Blackberry Pen lets you hand-write notes, then wirelessly transmit them to your Blackberry.

I would never go out and buy this, and paying for an annual subcription on top of the already very high intial purchase price will surely burry any hope of commercial success. What do you think? Fly or dive?

Pen scanners aren't a new phenomenon: we’ve seen plenty of them on the market that allow for scanning a piece of paper with text, then uploading the digital data onto your computer (Robert Franner reviewed a neat model in the June 2007 issue of Marketnews). Today, a Digital Pen that’s specifically designed for the Blackberry smartphone, is coming to Canada.

Originally launched in the U.K. three years ago where it has been dubbed the “Miracle Pen”, this device will instantly transmit notes jotted down on a piece of special digital paper to your Blackberry with a quick tap on the Smart Tab, a wafer-thin plastic plate. The file appears just like a scan, which can then be sent via fax or e-mail. An e-mail recipient can view the contents on a PC in its original cursive script, or as a Microsoft Word document via script recognition technology. The pen can even pick up diagrams and sketches.

The Digital Pen ships with Anoto software to aid in accurate reproduction of the contents, as well as the required special books of lined paper, which include an overlay of invisible dots that help the device produce “up to 40 per cent more accurate handwritten character recognition compared to other digital pens.”

“With these and many more impressive features, Digital Pen for Blackberry appears certain to be a demand item for current or would-be Blackberry owners,” enthused Ancaster, ON-based Solutions into Motion (SIM), the Canadian distributor of the product.

The product was officially launched in North America at a RIM event in NYC last night that showcases new Blackberry applications.

"Of more than 700 applications developed for the Blackberry,” noted Vince Poloniato, President of SIM, “RIM selected only a handful. The Digital Pen made the cut based on the powerful new communications capability it gives Blackberry users. It's a personal assistant that can save hundreds of hours of time, for less than $500 per year all costs in. It's ink for your BlackBerry, and relief for tired fingers and thumbs."

The Digital Pen for Blackberry will be available for $439 with a limited-time $40 rebate. In the box is the pen, a 128-page digital notebook, replacement ink, docking station with computer hook-up, travel charger, and information on the SIM-based subscription that is required for use. The first year subscription will cost $101, after which it is available for as low as $130/year. Additional digital notebooks can be purchased through SIM.

For more information, visit Solutions Into Motion Limited.
    Last edited by Berryman; 11-08-07 at 06:10 AM.
    11-08-07 05:17 AM
    Once again, great post berryman, I was reading up on this earlier, while I personally have no use for it, it does seem as though it would be a valuable tool to some, bit pricey though, but then again, I have no idea as to how much this stuff would cost on an "average" basis.
    11-08-07 10:17 AM
    Cool, yes but too pricey for me.
    11-08-07 10:32 AM
    How strange...
    I think this was a great idea.
    But, it should've just been left at a 'great idea'.

Now, it's just rediculous.
    11-08-07 10:36 AM
    Maybe this would have been cool for me during school years for taking notes and such, but I think kids nowadays use laptops for note-taking anyway.
    11-09-07 05:46 AM
    I think i would rather have the key board instead.
    12-03-07 06:04 PM
    Many people do not like writing and prefer typing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-07 06:28 PM
    Yeah, I wouldn't like writing. 5 years BS Architecture, all uppercase? No way!

12-03-07 08:00 PM
    Hello all,

My name is Alex Simms, and I work for Solutions Into Motion, the company that brought the Digital Pen for BlackBerry to Canada.

I just have a few notes to clear up this thread.

The point that chinesecatt raises about all Capitols is incorrect. All notes can be written normally in either cursive script or printing. The only thing that needs to be capitols is a BlackBerry contact.

teranceh says "I think this was a great idea. But, it should've just been left at a 'great idea'."

We agree, and so far, so does the public, that is is a great idea, but the aforementioned public has been much better receiving it than teranceh. The Digital Pen for BlackBerry is really a must-see device.

Many businesses, school boards and law enforcement agencies are beginning to implement the Digital Pen for BlackBerry into their everyday operations.

The school boards also want to implement them into their classes for students. As PCgirl says, "Maybe this would have been cool for me during school years for taking notes and such, but I think kids nowadays use laptops for note-taking anyway." The school boards agree, and that is why they want their students using this pen. Hand writing, one of the most basic lessons of school, has gone by the wayside. This pen allows students to write ntoes, and THEN have them in Word documents and an online PDF version. If the students loses their notebook they still have their notes.

The law enforcement agencies are implementing the notebooks and our custom form service. These forms are printed like their existing tickets, and other forms. As soon as the ticket is filled out and sent, the paperwork has already been processed. There is no need for additional manual submission. With the notebooks, an officer is required to type up their notes of an event at the end of their shift. Using the Digital Pen for BlackBerry reduces the time spent on manual processing ten-fold.

We have been receiving requests for quotes on these forms from many businesses in industries including: HVAC, Cable Installations, Windows and Doors, Doctors, Hospitals, and Pharmaceuticals... to name a few.

We see a lot of people on blogs and forums saying this Pen never should have been manufactured and brought to market. Our own results, and feedback so far, says otherwise. The Digital Pen for BlackBerry is really a got-to-see-it-to-believe-it product, and when you do, tonnes of applications flood into your mind.
    12-04-07 11:48 AM
    Thanks for the reply and clarifications Alex. Whilst I wish you commercial success in Canada, I still believe the Anoto pen is a solution in search of a problem - a few sales maybe, but full commercial success, mmm - I think you will need to find another product to retire on

If you are living in the UK, the Swedish designed Anoto pen is available through PaperIQ at 189.95 https://shop.paperiq.com/

Here are a few European firms who have purchased the Anoto pen solution:
    Anoto - ALL CASES
    12-04-07 04:58 PM
    The point that chinesecatt raises about all Capitols is incorrect. All notes can be written normally in either cursive script or printing. The only thing that needs to be capitols is a BlackBerry contact.
    Oh I think your misunderstood me alex. What I was trying to say, when I write, I write in all capital letters (uppercase). So if I had to write notes or scribble something to note on my BB, I'd rather use a keyboard than really "scribble" because of my penmanship.
    12-04-07 07:25 PM
    until products like this are under 100 dollars, US, there will never be a large mainstream market for these devices...
    12-22-07 10:32 AM
    I am hoping someone can help me correct a problem I am having using an Anoto digital pen to send a file to the Blackberry via Bluetooth.
    I always receive an error (described below). Here's what I am doing:

1. BB and Digital Pen are paired.

2. I record some digital pen strokes.

3. On the BB - I goto Media, full menu - Explore and navigate to a directory I created called "pen" (full path on the BB is Device Memory/home/user/pen/)

4. I select "Receive Using Bluetooth" -- BB says "File Transfer - waiting for connection..."

5. I use the pen to click on a box to send the digital file to the BB

6. The BB says "Connected..0%" for a fraction of a second, and the "Transfer Failed"

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Is is even possible to send digital files (other than media files like pics, mp3s, etc.) from a Bluetooth device to the BB?

I am using a Curve 8310. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help! - Rich
    04-30-08 04:42 PM
    Looks like a great product, even if it is a bit to pricey for the average person. Sounds like your market is not really the home user, but companies.

Personally, I think the pen is a bit to thick for my tastes. I generally have a hard time writing with thick pens. Other than that, I think it is awesome.

Patrick
    04-30-08 09:42 PM
    Have the same problem with Anoto digital pen. Did someone solve this ?
    05-07-09 02:44 PM
    Seems like a really great idea, except for the high cost of both the pen and subscription. When will companies learn that we dont want annual subscriber costs? A one time fee seems sufficient in this case.
    05-07-09 03:55 PM
    I wonder how this pen is working out? Seems like the main customer, despite the large price tag, is government run (IE: don't care about wasting money). I would like a tool like this because I'm still more efficient writing/drawing by hand in the IT meetings I go to every day - hard to type pictures too. But the price is just way too high for what it provides.

Annual subscription fees ... expensive paper ... too many little dependencies. The iPad doesn't have note taking like this either, just a dumb virtual keyboard. Seems odd to me.
    04-12-10 12:07 AM
    i would rather have the key board.
    04-12-10 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD