08-18-09 09:48 AM
28 12
tools
    My friend was trying to convince me that the holster is bad for the phone in the long run because of all the "standby switching" it does.

I didnt really agree with him, but I will admit, it got me thinking a little bit. So I wanted to come on here and have the crackberry nation reassure me that he's a fool, and the holster is fine.

But I could see how it could eventually make the phone "lag" over time. By lag, I mean, take longer to snap out of standby mode when u take it out of the holster..

thoughts?
    08-17-09 08:28 AM
    No. As a matter of fact, I just bought a Bold holster that allows me to slip the phone in, with a silicon skin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 08:31 AM
    No. As a matter of fact, I just bought a Bold holster that allows me to slip the phone in, with a silicon skin

dude.. is it possible to post a link for the holster and the skin?

I've been wanting that combo bad
    08-17-09 08:43 AM
    It'd be one thing if the BlackBerry standby mode was like Hibernation on a Windows laptop. Where you're writing data from the memory onto the hard drive. But obviously that's not the case. I really don't see how any harm could be done to the device, certainly not from a hardware point of view.

Could it be possible that you could hose the software on it? Sort of like how after time a Windows installation gets slower just from the sheer crap that goes on behind the scenes in Windows? I supposed but that's nothing that can't be solved by reinstalling I suppose. Not to mention how do you know the software got out of whack from standby mode versus just standard time of use issues like in Windows? You wouldn't be able to know unless there was a massive poll of people who used standby mode versus those who don't and if they had to reinstall.

The screen perhaps? Well the liquid crystals in the display are switching on and off even during normal use many many many times a second. I don't think powering them on and off while putting in and taking it out of your holster would wear them out.

That leaves just the back light for the screen, powered by LEDs which are not like incandescent bulbs which some argue have their lives shorten by constant switching on and off. Not to mention how many years have most of us have had other BlackBerry's and the back light fails how often? I have 20 users I administer, all with 8830s (two myself included upgraded to Tours) and out of those 20 the back light has only failed once (the user wound up upgrading to a Tour as a replacement) and it was more likely from her dropping the thing, especially since she didn't use a holster. Although I don't know if the 8830 has the same standby feature as the Tour.

Honestly, I think what your friend suggested is about... to be blunt and frank... about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Although I've seen stupider things turn out to be true before... right now, IMHO I think there's no harm in holstering your Tour and I'm going to continue to do so.

Besides, I highly doubt I'll keep the thing long enough for it to fail. What are the chances I won't upgrade to whatever replaces the Tour in two-three years? Slim.
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 08-17-09 at 08:56 AM.
    08-17-09 08:53 AM
    Thats what i was looking for^

thanks lol
    08-17-09 08:56 AM
    I could see why your friend may have developed that opinion.
    I did find that with my Curve there was a bit of lag over time as far as going in and out of stand by but this was something of a "check point" for me. When I started to notice this happening, it would normally be followed by other types of lag. Both issues would resolve with a battery pull.
    After a while I downloaded Quickpull and set it for twice a week (once probably would have been fine) and I never had the problem again.
    If you are woried about this but still want to use the holster, pick up an aftermarket one that doesn't support the Blackberry Stand by function.
    Actually I found that the Storm holster fits the Tour very well and due to the placing of the magnet it does not put the Tour into Stand by. The only problem with the Storm holster as well as an after market (non Blackbwerry Specific) Holster is it probably will not have the channel on the inside for the trackball and you may end up scrolling and selecting when inserting and removing your Blackberry from it's non blackberry holster.
    08-17-09 08:58 AM
    Well I really like that the holster puts the phone into stanby mode.. thats 75% of the reason why i use the holster

im happy with it
    08-17-09 09:05 AM
    I think your fine but you know you can change the settings so it doesn't go into standby when holstered, correct?

08-17-09 09:07 AM
    I think your fine but you know you can change the settings so it doesn't go into standby when holstered, correct?

yea i know this..

once again, the main reason i use the holster is because it DOES put the phone in standby

i love that for battery saving features.. i just wanted to see if anyone had experience with a problem with this
    08-17-09 09:15 AM
    I simply hold the mute button down for a half second and put it in standby myself. Using standby mode significantly increases the battery life throughout the day.
    08-17-09 09:39 AM
    I got AutoStandby so I benefitted from battery-saving standby mode without needing to hit the mute button or use the holster.
    08-17-09 10:28 AM
    it helps save the battery, witch in turn lets you use the phone longer. That is a win win for everyone.
    08-17-09 10:54 AM
    I've been using the OEM leather holster/OEM silicone skin combo on my Curve 8300 for over 2 years. I use suspend religiously, either by button or by holster. I'm running OS 4.5, several apps, and I have no lag whatsoever when unsuspending it.

The sleeper magnet function has been a feature of Blackberry holsters since the very early days. If it caused long-term harm to the device, I'm pretty sure RIM would have discontinued it by now.
    08-17-09 10:59 AM

I want this combo too, let me know what cases you bought.
    08-17-09 12:58 PM
    Only way it would/could harm the phone is by physically scratching it going in and out of it all the time.

08-17-09 01:03 PM
    My friend was trying to convince me that the holster is bad for the phone in the long run because of all the "standby switching" it does.

I didnt really agree with him, but I will admit, it got me thinking a little bit. So I wanted to come on here and have the crackberry nation reassure me that he's a fool, and the holster is fine.

But I could see how it could eventually make the phone "lag" over time. By lag, I mean, take longer to snap out of standby mode when u take it out of the holster..

thoughts?
    BB Holster inst bad for your BB...well of the exception of 9630 I feel.
    I dumped BB holster going to Case logic holster pulling the 2 very small fastener magnets out out of hasp replacing with thin two sided velcro tape.
    The reason for this is I believe 9630 internal Antenna is cause of signal issue-Voice muffle which magnets help contribute to.
    No magnets = good for 9630 internal antenna
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-17-09 at 01:30 PM.
    08-17-09 01:21 PM
    I agree with Sling. Magnets can't be good for your device. My 1st Tour had really bad signal issues after i carried it in the BB holster a few times.
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 08-17-09 at 01:55 PM.
    08-17-09 01:53 PM
    I have to disagree with the last two posts... I don't see how the magnets could be bad at all. I've been using holsters for my bb's for 3 years now and never had an issue with signal issue. I'm a heavy user and my phone easily goes in and out of standby more than 50 times a day mon-fri. So for me... 3 years... 4 bb's including my tour.. and not a single defect.

From my experience I'd say that the holster/magnets will not harm the phone in the long run.
    08-17-09 03:00 PM
    +1 for the scratching while going in and out. I use a verizon privacy protector and this thing very scuffed up. Though tend to normally. You can still listen to pandora while it is in the holdster. I'm sure the magnets will not be an issue. Don't even worry about that. Standby rules on this.

08-17-09 04:42 PM
    I have to disagree with the last two posts... I don't see how the magnets could be bad at all. I've been using holsters for my bb's for 3 years now and never had an issue with signal issue. I'm a heavy user and my phone easily goes in and out of standby more than 50 times a day mon-fri. So for me... 3 years... 4 bb's including my tour.. and not a single defect.

From my experience I'd say that the holster/magnets will not harm the phone in the long run.
    Name the last three BBs you owned that didn't have signal cycle-voice muffle like 9630 has.
    Does it make sense now?
    9630 symptoms point to intrnael antenna ,Slap some magnets around it isn't a good idea.
    I did unfortunately having to send back 1 ,2 units going with replacement due to increased signal cycle with voice muffle getting pretty bad.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-17-09 at 09:05 PM.
    08-17-09 08:27 PM
    Tell your friend that pressing the keys on the keyboard over and over again could be bad for the device, too - then call him a knucklehead.

08-17-09 08:38 PM
    I think there will be nothing but benefits using a holster
    08-17-09 08:46 PM
    Tell your friend that pressing the keys on the keyboard over and over again could be bad for the device, too - then call him a knucklehead.

Great point lol
    08-17-09 09:00 PM
    Holster FTW!
    08-17-09 09:13 PM
    Name the last three BBs you owned that didn't have signal cycle-voice muffle like 9630 has.
    Does it make sense now?
    9630 symptoms point to intrnael antenna ,Slap some magnets around it isn't a good idea.
    I did unfortunately having to send back 1 ,2 units going with replacement due to increased signal cycle with voice muffle getting pretty bad.
    Let me start by correcting myself... I have had 4 BB's over 2 years.. not 3(I honestly don't remember using a dumb phone.. it feels like it's been FOREVER). In order these are the BB's I've used... 8130, 8330, 9530, 8330(same), and 9630(all vzw). I have used holsters, pouches, clips, etc all with magnets and never had as single phone "signal cycle" or "voice muffle".

Don't get me wrong I have read about all of the 9630 problems(even that the tour is the reason for CB forums being slow) and I have had maybe 10% of these issues. I don't doubt that there is a problem with some 9630 hardware keeping a solid radio connection... but I don't think that it could even remotely have anything to do with antenna vs magnet. IMPO I don't think this is a software issue either. If I HAD to choose I would say that the "signal cycle" would be either network or hardware issue. As far as the "voice muffle" I would say it is definitely hardware related.

Currently I have 3 VZW BB's all that have been used in holsters in front of me and here are the signal dBm readings.

9630: -93
    8330: -91
    8130: -93

Off topic(kind of) real quick... do you think that the observed signal cycle issue could have anything to do with being left on the default "Network Technology" setting at "Global"? I changed mine to "1XEV" about a week after I first received my Tour.
    08-18-09 06:56 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD