is there kit to direct hard wire a charge to your 12v in a car?
    08-25-09 09:36 PM
    Visit your car stereo shop and ask for a cigarette extension. It basically is a female cig lighter that has a power and ground wire.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 09:38 PM
    yep, all you need is to tap a 12v (switched preferably) and ground somwhere and strip a charger and you will have it. I have done it with my nav unit in my truck
    08-25-09 09:40 PM
    so you dont need a converter of any kind, the 12v and stripped car charger and your good to go?

when i did my xm3 (xmradio) I had to have a transformer, bought one off of xmfan.com

i just dont want to blow up my phone, so strip the car charger, splice it to my 12v aux lighter wire and good to go! I can just splice it to the ground wire too right?
    Last edited by rj5570; 08-25-09 at 09:49 PM.
    08-25-09 09:42 PM
    I would get the cig attachment that way you keep the circuit board in the charger intact.

08-25-09 09:48 PM
    the charge will convert the voltage down to the required voltage just like normal
    08-25-09 09:48 PM
    Just don't cut the car charger.

08-25-09 09:50 PM
    ok I am confused, how do I take the car charger and splice it into my 12v line? makes no since lol
    08-25-09 09:53 PM
    Get a cig lighter extension from a car stereo shop. Or wrap a wire around the tip metal. That will go to a 12v switch. Then the outer clips will go to ground.

08-25-09 09:56 PM
    One thing if your not really confident you can do it I wouldn't or you run the risk of messing up your phone or car.

08-25-09 09:58 PM
    ok I am confused, how do I take the car charger and splice it into my 12v line? makes no since lol
    08-25-09 10:10 PM
    One thing if your not really confident you can do it I wouldn't or you run the risk of messing up your phone or car.

i see, that seems a bit messy, i was really hopping there was something like this.
    08-25-09 10:12 PM
    Just go to best buy. Talk to one of the car audio installers and ask for a cigarette lighter extension. that's the best way. If you wait til tomorrow I can take pics when I get to work of what I'm talking about.

08-25-09 10:44 PM
    go to the auto store and you can find a Cigarette Lighter Socket
    that has wires coming out of it.
    attach one of the wires into the fuse box(radio ) and the other wire should be a ground attach it to to something metal to the car.

Put socket under the dash and run your charger to it.

I am not an electrical person so do this at your own risk
    08-26-09 12:06 AM
    other alternate is to get one of these and hide it under your dash.

do a search on this
    3-Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter DC 12V +USB
    08-26-09 12:08 AM
    Not necisarrily the radio fuse. Some radio fuses are a constant. Try the wiper fuse or heated seat fuse.

08-26-09 12:08 AM
    ok, maybe you all dont understand what I am wanting to do, or maybe I dont understand you all.

if i buy a socket, hard wire it, and then plug a normal charger in it. the problem is that I will be still dealing with whatever length and type of cable I buy as a charger, it will be coiled or whatever.

i was really hoping there was a blackberry product to do this or a 3rd party vendor that has thought of this. I am surprised I am the first to think of this.
    08-26-09 08:41 AM
    well you can get as much wire as you want....this way you dont have to use a 12 V socket and you can put your storm in a holster anywhere in the car.
    08-26-09 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD