Ive heard stories of people telling me that car chargers kill your battery life, is this true? I would assume that it depends on the quality of the charger itself, am I on the right track?
    12-27-08 03:47 AM
    I have no idea. But I have been using the same charger that I
    bought for $5 at a Family Dollar store for over a year and it has
    harmed neither my phones or batteries. And I use it almost daily.
    12-27-08 03:58 AM
    i think as long as you get a descent one, you wnt have a problem. i dont like using it too much though, because its supposed to be a faster charge. which is harsher.
    12-27-08 05:17 AM
    The key is to make sure that the device you have has a properly regulated output that is stable at 5volts. Most chargers do this but a number of them simply feed the 13.2 volts from the car battery straight into your phone. Then it is frying time.

Various adapters are designed to feed power to any number of appliances. You must buy one that has a USB only output. Mine has a USB connector on it that I feed into a mini-USB hub to power a number of in-car USB devices.

This is SO IMPORTANT that it is just not worth buying a $2.50 charger to wreck a $500 phone.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-27-08 at 05:39 AM.
    12-27-08 05:36 AM
    Like Pete6 said -- it is the output voltage that is important. Most of the phones today (and virtually all BB's) use a 3.2v battery, and they should charge at 5v ( the USB output voltage supply). The battery range in general is 3.2 to 5v.

Keep in mind your car's alternator output is regulated to 13.2v (nominal) but can be 14.5 to 16 volts when the car battery is low or electrical load in the car is very high.

That is why it is important to get a GOOD car charger that can regulate the output voltage to the proper level.

The line in the owner's manual of virtually all phones that says "....don't leave plugged into car charger for long periods of time...." is well-deserved lawyer-speak from the days when the car chargers did not have regulated output, and the 13.2+ volts that went straight to the 6 or 9 volt cellphone batteries (at the time) would indeed fry the batteries.

Not the widespread problem today as it used to be, presuming you get a good regulated-voltage car charger. I've used car chargers connected for 12 hours per day for years with no problems, but I always make sure I know what the charger's output voltage is before I use them in a car.
    12-27-08 09:05 AM
    Also keep in mind Battery Memory. Charging the battery when it is not drained will reduce the longterm life of the battery.
    12-27-08 09:08 AM
    Can anyone tell me if you can delete all the sms messages at once or do I have to do it one at a time? Also, why is there no sms messages in my out box, wouldn't everything I sent be there or is it ALL kept in the in box (un-like computer email platform) Thanks for any help. Orion777
    12-27-08 09:17 AM
    PS... The newer type batteries do not have memory.
    12-27-08 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD