I saw this Seidio battery cover replacement that has a cutout for the speaker. I don't have my Curve yet so I was wondering if this battery cover really makes a difference or not? Is the sound that much louder with it?

Seidio OEM Sized Rubberized Battery Door w/ Speaker Opening for BlackBerry 8300 Series - ShopCrackBerry
    04-12-08 06:48 PM
    I've never tried it so I can't really be sure but it seems that the sound would be a little better because of the opening. If you know how sound travels it basically bounces off the battery door with the hole it projects out more.
    04-12-08 07:05 PM
    The Curve does have cut outs for the sound, well sort of. They are two slits on the top and the Curve has some of the loudest ringing of any phone I have had in a long time. I don't doubt that the battery door you linked to will help, but I don't really think it is needed help.
    04-12-08 07:10 PM
    I tried making a call and took the battery cover on and off repeatedly. The difference is apparent on some words and not on others. The stock cover is pretty thin so it really doesn't obstruct the sound much, but the Seidio one says it's "rubberized" and I'd think that might muffle the sound much more.

So, it's possible that when they designed the thing, it was a rubberized cover to start with, and then when they put it on, they realized, "Oh wow, this really screws up the sound. We had better cut some holes in this thing." So, now that the holes are obvious, they figured it would be a good part of the sales pitch.

The one shown in the pic looks weird though...I don't have a curve but I don't think it has a camera at the top. The cover seems to have a camera cutout.

Anyway, I love my Invisible Shield...it goes over the battery cover as well, so there's no worry about scratching anything up.
    04-12-08 07:31 PM
    Well I'm undecided right now but most likely will put a rubberized skin on the BB so I was thinking that might muffle the sound a little...but without a BB in hand, I don't actually know. I thought if I have a battery cover with a speaker hole, as well as a skin with a hole in it, there would definitely not be an issue with sound/volume.

I just don't want to waste $$ on something that makes a marginal difference.

Anyway, I love my Invisible Shield...it goes over the battery cover as well, so there's no worry about scratching anything up.
    I ordered a BestSkinEver so maybe I'll just forgo the rubber skin altogether and use the BSE instead. How does the InvisibleShield hold up if you put your BB in your pocket? Do I still need to worry about scratches?
    Last edited by CFD323; 04-12-08 at 08:34 PM.
    04-12-08 08:31 PM
    I have a Pearl and I got the back cover with the speaker cutout and I would say that is is about 25% louder now.
    I just got a silicone skin last week and because it covers the speaker hole the sound was much softer than before I had the speaker hole so I had to 'modify' my skin and make a speaker cutout and the combination is perfect now!
    I do recommend the battery door with the speaker cutout!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 09:59 AM
    When I talk on it I can hear a little difference, but the main difference that I notice is when I use the media player. Music is a big difference, but movies are a huge difference.
    05-15-08 01:19 PM
    Well, I ordered that battery cover from Seidio, for my Curve, and took it on a trip with me (to Bangkok) and it works great! The sound quality also depends on how you hold the phone. If you were to cup it (put BB in the palm of your hand) then the sound that's coming out of that cut-out will reflect from your hand so you get sort of amplified effect.

Same thing can't be said about the fitting of the cover though. The cover doesn't lie perfectly flat like the OEM cover does. It doesn't flush against the rest of the back panel but then again, maybe that's just me.

The cover also attracts dust pretty easily. I had to wipe it off a few times to clean it for the shot below and you can still see some tiny specks there.

BB worked great in Bangkok though. Full signal in most places I went. Now I'm just waiting for the bill (for roaming and data usage). LOL
    Last edited by Edd; 05-16-08 at 11:25 PM.
    05-16-08 09:00 PM
    Can't speak for the curve, but the battery cover with the speaker cut out made a WORLD of difference in my Pearl--like someone else, I had to "modify" my silicone covers to accomodate it, but it was worth it.
    05-16-08 10:24 PM
    Drill a hole on the OEM cover
    05-16-08 10:29 PM
    Well, I ordered that battery cover from Seidio, for my Curve, and took it on a trip with me (to Bangkok) and it works great! The sound quality also depends on how you hold the phone. If you were to cup it (put BB in the palm of your hand) then the sound that's coming out of that cut-out will reflect from your hand so you get sort of amplified effect.

Same thing can't be said about the fitting of the cover though. The cover doesn't lie perfectly flat like the OEM cover does. It doesn't flush against the rest of the back panel but then again, maybe that's just me.

The cover also attracts dust pretty easily. I had to wipe it off a few times to clean it for the shot below and you can still see some tiny specks there.

BB worked great in Bangkok though. Full signal in most places I went. Now I'm just waiting for the bill (for roaming and data usage). LOL

How rubbery is the cover? I had the BB OEM skin on my Curve originally but it wasn't what I thought it would be. It made the BB slick to hold in my opinion. I'm looking for a rubbery cover that will make it easier to hang onto the BB, as well as making the BB less slick when it's laying on a table etc.

And what do you mean about the Seidio cover not lying flat? Is it rounded (bowed) out ?

Thanks
    05-17-08 10:24 AM
    How does the InvisibleShield hold up if you put your BB in your pocket? Do I still need to worry about scratches?
    InvisibleShield is as good as it claims....Complete protection against scratches....It's just awesome...It's difficult to beleive that it's so good unless one uses it....
    05-17-08 11:31 AM
    How rubbery is the cover? I had the BB OEM skin on my Curve originally but it wasn't what I thought it would be. It made the BB slick to hold in my opinion. I'm looking for a rubbery cover that will make it easier to hang onto the BB, as well as making the BB less slick when it's laying on a table etc.

And what do you mean about the Seidio cover not lying flat? Is it rounded (bowed) out ?

Thanks
    That's probably one of the reasons I switched from OEM cover. I found it to be too slippery for my taste and so far, Seidio battery cover seems to have fixed that problem (less slippery, provides better grip, etc). Now it won't spin when you lay it on the table. LOL One thing though, and this was also mentioned in another thread, that shiny metal part that allows for self-portrait when using the BB camera isn't recessed.

As for the fitting, what I mean is that when you snap it in, it doesn't flush with the rest of the back panel (maybe it's just my unit). it raises up just a tiny bit. It's no big deal.. for me anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Edd; 05-17-08 at 07:34 PM.
    05-17-08 01:20 PM
    All I know is that on my 8330, that rear speaker is only active with the speaker phone, which I never use. I'd rather have the weather sealing than a hole there. The stock cover is good enough since the output is pretty loud and the material there is non-metalicized plastic.
    05-25-08 05:31 AM
    Just got the battery cover and I've been a/b'ing it for the days and I have noticed an increase in volume coming out...It's not gonna blow your socks off, but it's worth the money invested...The main thing I like is that it fits very well for an aftermarket cover...Very satisfied with it...
    05-31-08 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD