10-20-09 06:50 PM
79 1234
tools
    The oil grease dirt humidty can cause your touchscreen to malfuction and not respond after a while if you dont have a screen protector.

Its very important to get a sceen protector
    None of these things will change the performance of your touchscreen, The storm has openings all the way around the screen, the screen itself is glass. There are no glass screen protectors so the screen itself protects better than any plastic cover could when it comes to oil, grease, dirt or humidity. Sorry but screen protectors are useless. It would make sense if you had a plastic screen but with most new smartphones that is not the case. Also, regardless of what type of phone you have, the things you are assuming the screen protector protects is completely untrue. None of those things you mentioned go through the screen, they get in through the cracks between the peices of the phone, by the buttons and in the speaker holes. Unless you want to completely cover your entire phone with something like otterbox you will not be benefitted in anyway from a screen protector unless you consider wasting money on a useless item beneficial. Have a super day though
    10-12-09 03:57 PM
    Screen protectors dull the beauty of the screen. Taking it off is like turning up your brightness a notch or 2 without draining the battery.

It's kind of like sex...good no matter what, but better without the condom.
    yes I too have used the condom expression as its true and I too have been fooled by the thin screen (unfortunately you cant be fooled by a marketed thin condom!). To be perfectly honest I didnt know that it was there and have applied screen protectors on top (its damn thin!). As of right now I have removed this origional screen and am on the manufactures glass. This is where my test will begin. You guys may be right or wrong, I'd like to stay neutral and see what the results give until the S2 comes out,which I assume I will be getting if reviews contiue to be positive and well rounded!
    Let the glass show the way!
    10-12-09 04:04 PM
    The oil grease dirt humidty can cause your touchscreen to malfuction and not respond after a while if you dont have a screen protector.

Its very important to get a sceen protector
    I didn't say it earlier, but your first post seems almost like a sales pitch from a VZW rep, or at least what i would expect one to say.

needless to say, i've seen the screen scratch tests on youtube, never had a scratch on mine since release date, and can't stand seeing the cross-hatching on my friends tour who got "sold" a screen protector.
    10-12-09 08:15 PM
    My screen protector makes a world of difference. If I had the slightest bit of moisture on my fingertips or otherwise my screen would freak out. If it was hot outside and I had sweaty hands it was impossible to txt. No problems since I put the screen protector on.
    10-13-09 12:31 AM
    I didn't say it earlier, but your first post seems almost like a sales pitch from a VZW rep, or at least what i would expect one to say.

needless to say, i've seen the screen scratch tests on youtube, never had a scratch on mine since release date, and can't stand seeing the cross-hatching on my friends tour who got "sold" a screen protector.
    I swear to tell you the truth I dont even know why im arguing online with some 13 year old over a screen protector but I just got to say this. You guys are good with taking things out of context.

I never stated the screen protector was there to protect agasint scratches. We all know the screen is scratch proof. I said the protector was there to protect agaisnt dirt oil grease moisture which will affect the performance of your screen. Its common sense. Buildup will cause your screen to come less responsive. Also when u get so much buildup without cleaning the screen the buildup can like "clog the pores" of the screens which will be real hard to undo.

Also you need a cleaning cloth to properly clean your screen

Jesus f'ing christ
    10-13-09 01:02 AM
    I swear to tell you the truth I dont even know why im arguing online with some 13 year old over a screen protector but I just got to say this. You guys are good with taking things out of context.

I never stated the screen protector was there to protect agasint scratches. We all know the screen is scratch proof. I said the protector was there to protect agaisnt dirt oil grease moisture which will affect the performance of your screen. Its common sense. Buildup will cause your screen to come less responsive. Also when u get so much buildup without cleaning the screen the buildup can like "clog the pores" of the screens which will be real hard to undo.

Also you need a cleaning cloth to properly clean your screen

Jesus f'ing christ
    Attachment 41294 nothing more can be said.
    10-13-09 01:26 AM
    You all act like glass is the strongest material in the world. The screens are scratchable. Diamonds are stronger than glass and people have diamond jewelry and weather you yourself have some or you borrow your phone to someone who is wearing some it can scratch your phone. It can be scratched by earrings while talking, it can be from a necklace if you drop your phone and try to catch it against your chest, a bracelet if your wiping your screen off and the bracelet slips out the top of your sleeve and scratches it. And I'm sure there are other materials that can scratch glass. So why not spend 1 or 2 dollars to prevent that? Congratulations if you have never scratched your screen but that doesn't mean you never will.

A screen protector does not affect conductivity enough for it to be noticeable at all and I find it much easier to scroll with a protector (my fingers never stick compared to when they would sometimes with just the glass). Yes plastic scratches easier than glass but why risk the one scratch that will scratch the glass? Why not let the plastic take the scratch pull it off and throw a new one on for a dollar.

And by the way there are "scratch resistant protectors" too I've had mine on for 6 months not scratches scuffs or anything and it looks as if I dont have one on. Sensitivity has not been affected and I have my backlight set at 10 and can see fine.
    10-13-09 01:55 AM
    Who are you talking about???^^
    10-13-09 04:40 AM
    It can be scratched by earrings while talking, it can be from a necklace if you drop your phone and try to catch it against your chest, a bracelet if your wiping your screen off and the bracelet slips out the top of your sleeve and scratches it.
    10-13-09 05:03 AM
    You all act like glass is the strongest material in the world. The screens are scratchable. Diamonds are stronger than glass and people have diamond jewelry
    You know, from time to time my Storm indeed accidentally drops into one of my diamond-filled chests. But in those cases I don't even bother to get it out again, I just buy a new one. *yawn*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 05:32 AM
    You know, from time to time my Storm indeed accidentally drops into one of my diamond-filled chests. But in those cases I don't even bother to get it out again, I just buy a new one. *yawn*

Same here. LOL
    10-13-09 06:36 AM
    Those of you who don't like screen protectors, we're happy for you. It's incredibly clear that it's a matter of personal opinion.

I like my Phantom Skinz... it's kept the rest of my phone scratch free and improved my scrolling experience due to the change in texture. For me that's worth it. Others like their screen protectors for other reasons (and often because they aren't just protecting their screen).

For the rest of you, we're very happy you like your Storm naked. Enjoy it. With that, it's clear that this conversation is dead and done.
    10-13-09 01:12 PM
    i recently took off my screen protector, and i usually have my storm in a rubber case to but i had it out of it for a day and that day of all days i drop it on concrete...... now i have scuffs on the bezel, that may be all the damage but i hate scratches on anything
    10-13-09 01:16 PM
    yes I too have used the condom expression as its true and I too have been fooled by the thin screen (unfortunately you cant be fooled by a marketed thin condom!). To be perfectly honest I didnt know that it was there and have applied screen protectors on top (its damn thin!). As of right now I have removed this origional screen and am on the manufactures glass. This is where my test will begin. You guys may be right or wrong, I'd like to stay neutral and see what the results give until the S2 comes out,which I assume I will be getting if reviews contiue to be positive and well rounded!
    Let the glass show the way!
    Keep us informed on how it holds up. So far after almost 1 year, my screen is fine with no scratches. I would have benefited from ghost armor or something of the like for the body, but so far there is only one real scratch on the top front bezel piece. Even the rails are in great shape and I've dropped the phone about 4 times now, so it's pretty durable as a device.
    10-13-09 01:36 PM
    Having a screen protector is a matter of preference. It would be nice to see this thread go in a useful direction, such as comparing different brands for those of us who want to use one. The childish banter clogging this thread is not only useless, it is annoying

No matter if we went broke buying our Storms, got them from work, for free, or paid pocket change for them, they are an investment. There is no reason to trash someone for choosing to use a screen protector. Personally, my phone goes through h*ll, so I use one, and will be investing in a stick on vinyl skin soon. When they go bad, I will change them, and sill have a near mint phone.

Just more food for thought..
    10-13-09 01:42 PM
    People do have diamond jewelry just because you can't afford any doesn't mean everyone can't.

My point was there are materials stronger than glass, diamonds were just an example because I knew for sure it's stronger than glass. A lot of people on here are acting like glass is the best material in the universe. I'm sure there are many materials that can scratch glass and just because most people haven't come across a material like this to scratch your phone it can happen. So to try to convince people that you don't need one because it will never get scratched is a poor reason.

To cpugeek4u, I wasn't talking about anybody in particular just everyone on here saying you don't need a screen protector because the screen is "scratch resistant".
    10-13-09 02:16 PM
    I'm another one who doesn't use a screen protector or case, and just stick the phone in my pocket with my keys and change. No problem whatsoever. No scratches at all. The worst is when I'm eating pizza and texting at the same time, but some alcohol or eyeglass cleaner and its all better.
    10-13-09 02:18 PM

LOL I totally missed your post.

Having a screen protector is a matter of preference. It would be nice to see this thread go in a useful direction, such as comparing different brands for those of us who want to use one. The childish banter clogging this thread is not only useless, it is annoying

Just more food for thought..
    Agreed. I think the guy who just removed his and will "test" his is good info assuming results are measured somehow.
    10-13-09 02:27 PM
    Well I'm just going to throw this out there again if it doesn't convince anyone I don't really care lol.

I use my storm by the shower as it is hooked up to a mobile speaker while running pandora.
    While I had a screen protector once getting out of the shower I would not be able to use the phone for up to 5 minutes or so, screen would be unresponsive. I am guessing as I obviously have no direct proof that not only does the cover affect the conductivity since it is mainly plastic but with heat it will expend and become less conductive.
    Now that I removed my screen protector I am no longer experiencing this issue.

10-13-09 02:54 PM
    I use a Seidio's screen protector and it's great, one time I droped the phone on pavement and and it left some scratches on the screen, I peeled back the screen protector and the scratches were only on the protector not the glass, who knows if it would have scratched the glass but odds are it would have. Plus I have never experienced any sensitivity issues with mine.
    10-13-09 03:59 PM
    it all depends on how u use your phone.

do you have a cleaning cloth you use?
    Do you usually have alot of grase on your hands and face..
    My face gets oily alot and my hands sometimes have grease oil on it from my hair grease etc..

like i said everybody situation is diffrent but with me I never cleaned my screen besides a rub on the shirt which doesnt do any good
    So cpugeek4u is:
    ?
    10-13-09 07:27 PM
    Keep us informed on how it holds up. So far after almost 1 year, my screen is fine with no scratches. I would have benefited from ghost armor or something of the like for the body, but so far there is only one real scratch on the top front bezel piece. Even the rails are in great shape and I've dropped the phone about 4 times now, so it's pretty durable as a device.
    yes well have to see. I have pulled all screens (even the thin one!) and will see how things hold up. obviously I'll have to avoid my diamond chest, plutonium and maybe krytonite but as a dirt bag climber that shouldnt be a problem.
    So yes I am a skeptic but do love my storm naked. I hope you are right
    10-13-09 10:05 PM
    yes well have to see. I have pulled all screens (even the thin one!) and will see how things hold up. obviously I'll have to avoid my diamond chest, plutonium and maybe krytonite but as a dirt bag climber that shouldnt be a problem.
    So yes I am a skeptic but do love my storm naked. I hope you are right
    You'll be fine. Just don't drop the phone and scratch the bezel (that's actually the biggest reason I keep my protector on... I've dropped it a few too many times already but the worst that's happened is the battery door popped off. Not a scratch otherwise.)
    10-14-09 12:02 AM
    All I have to say is... wow...
    10-14-09 01:18 AM
    If you are anything like Wolverine watch out of your Adamantium blades when texting... they are bound to scratch the screen!

Recipe for disaster.
    10-14-09 06:19 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD