Hey I was checking out the stock case that came with my new curve 8320 and I noticed a magnet in it. I went on the blackberry website and checked under the accessories description and apparently the case has an Energy-Saving Magnetic Sensor in it. I finally realized that this was why my phone would exit standby mode whenever I would take it out of the case. I was just wondering if anyone knew how this saves battery life or anything else about it. Thanks.
    12-26-08 04:17 AM
    Because when you put the phone into cse it immediatly puts the phone in sleep mode. I've forgotten and put my phone in there with the camera on and instead of the camera and screen being on for the next two hours I pulled my phone out and had a perfectly normal charge in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 04:58 AM
    It puts it into sleep mode. This also enables the "in holster" settings in your profiles. Probably the best feature about your berry. Saves battery life, allows for different ringtone styles, eliminates the need to lock your keyboard etc.
    12-26-08 05:02 AM
    best thing about the sleep mode, gotta give the berry a rest sometime

Since they are always very active devices
    12-26-08 09:56 AM
    Thanks everyone, I know it was a small question but I appreciate the responses.
    12-26-08 10:23 PM
    yeah when it is sitting on my desk at work i rest it on top of the case and it still puts it into sleep mode as well. so whenever i get a message i pick it up and it pops rite up.

took awhile to see that their was a magnet untill one day i was messing around at work and had it in hand and it kinda stuck to a metal file cabinet, lol
    12-26-08 10:46 PM
    I carry mine in a holster with a sleeper magnet, it's a small side case, i can access it very quick...
    12-26-08 10:49 PM
    I was wondering why in the manuel it says to keep in case whenever possible(or something like that). Good to know.
    12-26-08 10:54 PM
    If you want to make any holster you buy put your phone to sleep, go to walmart or a craft store and buy a neodium magnet and stick it to the outside near the lower half of the BB. It works like a charm .
    12-26-08 10:54 PM
    Sleeper holsters are a definite must for decent battery life
    12-26-08 11:26 PM
    Does the basic black vinyl pouch have a magnet in to put BB to sleep then?
    12-27-08 07:47 AM
    Not the pouch that comes with the BB from VZW. It is. Worth while purchase.

12-27-08 07:53 AM
    The pouch that came with my bb curve from vzw definitely has a magnet...

12-27-08 08:02 AM
    I received a pocket pouch with a magnet and belt-clip holster without with my Pearl. Since I found the pouch useless, I decided to put it to good use by cutting the magnet out of it, and gluing it in my holster. Works like a charm! I just kept it in a half inch radius of the pouch material, so it wouldn't scratch my berry and gave me plenty of material to glue.
    12-27-08 08:03 AM
    Hi all. i got a not so authentic BB case for my storm. it also got a magnet on it. do you think it's not in anyway harmful for my device? Does RIM recommend an original BB case? Thanks!

Lew
    06-24-10 06:49 AM
    Ok, I cannot find on my phone a 'holster sleep mode'. I wanted to make sure that I had it set to go to sleep or standby when it was in the holster and I can't find it. Could someone show me where to check the settings? Thanks.
    JB
    06-24-10 11:51 AM
    As long as the holster is made for your model, it'll work. If not, no harm can come.

There is no setting for the holster to have it work. There are settings for the profiles to change them when in the holster.
    06-24-10 12:27 PM
    I'm on my home screen, icons showing, wallpaper there, I put my BB in my otter box holster (it has a magnet), should I see the screen change to Standby or Sleep mode? My just sits there until the screen dims.
    JB
    06-24-10 01:03 PM
    You can't have a sleeper magnet with an otterbox. You'd never be able to use it.
    06-24-10 01:19 PM
    I do have a magnet on the back lower part of my otterbox holster. I can think of no other purpose for it. It is in the exact location that the magnet is with the original case. I doubt that it is an accident that it is there. I have my original leather case with magnet. I took the BB out of the otterbox and put in in the leather case and it did not go to Standby mode. At this point I am pretty certain that it is not automatic and that it is tied to some software setting somewhere.
    06-24-10 03:50 PM
    I do have a magnet on the back lower part of my otterbox holster. I can think of no other purpose for it. It is in the exact location that the magnet is with the original case. I doubt that it is an accident that it is there. I have my original leather case with magnet. I took the BB out of the otterbox and put in in the leather case and it did not go to Standby mode. At this point I am pretty certain that it is not automatic and that it is tied to some software setting somewhere.
    Trust me please.
    A. Oterbox cases are designed as perrmanent housings. If you never remove it, a sleeper magnet won't work.
    B. If you position a strong magnet by the lower center of the back of your curve, I'll giarantee you the bugger will go to sleep.
    C. If it doesn't, and you've moved the magnet up down and side to side an inch, you've a defect in your device. The original pouch, not holster, will definitely put it to sleep. I've had far too many blackberries to get this wrong.

Posted from my berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 09:01 PM
    A BlackBerry's screen will go dark instantly and the device goes to sleep when a magnet comes in contact with the lower back. Just to be sure, I just tested my 9700 - it went right to sleep. I also remember testing it on my old 8320. It is automatic and there is no setting for it.

Now if a device is to remain in a case, say an Otter Box, they wouldn't be too bright if they put a magnet in it.

Last edited by exelant; 06-24-10 at 10:23 PM.
    06-24-10 09:56 PM
    Hyberpad.

A leather pad with 3 magnets to work with any BB with a sleeper sensor.

Google hyberpad to see reviews or watch the youtube video.

It does work with an Otterbox or any other skin.

Would love to do a give away on Crackberry if anyone is listening....
    06-28-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD