I have just received the desktop charger - so that I can just drop the phone into it while working. It is very smart, and the phone turns into a clock!

However, the main reason for getting it, was becuase I didn't want to keep "plugging and unplugging" the USB cable all the time.

QUESTION:
    When the phone is in the cradle, it charges without any issue. However, the option to activate the Mass Storage, and ability to sync while in the desktop holder doesn't work.

Also, the BB Desktop Manager cannot find the phone.

How can I sync via the desktop charger? Or is it purley designed for charging the phone and nothing else?
    02-28-09 03:33 AM
    The cradle does not have any capability to sync, only to charge.
    02-28-09 03:41 AM
    Aye, charging only I am afraid......
    02-28-09 04:01 AM
    That is a pain!

My old Nokia did everything from the cradle.

I also think shopblackberry's ad is a tad misleading.....
    BlackBerry Accessories UK Store - Product Detail

Although I suppose if you read it carefully, it doesn't actually say you can sync from the cradle..... hmmm.... they should have left out the word "sync" from the advert!! I bet I'm not the only person who didn't read it properly!!
    02-28-09 04:25 AM
    Well, the advert doesn't make any claims that the product will actually sync your BB for you - but the implication is there. This one can probably be filed under the same heading as all those fantastic "unlimited" data tariffs and home broadband deals you can get.....
    02-28-09 05:36 AM
    Other blackberrys didn't have cradles at all so its better than nothing. The pins on the side are equivalent to 2 contacts. Usb data need the other contacts as well which simply are not present on the sides of the bold or others that have the cradle option. They would have had to put a full usb connector on the bottom of the unit to connect to the doc for cradle synching to work. Does your doc tell you when the berry is charged? Mine doesn't. I'm wondering if the one I got off ebay has a defect or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 08:57 AM
    Yup, everyone is correct. The charging cradle is just that - a charging cradle. On the back of the phone you will see the two contact for charging. These are either side of the back release catch.

Why RIM did not equip the phone with an extra two contacts beside the existing one so as to enable syncing and other PC functions besides just charging is beyond me. They could have easily done that and fitted the cradle with a second USB connector so that you could have the wall charger permanently connected ans then made occasional use of the sync function or whatever you wish to do with connections is, quite frankly, beyond me.

RIM lags severely behind other manufacturers in a number of small but important user options like this.

It is a shame because the BlackBerry is a fine phone and outperforms other phones by a long way in most other areas.
    02-28-09 09:26 AM
    Well, the advert doesn't make any claims that the product will actually sync your BB for you - but the implication is there. This one can probably be filed under the same heading as all those fantastic "unlimited" data tariffs and home broadband deals you can get.....

Next time I will promise them "unlimited payment" for an accessory - but include a "fair payment policy" of 1p!!!

Everyone is right, it doesn't say it will sync, but as you say the implication is there. Naughty RIM, go to the naughty step!

My Nokia synced and it was Sooooo useful.
    03-01-09 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD