I found another use for that pocket/pouch thing that came with my Curve 8320. I bought a Canon PowerShot SD780 camera recently. It's a tiny thing that -- absurdly -- does not come with a carrying case. It turns out that the stock BlackBerry pocket case that sells for something like $0.67 on Amazon is just about the right size for this camera. Not that this info is all that useful but now that you've read this, it's stuck in your brain. So there.

The Canon can encode and display HD video (1080x720, H.264, connected to a HD TV) directly. Not bad for a $220 camera. The Curve can barely keep up with a 320x240 MPEG-4 video stream. How sad.
    09-19-09 11:15 PM
    Lol are you trying to endorse your camera, diss your phone, or both?^^...and by the way, that's great info...except for my phones being my compacts and, for a camera, I use a Sony DSLRA900 (I bought it on sale for $2,900!!!) lol.
    09-19-09 11:22 PM

The Canon can encode and display HD video (1080x720, H.264, connected to a HD TV) directly. Not bad for a $220 camera. The Curve can barely keep up with a 320x240 MPEG-4 video stream. How sad.
    Wow, that's great... Does your camera come with a Bolt Browser pre-installed, or Opera?
    09-19-09 11:42 PM
    I can see why it looked like I was bashing my beloved BlackBerry. I wanted to share because struck me how much is being stuffed into electronics these days, and how two little gadgets with such similar dimensions that they can fit in the same case can have divergent capabilities. The fact is that they have completely different purposes and are equipped accordingly. The Canon is stuff full of dedicated imaging hardware: my desktop PC, a 3.33Ghz Celeron D, cannot play the movies that the tiny Canon can encode/decode in real time (the bitrate is ridiculously high). On the other hand, my old Curve is packed with all kinds of communication goodness too, if you consider the fact that it can communicate over 4 GSM bands, Wifi and Bluetooth.

One thing that the two have in common is that they are really small, ARM processor powered, programmable computers. People have written software that run on Canon cameras, including games, calendar, file browser etc. Look up CHDK. But the BlackBerry is a much more complete development platform, so that's where I will continue to write software (hence my sig).
    Last edited by cwong15; 09-21-09 at 08:44 PM.
    09-21-09 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD