I just "upgraded" from an 8800 to an 8320 (company's decision -- personally I was better off before) and I've noticed that RIM has changed the device behavior in the holster with regard to the keyboard.

On the 8800, whether the screen was locked or not, the keyboard was disabled when in the holster. On the 8320, it's not. So, if my keyboard is locked and the device is holstered, I've usually filled the password screen when I remove it from the holster, and the device displays an error message advising the field has reached its fill limit. If the device is not locked, I'm usually somewhere in the process of creating a new contact, calendar entry or making a phone call to someone. That's always fun.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how have you found a way to correct it?

I'm actually at the point that I'm going to stop using the holster shortly if I can't find a solution. What a nuisance!
    10-28-09 11:21 AM
    Hit the mute button on the top of your BB it will put it in standby mode so you can't mash down any buttons.
    10-28-09 01:01 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. While putting the device on standby prevents the accidental pressing of buttons, placing it into the holster takes it out of standby, so this doesn't solve the problem of accidental entries in the holster.
    10-28-09 02:03 PM
    have you tried putting it in standby when its in the holster?

actually go to your options> screen/keyboard> scroll down to left side convenience key and put it to: keyboard lock
    then save and all you will have to do is hit your left side convenience key and it will lock the keyboard.
    10-28-09 02:12 PM
    The problem is that the keyboard is still active while in the holster. So if the device is locked, while it can't randomly dial speed dial numbers or whatnot, it fills the password entry field until it gets an error. Similarly, if the power (end call) button is pressed while in the holster, it powers the device down.

Now that I think about it, the reason I didn't have this problem in-holster before was because a magnet in the holster forced the device into standby mode. I have an OEM holster that I purchased for my 8320, but I'm wondering if perhaps there's not a magnet in it -- such as would be the case if there's a manufacturing defect.

I can't think of anything else and I'm sure there would be more on the forums if this was common to the 8320. It's driving me crazy.
    10-28-09 02:40 PM
    It sounds like you're using the wrong holster. The phone should automatically go into stanby when holstered and stay in standy until you take it out.
    10-28-09 02:41 PM
    Yeah, that has to be the problem. When I drop the device into the holster, the display light comes on -- whereas it should be blocked from coming on by being in standby. I bought an OEM holster on eBay that was supposed to fit the 8320, but I have a feeling that it's a RIM holster for a generic device -- maybe there's a slight difference in where the magnet needs to be for this model. That sucks.
    10-28-09 02:46 PM
    you can buy holsters a best buy or even the little carts in the mall....test it out before you buy it. throw your bb in it and see if the light goes off...if it does then you should be golden.
    10-28-09 02:49 PM
    I bought my holster from Amazon for $6 and change. It is Blackberry brand.
    10-28-09 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD