargel shootout...lol. The Jabra eargels I ordered came today and they are by far the best fit of them all. Good sound transfer into the ear canal, comfortable fit. These are the clear universal ones. I needed the large size for my ear, buy you can buy a set of all three sizes on ebay for cheap to find your size and then buy just the size you need on ebay after that. Next to having one custom made I think the Jabra eargels are a very good fit and feel comfortable and secure.
    Man I was glad to see that this all worked out for you. I use the Motorola H700 and just completely LOVE IT for its form factor and design but I too have a very minor hearing deficiency and usually have to turn the volume up ... so I was feeling your pain.

Congrats on your success!
    09-08-09 09:09 PM
    Thanks. I appreciate the support. And I also appreciate all the great info on Crackberry that led me down the right path once again. I would have never thought of putting a different eargel on the V1 had it not been for the good folks on here offering their experience and advice to each other. Crackberry is the best.
    09-08-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD