10-29-09 05:22 PM
36 12
tools
    I was just browsing around for Tour accessories on eBay when I ran across a Spring Clip Holster from the same guy that sells the Epik cases!

It seems very similar to the Seidio Spring Lock Holster, but without the locking mechanism (it's also $20 cheaper!). I've been contemplating purchasing the Seidio one for a while, but didn't want to spend $30 when I already use the satisfactory OEM holster.

I ordered one, and will post some pics and a little review when it comes it.

---UPDATE---

I just received my holster today! I live in AZ, so the ship time was just under 2 weeks from Hong Kong (not too bad). Here are some pics and impressions to follow.

Positives:
    • Price - $9.99? You can't beat that!
    • Material - The plastic feels great and seems very durable. It has a little bit of a matte finish/texture. I applied pressure to a few stress points and it feels like it will hold up. The actual spring clip on the top seems like I could break it off, but it is sturdy enough that it doesn't flex where it meets the back of the holster.
    • Fitment - My Tour in its Epik case fits nice and snug. There's a little rubber insert on the inside edge of the spring clip that keeps it tight. Also, the screen facing part of the holster covers almost all of what the case/skin does not (there's just a little sliver where you can see through).
    • Slim - It's much more comfortable to wear versus my OEM leather holster. The OEM holster has a tendency to jab me in the side, and while the belt clip on the Epik sticks out just as far above my belt, it is very nicely rounded.

Negatives:
    • No Lock (compared to the Seidio) - While I'm not sure if this is going to be an issue, it is something the Seidio has.
    • No Magnet - While eBay the listing clearly states "Will maintain Blackberry's 'sleeper' function," the one I received does not.
    • Too Snug? - It's a good thing that your phone won't move around, but it may be a little too tight. For example, when just "snapping" the phone in place, the little rubber insert within the spring clip catches on the case a little. You actually have to push the clip down a little to close it all the way. Your phone's not at risk of just falling out, and the little bit of rubber will probably wear down a little over time, but it's still worth noting. You can always remove the rubber insert, the clip will close all the way, and it still feels snug.

I've never used this style of case before, but when removing my phone the bottom does not slide out too easily. I guess this could be a good or bad thing. It's just "different" from the top loading OEM.

I'm very pleased with this holster with the exception of the missing "sleeper" magnet. I'll be writing the seller back to see if it was just something missing on mine, or if the listing was wrong. It's really not a big deal for me, but it could be for others.

I can already tell that the loading function is going to take some getting used to, but that's just because of what I was using before. I'm going to use this one for the time being and post back if I notice anything else.

(BTW... my first review! )
    Last edited by Troggie; 10-08-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Received my holster
    09-25-09 12:57 PM
    Yeah I ordered it too found out about from another member in the blackberry accessories thread.
    09-25-09 01:00 PM
    Thanks for posting the link! I just ordered one!
    09-25-09 01:02 PM
    only problem with epik is that ya the price is right and the product is good but its the small things that **** me off. The charging port hole and the head phone jack being off is one thing for a $5 case, but you are getting a clip that is going to hold you phone on you belt. what if the QC is off on the spring and boom you phone is gone, i just hope it holds up.
    09-25-09 01:05 PM
    Datdude,
    I just saw that thread. I didn't think to look in the Accessories section since I usually just hang in the Tour section. Oh well. I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts when yours comes in.

Nikstorm,
    This is true. I'll probably perform some stress testing on the case before I use it for my day-to-day stuff. Someone has to do it, right? At least I have insurance.
    09-25-09 01:09 PM
    Datdude,
    I just saw that thread. I didn't think to look in the Accessories section since I usually just hang in the Tour section. Oh well. I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts when yours comes in.

Nikstorm,
    This is true. I'll probably perform some stress testing on the case before I use it for my day-to-day stuff. Someone has to do it, right? At least I have insurance.
    I hope it works out great for you!!!! i love the cases as a whole, but somtimes its the little things that kill. At least you realize it may take some testing, but god forbid it does have problems there will 100+ threads on crack heads who lost there phones.
    09-25-09 01:13 PM
    o The charging port hole and the head phone jack being off is
    You are correct on this. At first I thought that the head phone jack being off was it...which I didn't mind. I just tried to charge my phone and had to pop the phone out of the bottom of the case...which again is no big deal BUT it would be nice to not have to do this
    09-25-09 01:15 PM
    You are correct on this. At first I thought that the head phone jack being off was it...which I didn't mind. I just tried to charge my phone and had to pop the phone out of the bottom of the case...which again is no big deal BUT it would be nice to not have to do this
    you can also cut it a little bigger with a razor or smal sharp scissors...its hard to complain for $5 shipped (lol)
    09-25-09 01:18 PM
    only problem with epik is that ya the price is right and the product is good but its the small things that **** me off. The charging port hole and the head phone jack being off is one thing for a $5 case
    True, but at least due to this website we all knew about these foibles before we got it! I just got my case and yes, the charging port hold and headphone jacks are a bit off. The headphone jack still works fine though, but the charging port hole was resulting in the cable falling out. But I just trimmed 1 mm of rubber off the end of the cable with a knife (took 10 seconds), and that problem is solved (without having to hack at the case).

but you are getting a clip that is going to hold you phone on you belt. what if the QC is off on the spring and boom you phone is gone, i just hope it holds up.
    Very good point. I might hold off until we get some reports on that. I hope it's good, because that holster looks great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 01:26 PM
    haha true that. Its just $5. If it were perfect then other covers would be in tourble
    09-25-09 01:28 PM
    The headphone jack still works fine though, but the charging port hole was resulting in the cable falling out. But I just trimmed 1 mm of rubber off the end of the cable with a knife (took 10 seconds), and that problem is solved (without having to hack at the case).
    That's exactly what I did. I still take the case off at night to drop it in the charging pod, but that's not a big deal.

I think all cases are going to have little things you find wrong with them. I'm just much happier spending $5 rather than $30 on something that's not going to be absolutely perfect.
    09-25-09 01:42 PM
    I got the otterbox defender and I can't use the pod. So I guess every case has its own advantages.
    09-25-09 01:47 PM
    In response to Troggie:

Datdude,

I found that forum when I started noticing the mods were moving threads which were accessory related. I also would just hang in the tour section. As soon as I get I'll let you know. For the price can't go wrong. I also emailed the seller of the epik case about the jack hole not lining up properly.

He/she replied "It is a known issue we have addressed with the factory. I will let you know if we could get them fixed or replaced".
    Last edited by datdude11; 09-25-09 at 05:27 PM. Reason: left something out
    09-25-09 05:25 PM
    I contacted the seller as well about the headphone jack issue and received a similar response. He asked if the issue was the same with all of the cases (I got 3) and offered me replacements. I declined them since it's obviously a defect in the mold. Personally, I don't think it's going to be fixed any time soon (if at all).

Still, I'm happy with every other aspect of the case, so hopefully the holster will be just as good a value. I've never had one with this style before. Mine were always top loading pouches or a case with one of those universal rotating clips on the back. I'm a little worried about the spring part at the top getting caught on something and releasing the phone since it doesn't lock.
    09-25-09 05:35 PM
    I love the epik cases I have 5!! 2 blacks, 1 blue, 1 red and 1 green
    09-25-09 09:07 PM
    Now is the phone supposed to fit in the clip while the phone is in the epic case

09-25-09 09:59 PM
    Cool. I might check it out because I've been warming up to the idea of carrying a holster lately.
    09-25-09 10:14 PM
    I ordered one, and will post some pics and a little review when it comes it.
    Have you got it yet? Well, have ya? Hurry it up, will ya!!! LOL - looking forward to your review as you can tell!

09-28-09 05:51 PM
    Got it! I updated the first post with pics and a review.
    10-08-09 08:26 PM
    Great job on your review. I received my epik holster yesterday. I noticed that my holster does not have the sleeper magnet either. I really dont care for the locking mechanism so its really not an issue for me. I must say the contruction of the case seems to be durable. Very similiar to the Seidio. I recommend this holster to anyone using an epik skin case. I might just order a second holster when I order a new skin case as a backup. I agree does take some getting use to especially when getting the phone out of the holster.
    10-09-09 02:19 AM
    Thanks datdude!

Would you happen to have a Seidio case? I'm wondering if those cases will fit since Epiks fit in the Seidio holster.
    10-09-09 09:15 AM
    I just ordered one of these! I love the Epik case/skin. I currently am using the OEM holster but it's very bulky. It's a good case and all and it was free but I think the Epik case will take care of my bulk issue for me. Once I get it and use it for a bit I will report any issues I may have.

Thanks to the OP for this post/link!
    10-09-09 09:50 AM
    Thanks datdude!

Would you happen to have a Seidio case? I'm wondering if those cases will fit since Epiks fit in the Seidio holster.
    I have an Innocase II case and I tried it on with the epik holster. The phone fits but the clip that latches over the top of the phone does not completely grab the phone unless you remove that rubber piece on the clip or you push it in manually. I do not recommend using the holster with a seidio case.
    10-09-09 11:26 AM
    Hey Troggie,

Let me know what the seller's response is about the sleeper magnet.
    10-09-09 11:30 AM
    I don't know if they changed the description, but it now says "Does not work to maintain Blackberry's "sleeper" function"

10-09-09 12:05 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD