12-25-09 09:44 AM
106 1234 ...
tools
    I understand the logic behind the OP statment... I bought a droid then switched to storm. At the same time, my wife bought an LG phone... Verizon sold us the idenical car chargers for all 3 phones as well as spare 2 spare chargers.. did verizon screw up??
    yea they did.

Thinka bout you all, if what some of you all saying is true(it doesnt matter.batteries have built in cicuit) then why do they even make battery chargers with diffrent volts and amps. Even the Storm 1 and Storm 2 charger has diffrent specs I belive.

Check the blackberries, like a curve and storm. I bet u the specs are diffrent. But why would they make it diffrent if it doenst matter. Its because it does matter
    12-09-09 07:55 PM
    :sigh:

Yet another "fact-filled" thread brought to CrackBerry by cpugeek.

USB... car charger... wall charger. All are rated slightly differently. Yet, NONE of them will damage your phone. Don't worry fellow Storm-chasers... the sky is not falling after all.
    12-09-09 07:55 PM
    I use the standard charger with a dock at home and a generic car charger...never had any problems. My battery life still rocks and it did as well with my Storm1.
    12-09-09 08:02 PM
    nope. all are compatible.
    Not exactly... well yes they are but not 100%

Connecting the latest LG chocolate charger to my S2 displays a message like this charger isn't meant for this - pls change... something like that.
    However, being the lazy person I am I have left it for charge for nights and it has worked.. now I'm back to my original
    12-09-09 08:11 PM
    i wish this forum had a feature that u can filter out certain user's posts like other vBulliten boards.
    12-09-09 08:19 PM
    the only thing i've noticed with some of the aftermarket chargers is that it makes my screen spaz out while it's plugged in. i'll push on the screen and it will click multiple times.
    If your screen decided to "spaz out" it would be a problem with your phone, exchange it for a new one.
    Funny a 12 volt car charger has not been mentioned. Obviously the bb has the voltage regulating circuitry to prevent overcharging or the battery would "spaz out" when you plugged it into the car charger.
    I thought geek said he was leaving this site if he was wrong on the release date of the storm2?
    Maybe I misread something.? Or maybe I am starting to spaz out! I like that word, spaz out. Thanks dude!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JRSIMPSON; 12-09-09 at 08:24 PM.
    12-09-09 08:19 PM
    My car charger has an input of 12v and has an output of 5v, 1.35A as mentioned in my previous post. I don't think I've seen a USB car charger that outputs as much as its input Most USB car chargers anyway output 5v
    Last edited by TailGater; 12-09-09 at 08:42 PM.
    12-09-09 08:35 PM
    All USB components are supposed to be 5v. If you have a charger putting out anything over that it is exceeding the maximum voltage for the micro USB end that is on the cord. 850A is the max rating as well. There is a voltage regulator in the phone to stabilize voltage before it gets to the battery. Of an overvolt condition is present it will not charge. Same as an undervoltage and underamperage condition.
    I figured it had something like that in place... RIM would be completely stupid if they did not throw in a simple voltage regulation circuit...

My point was that the only thing that people need to make sure of when using a different charger, is the voltage. If the voltages are the same, then the charger should work just fine. The amperage does not matter too much. It only tells you how fast it will charge it. As long as it is within the limits.
    12-09-09 10:47 PM
    If your screen decided to "spaz out" it would be a problem with your phone, exchange it for a new one.
    Funny a 12 volt car charger has not been mentioned. Obviously the bb has the voltage regulating circuitry to prevent overcharging or the battery would "spaz out" when you plugged it into the car charger.
    I thought geek said he was leaving this site if he was wrong on the release date of the storm2?
    Maybe I misread something.? Or maybe I am starting to spaz out! I like that word, spaz out. Thanks dude!

Smart end.. 12volt car charger is DC volts which is converted to AC volts which steps down the voltage to about 4 in the process. U cant charge a phone with dc voltage which a car battery gives out. Also the 12 volts is th einput not the input

next time do your research before your you open your mouth boy
    12-09-09 11:09 PM
    Good info, please stick with oem products for any phone.
    12-09-09 11:14 PM
    Im using the AC to USB Zune Charger-
    5V - 1A works great-
    12-09-09 11:19 PM
    I see some of u are charging you storm with battery chargers other then that used for the storm even though the plug is the same. DONT DO THAT.

The voltage and the current is different per different chargers and even though it will charge the battery and fits plug , it also kills the battery lifespan and effectinves because it will overchrge battery or overheat it
    Wrong. The phone uses a USB circuit to charge. The chargers that are usb compatible will all work. The phone is taking care of any adjustment internally. The only possibility would be too low pwer but that wouldnt hurt it, just keep it from charging.
    Perfect example, the adapters that simply have a usb socket and feed power to any USB device plugged in with its own cable adapter.
    USB standard has a max power and any adapter that is usb compat will have to be that or less. Otherwise it would burn out ANY usb device plugged in, be it the Storm2 or the usb type device that came with the adapter.

On a micro usb charger you will only find 4.75-5.25, which is what the USB standard specifies can power a device.

Current listed is maximum the adapter will deliver.

When you connect a USB cable to a computer you are possibly getting the maximum voltage that USB allows and about 500-600ma of current delivery.

The BB has a built in circuit that limits the charging.

I used generic third party chargers for a year on my S1 with no issues.
    Car chargers with USB output from various manufacturers.
    Generic desktop.
    Motorola with the motorola pigtail.
    Etc...
    The only device I've ever seen that freaks out without its original adapter was my old Moto Razr.. It used a USB plug, and its charger would charge any other usb device I plugged in (used to charge my BT headset with it all the time), but it had a circuit that the phone would detect and if you used a non-moto charger it would show on screen "Un authorized charger. Battery will not charge".. It would power the phone for use, but NOT charge the bat at all until you plugged into a Moto brand charger...

Completely not true. Devices with lithium batteries almost always have a regulator to prevent the battery from over charging. If they didn't, they'd blow up if you left them on the standard charger over night.
    My point exactly.. Plus all devices with USB plugs have regulators to handle up to the full rated output standard for USB.

You can plug your phone into any micro USB and as long as there is enough current it will charge. If there is not enough current the phone will let you know. There is a voltage regulator in the phone to prevent overcharging and overheating of the battery. Please do not talk about things and issue warnings on things that you do not understand.

Not that anyone needs to pay attention to you.
    Yep My first thought was "oh, here is a RIM parts rep wanting to make sure we only buy from them"
    12-09-09 11:20 PM
    Smart end.. 12volt car charger is DC volts which is converted to AC volts which steps down the voltage to about 4 in the process. U cant charge a phone with dc voltage which a car battery gives out. Also the 12 volts is th einput not the input

pot, meet kettle.
    12-09-09 11:24 PM
    Ugh, please stop feeding into this false information. Its total BS.

There's a reason why Europe, the GSM Association, etc & practically every phone maker, BT headset maker, etc made micro-usb a STANDARD. Its so we dont have to keep buying new freakin accessories or the "made for" accessories everytime we use a different phone or device.

Its almost 2010 guys. They pretty much have this charging stuff licked.
    12-09-09 11:48 PM
    cpugeek I wish you would stop posting information like this. This thread is fail. All your going to do is misinform people. While your logic may seem sound to people who don't know it's wrong.

There are specs that must be adhered to when making chargers/cables for USB. This is to make sure what you are trying to pass on to people won't happen.

And more on the point, the phone has a built in voltage regulator on the main board to prevent over charging and over volting.

Case and point: A/C adapters with USB connectors built in them.

Belkin : Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger

Last edited by mrspock2002; 12-10-09 at 12:16 AM.
    12-10-09 12:12 AM
    Why do you all listen to cpugeek4u. By now, his rep should be well known!
    12-10-09 12:18 AM
    Why do you all listen to cpugeek4u. By now, his rep should be well known!
    Watch what you say... remember he has a close family friend that is high up in RIM and drives a Bently!
    12-10-09 12:34 AM

The voltage is not converted to AC. You'd need a big ole transformer. Voltage regulation is done with zener diodes. DC all the way through. Maybe you need to do some research. Take one apart sometime. No transformers to be found.

12-10-09 12:34 AM
    The voltage is not converted to AC. You'd need a big ole transformer. Voltage regulation is done with zener diodes. DC all the way through. Maybe you need to do some research. Take one apart sometime. No transformers to be found.

Ugh don't tell him to take something electrical apart without a disclaimer.. Knowing him he would and get fried.
    12-10-09 12:51 AM
    This post and cpu = fail

12-10-09 01:04 AM
    Spock, I would hope anyone reading his post would take cpugeek's grammar and spelling abilities (or lack thereof) into consideration when trying to determine the validity of his post.

12-10-09 01:17 AM
    Spock, I would hope anyone reading his post would take cpugeek's grammar and spelling abilities (or lack thereof) into consideration when trying to determine the validity of his post.

Yes I suppose you are correct...
    12-10-09 01:34 AM

Do your research, car chargers are 12VDC in and 5VDC out. There is no AC involved in that car charger. Stop spewing stuff that you clearly have no understanding of and take a basic electrical course if you really want to know about electrical flow and how you can convert from AC to DC and back.
    12-10-09 09:59 AM
    I thought the car chargers were regulated also but i had one here a while back and i tossed a full coke bottle in the seat of my truck and it hit the plug in the dash and split the plug wide open. After looking it over there was nothing in here but the 2 wires coming from the plug contacts, not even a fuse. No diodes inside the plug anywhere and couldnt have been in the cord anywhere could they? Only place i didnt look was at the usb end and that was so small i do not think there could have been any diodes there. Seemed to be just coiled cord all the way from the plug contacts to the usb plug. Wish i had not of thrown it in the trash now! I have another off brand charger but it has no numbers or name anywhere on it. Dosent appear to be any way to get it apart either!

Not sure why cpugeek is still allowed to post here. I guess no one cares how heshe makes this site look? I think some house cleaning is in order around here, if anyone has the nutz to do it!
    12-10-09 10:48 AM
    I thought the car chargers were regulated also but i had one here a while back and i tossed a full coke bottle in the seat of my truck and it hit the plug in the dash and split the plug wide open. After looking it over there was nothing in here but the 2 wires coming from the plug contacts, not even a fuse. No diodes inside the plug anywhere and couldnt have been in the cord anywhere could they? Only place i didnt look was at the usb end and that was so small i do not think there could have been any diodes there. Seemed to be just coiled cord all the way from the plug contacts to the usb plug. Wish i had not of thrown it in the trash now! I have another off brand charger but it has no numbers or name anywhere on it. Dosent appear to be any way to get it apart either!

Not sure why cpugeek is still allowed to post here. I guess no one cares how heshe makes this site look? I think some house cleaning is in order around here, if anyone has the nutz to do it!
    I have a cheap one that the USB end came apart on. There was a voltage regulator in the end of the cable. It was a small one so that is probably how they are keeping the amperage down on it. But as I mentioned earlier the max current that those ends are rated for is 850mA max. There are some chargers out there that are rated at 1.5A or better but typically most of your devices are rated to pull < 850mA.
    12-10-09 10:56 AM
106 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD