So I finally broke down and purchased the Seidio Innocase Surface combo for my Torch. I had this setup for my Tour and it was fantastic. Great quality, great fit, and lasted me a little over 2 years until I got my Torch.

Right from the start I could tell it wouldn't be the same experience this time. There are two issues that all potential purchasers must be aware of:

First, the case scratched my Torch in two locations (fairly deep scratches too). I had this case on very little (twice for a total of 2 hours) and you can see what it did in my pictures below. I can't imagine having it on for a year or more. Inside the Seidio plastic screen piece, there are marks/lines I'm assuming from the mold they use to shape the plastic... and they stick out, causing my scratches. Maybe mine's defective, but quality control should pick up on things like this.

Scratch Pic 1
    Scratch Pic 2
    Scratch Pic 3
    Scratch Pic 4

Second, the Seidio clips holding the screen part of the case interfere with the operation of the screen. The biggest issue for me is the clips just above the keyboard prevent the screen from sliding closed all the way. Even with the screen closed, it's open a little and resting on the Seidio clips. That's fine, but when the screen is closed and you press the trackpad, menu, or any of the front buttons, the screen pushes in and slides up a little (hard to explain, but open your Torch and look below your spacebar... see how it's curved up all nice and sleek at the edge where it normally meets the bottom of your screen? The Seidio tab rests there, so when you press down on a button, the clip rides that curve and pushes the screen in and up). This sensation instantly made the Torch feel cheap and wobbly.

Clip Pic 1
    Clip Pic 2
    Clip Pic 3

I had such hopes for a great case from Seidio, but they should have left this one on the drawing board in my opinion. This post is just to let people know what they're getting into... these cases aren't cheap. If these two issues don't bother you then go for it, it's a convenient case that looks great and it did stay on the phone securely.

I guess my Torch will be naked for a little longer!
    03-11-11 04:16 PM
    I'm having the same problem with just the case. The tabs holding it on to the screen have all broke off and the metallic part around the screen is scratched up really bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 05:07 PM
    Seeing as how I work in injection molding, I might be able to shed a little light on those lines you circled in scratch pic 4.
    Those lines come from the metal insert in the mold that makes those tabs. They are one block of metal that fits into the larger block of metal within the cavity of the mold. Looks like they made those tabs as interchangeable inserts. Whenever there are two seperate surfaces that meet inside the mold, you have the chance of plastic filling in those cracks. This is called flash.
    I'd say it's definitely a matter of flash causing your scratches and QC definitely should have picked this up during a routine in-process inspection.
    Apparently the company molding these parts doesn't have an adequate preventative maintenance program in place, which also would have caught this issue before it became a production problem.
    Send the mold my way, we'll make them flash free

03-11-11 09:24 PM
    If they're going to skimp on QC, at least Seidio could have put a warning that I'd have to sand down the inside of my case to avoid damaging my phone. If I was buying a cheap ebay knockoff I'd expect this... but from Seidio?

I recommend you contact them to give them pointers on how to improve their injection molding process It's too late to save my phone but you could save others.
    03-12-11 08:27 AM
    Hehe...your best bet to take that flash off is (believe it or not) is a standard Exacto blade.
    That's what we use in the industry for things like that

03-14-11 12:44 PM
    I have had none of the problems you indicate with my Seidio Surface Combo. Rather than impugne the company, why not contact them and let them know of the issue you are having. They may have a solution that fixes all the problems...like replacing your bezel and giving you a new case that doesn't scratch.
    03-14-11 05:16 PM
    I have had none of the problems you indicate with my Seidio Surface Combo. Rather than impugne the company, why not contact them and let them know of the issue you are having. They may have a solution that fixes all the problems...like replacing your bezel and giving you a new case that doesn't scratch.
    I'm glad you haven't noticed any problems with yours, and I hope most are like yours instead of mine. Unfortunately, Seidio has decided not to respond to my attempts to contact them, twice. I purchased through the Crackberry store, so I can only assume they only support customers purchasing directly through them? I can only guess because they haven't bothered to respond to me.

Luckily the Crackberry store allows hassle-free returns, however I am out the $11 shipping cost back to them. Thanks Seidio
    03-14-11 09:19 PM
    I have a cheap-o Amazon.com case that cost me less than $3 shipped, and it works great.
    03-15-11 12:19 AM
    I've had some super-bad experiences with Seidio too. I've decided not to buy from them any more. Period.
    03-15-11 03:08 AM
    Seidio makes great cases and extended batteries.

For my torch, I have used the seidio, otterbox, agf and a generic ebay case and none of them were very impressive. My torch is naked as I'm sitting here typing.
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 03-19-11 at 09:51 PM.
    03-15-11 03:31 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. The otterbox has been very disappointing to me as well.
    03-15-11 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. The otterbox has been very disappointing to me as well.
    Which is weird, at least for me... I've always been very impressed with otter box, but the point I was making was that the torch isn't a very case friendly blackberry Unfortunately

03-15-11 12:33 PM
    Which is weird, at least for me... I've always been very impressed with otter box, but the point I was making was that the torch isn't a very case friendly blackberry Unfortunately

I've also been very impressed with Otterbox on my other devices, but as you said the Torch isn't a very case friendly case but I'm currently using the Otterbox on my Torch since I like the added protection over the headset/charger jack.
    03-15-11 12:49 PM
    I will add my opinion that the Torch seems to be a difficult phone for a quality case. I had a CaseMate one that didn't work well, though their products seem well made.

I'm currently using the Incipio Feather case, which is a lot like the Seido Surface case. I'm loving it and am not having any issues.
    03-15-11 01:56 PM
    Just a quick note to say kudos to the Crackberry store team... I shipped my package back to them and they refunded my credit card back 2 days later. Awesome service
    03-19-11 06:02 PM
    you should try the AGF GRT case. i have one for my torch, probably the best case i have ever seen.....

03-20-11 05:38 PM
    I would definitely recommend the AGF, I love mine!

03-20-11 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD