10-20-09 07:50 PM
79 1234
tools
    Ok ive been on crackberry since january and i can honestly say this is by far the DUMBEST thread ever created. My posting isnt helping matters much but OMFG are you people that worked up over a piece of plastic? GEEEZZZZ.
    10-12-09 01:33 AM
    Whyare u even mentioning this, who knows. Screen protectors are fine
    I just think they are a pointless gimmick when your screen doesn't need added protection.
    10-12-09 05:12 AM
    no screen protector and no problems. Not a scratch or malfunction on my storm and I keep it in my pocket too.
    10-12-09 06:37 AM
    Better response with a screen protector ?? Sounds more like justification for spending money on the protector.. I tried one for two hours and it was horrible.
    10-12-09 07:56 AM
    Ok ive been on crackberry since january and i can honestly say this is by far the DUMBEST thread ever created. My posting isnt helping matters much but OMFG are you people that worked up over a piece of plastic? GEEEZZZZ.
    I couldn't agree more
    10-12-09 08:11 AM
    This is in the OS section because the root of the problem (the unresponsive screen in high humidty/temperature) has long been misunderstood as being an OS problem.. but it's not.
    So then once again, why is this in the OS section
    10-12-09 08:13 AM
    Ok ive been on crackberry since january and i can honestly say this is by far the DUMBEST thread ever created.
    You obviously haven't read this one yet then! Same OP.

Linky Poo!
    10-12-09 08:16 AM
    Ummmmm.. what does this have to do with OS discussion? And you don't need a screen protector because the screen was made to be very scratch resistant, unless you like smashing your phone with bricks
    10-12-09 09:13 AM
    1/ Screen protectors serve no purpose. The screen is Glass.

2/ OP's day to day life must be very complicated if he feels the need to cover glass surfaces with plastic to protect them from his grease problem.
    10-12-09 09:18 AM
    The oil grease dirt humidty can cause your touchscreen to malfuction and not respond after a while if you dont have a screen protector.

Its very important to get a sceen protector
    I'm sorry, but regardless of the grease, oil, dirt, humidity, etc... When you buy a phone that is as expensive as a storm (it was expensive when I bought mine), you get stuff to protect it. Duh.
    10-12-09 11:36 AM
    Used to have mine nekkid, but my next door neighbors aunt knew this guy that had this one friend that used to live right next to this building, you know, the red one. well he had this buddy with a dog. the dog befriended a squirrel during the winter months and the squirrel mentioned that Phantom Skinz are a must!

BTW, he also said that we could bank on a Oct. 25th release cause he overheard these 2 crows talking about the best buy screenshot they saw, But I was sworn to secrecy and cannot release the name of the squirrel. We can just call him Larry.
    10-12-09 12:21 PM
    Common sense most definitely does not equal fact. And considering the relative lack of common sense by most people now-a-days, common sense is worth a whole lot less.

If you can justify it by using the laws of physics and proving that the type of material used provides enough electrical resistance to prevent conduction between the fingers and the screen, then it might be believable. Now then, given that the points that measure the electrical resistance on the screen are not located on the surface of the screen and are instead either embedded in the screen or are located on the lower surface of the screen and are covered by glass, your argument doesn't really fly anyhow.

What I really hate is when people come on here and claim things as fact and say they know things when all they really mean is "this is my opinion and you should listen because I know better than you, even though I have no proof and nothing to back up my supposedly impressive level of intelligence."
    How about this:

Its a law of electrical conductivity that layers between the finger and the touchscreen reduce the electrical current that runs the capacitive touchscreen.

The is no doubt, screen protectors reduce the touchscreen's sensitivity, although some may only reduce it negligibly.

In my experience I haven't found one that didn't clearly reduce the screen's reactions to touch. But some of you who love your screen protectors may not have seen the other side - using one without a protector for a period of time.

<edit>
    Unless you have a screen protector made of a conductive material (silver, gold, copper, etc) it will reduce sensitivity. Most are made of plastic blends, which do not conduct electrical signals
    Last edited by dms936; 10-12-09 at 12:40 PM.
    10-12-09 12:38 PM
    When you buy a phone that is as expensive as a storm (it was expensive when I bought mine), you get stuff to protect it. Duh.
    I find it essential when charging it at night, to ensure that my Storm is placed in a magic circle made from salt, surrounded by pentagrams and candles.

Holy water can also be very effective at keeping the malevolent forces at bay, however over zealous use, could contribute to water damage, so make sure you have the proper insurance.

Best to nail a chicken to your front door as well, just to be on the safe side. You can't be too cautious.
    10-12-09 12:38 PM
    Best to nail a chicken to your front door as well, just to be on the safe side. You can't be too cautious.
    Rubber chicken will not work in place of a real one as I tried this......on my second Storm.
    10-12-09 12:42 PM
    screen protectors get scratched up and ugly looking. Make your phone look lile trash. Ditch the protector and your screen will look better with no scratches. You will save money. You will save time. You will also save the frustration of trying to put those little buggers on perfectly .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Speaks the truth! Get a microfiber cloth and some eyeglass cleaner. Oh snap, the screen looks like new.

10-12-09 12:42 PM
    I use my storm a lot ike 3 batteries a day. Atlest 15 calls a day sextexting email dl docs. any smudges on my storm just wipe on sleeve. The only scratches I have is that black plastic piece up top. [QUOTE=cpugeek4u;3795862]it all depends on how u use your phone.

do you have a cleaning cloth you use?
    Do you usually have alot of grase on your hands and face..
    My face gets oily alot and my hands sometimes have grease oil on it from my hair grease etc..

like i said everybody situation is diffrent but with me I never cleaned my screen besides a rub on the shirt which doesnt do any good[/QUOT

Last edited by moosc; 10-12-09 at 12:48 PM.
    10-12-09 12:44 PM
    I think a screen protector is necessary if you're sporting one of these:

10-12-09 01:07 PM
    I had humidity issues and heat issues when I had my zagg shield. After finally deciding to remove it, the sensitivity on the screen has increased and heat and humidity are no longer a factor for me as it was before with the shield.
    I too have oily skin, although the screen was cleaner and smudge free with the shield which I loved. I'd rather use the storm without it.

10-12-09 02:29 PM
    yowser! good stuff. seriously , good stuff. I just got my chuckles in for the day although...
    I do use a screen protector and I have scratched the **** out of the so called scratch resistant glass. Luckily, I was able to return it when it broke and have since used a screen protector ever since.(not that not having one broke my phone but I was glad to get another one so I could have a clear and scratch free screen)
    So yes it can and does scratch (easily in my opinoin) and yes covering it with a screen protector does suck for many reasons but like a condom we pick the lesser evils! For me and how I use my phone a screen protector is important. when it gets scuffed up I apply a new protector and Voila, Im back to a crystal clear screen.
    10-12-09 02:45 PM
    Nearly 12 months and no screen protector. Not even a scratch. And no I don't use a case either just put it my pocket

Ditto. I'm like moosc. Put it in the pocket and it cleans itself.

Try wiping your screen sometime, works wonders.
    10-12-09 03:31 PM
    Amazing!
    My screen got totally scuffed out and scratched by pocket/backpack storing in about a months time. Thats great you guys were and are able to do this but it sucks when you do scuff the screen and theres no temporary screen to replace.
    As I believe in critical thought and wish I didnt have to use a screen protector, I'm going to go sans screen protector until the S2 comes out. We'll just call it an experiment for experiment sakes and see what happens.
    10-12-09 04:16 PM
    Amazing!
    My screen got totally scuffed out and scratched by pocket/backpack storing in about a months time. Thats great you guys were and are able to do this but it sucks when you do scuff the screen and theres no temporary screen to replace.
    As I believe in critical thought and wish I didnt have to use a screen protector, I'm going to go sans screen protector until the S2 comes out. We'll just call it an experiment for experiment sakes and see what happens.
    Did you check to make sure you don't actually have the very thin protector on your screen that comes with it before you take it out of the box? To check whether you still have this, take a pushpin or the tip of a knife (yes, a knife) and gently drag it across one of the corners of your screen.

If you're screen is really scratched up, this test won't make much difference in case you're afraid to add more scratches. But I'll bet what you find is that the little film of OEM screen protector may still be on your Storm. Many people have found this out doing this test. The Storm's glass screen is excellent at being scratch proof. You can find scratch test videos on YouTube if you care to search.

Let us know what you find by doing this "scratch" test.
    10-12-09 04:21 PM
    1/ Screen protectors serve no purpose. The screen is Glass.
    I beg to differ. The Zagg screen protector I use is less for keeping scratches at bay (I know the glass screen is excellent at doing that already) and more for minimizing the finger smudges left on the screen. Finger smudges are far more visible without the Zagg screen protector than they are with it.
    10-12-09 04:25 PM
    Did you check to make sure you don't actually have the very thin protector on your screen that comes with it before you take it out of the box? To check whether you still have this, take a pushpin or the tip of a knife (yes, a knife) and gently drag it across one of the corners of your screen.

If you're screen is really scratched up, this test won't make much difference in case you're afraid to add more scratches. But I'll bet what you find is that the little film of OEM screen protector may still be on your Storm. Many people have found this out doing this test. The Storm's glass screen is excellent at being scratch proof. You can find scratch test videos on YouTube if you care to search.

Let us know what you find by doing this "scratch" test.
    It is amazing how many people have gotten fooled by this thin film.

10-12-09 04:33 PM
    Screen protectors dull the beauty of the screen. Taking it off is like turning up your brightness a notch or 2 without draining the battery.

It's kind of like sex...good no matter what, but better without the condom.
    10-12-09 04:46 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD