It's pretty scary to imagine such a massive bulky case on such a sleek looking phone, but I'm curious to see if they'd ever come out with one. I honestly doubt it, but it's a possibility even if it is rather small. I very rarely drop a Blackberry, but after dropping my Torch and seeing those cracks in the screen I'm terribly paranoid for my replacement. I don't mind the bulk of the Torch Commuter case, but that front part was absolutely useless and bulk is better than a broken Blackberry any day.

What do you all think? Any ideas on how something like this would be feasible? The ideas running through my head about it are so bad that I don't think I'd rather risk a broken screen again... That says a lot for me.
    09-18-10 03:45 AM
    the commutor case a.k.a the otterbox? if not try that...
    09-18-10 02:44 PM
    I had the otter commuter on my 9700 and it was rock solid, still going while it's on my gf's phone.

Bought the otter commuter for my 9800 the day I bought the phone. From day one I noticed the design was not as good. After two weeks, the two small tabs that click onto the slider part of the phone have cracked and consequently, the front part of the case no longer stays in place. Not what I was expecting from my favorite case maker.
    09-18-10 03:00 PM
    I had the otter commuter on my 9700 and it was rock solid, still going while it's on my gf's phone.

Bought the otter commuter for my 9800 the day I bought the phone. From day one I noticed the design was not as good. After two weeks, the two small tabs that click onto the slider part of the phone have cracked and consequently, the front part of the case no longer stays in place. Not what I was expecting from my favorite case maker.
    Sadly, I'm not very shocked to hear this. I guess I'm just lucky this never happened to me. Even if those tabs on your case didn't crack it still wouldn't have held up in a fall. I really think they rushed the commuter case.

Having a glass screen makes the Torch fragile. Being a slider really doesn't help the durability cause during a drop and sadly, it doesn't help make it easier to design a case either.

Otterbox could make a case like the AGF GRT that had its own sliding mechanism. That'd let them make a much more substantial case that can really protect from a hard drop. It's not realistic, but its an idea.
    09-19-10 05:05 AM
    Otterbox could make a case like the AGF GRT that had its own sliding mechanism. That'd let them make a much more substantial case that can really protect from a hard drop. It's not realistic, but its an idea.
    yea i have the AGF GRT case on my torch and i love it...my only issue with it is the charging port but its almost a non-issue. and i love the design..havent dropped it yet but seems like it would hold up.
    09-19-10 02:21 PM
    I really like the sliding of the agf case but I decided to go with the otterbox because of the liner covered the mini-usb port and the ear piece port... Maybe I will get bored with this case and try that one out for size.
    09-19-10 03:48 PM
    yea i have the AGF GRT case on my torch and i love it...my only issue with it is the charging port but its almost a non-issue. and i love the design..havent dropped it yet but seems like it would hold up.
    Love my AGF GRT too. The charging port issue is easily fixed by removing about 1/8 inch of the plastic on the charger.
    09-19-10 04:58 PM
    It's nice to hear that everyone has things they like about both the AGF and the Otterbox. I've also heard all the negative things people have had to say about both. It's nice to imagine a defender case that takes the best of both designs to offer superior impact protection. I can't think of any other designs that'll stay intact in a hard enough drop. The closer to a one piece design they get the better the protection will be or at least I'd like to think that.

I really hope they come up with something better than the commuter case.
    09-19-10 06:00 PM
    I have the AGF case but am bringing it back. These cases are just too large in my opinion. nothing wrong with them and I know they'll hold up on a drop but I'm not all that careless and they really detract from the design... and I don't think a Defender case will come for the Torch aha.
    09-19-10 06:33 PM
    I have the AGF case but am bringing it back. These cases are just too large in my opinion. nothing wrong with them and I know they'll hold up on a drop but I'm not all that careless and they really detract from the design... and I don't think a Defender case will come for the Torch aha.
    I'm not terribly careless either, but I find that its easier for me to grip and use the phone with the cases on them. If I use a case it might as well be protective too. It's optimistic to expect one, but I think there's still a market for people wanting large cases that actually protect your phone.

My last Blackberry was a Bold 9000 and the size of that was perfect for me. The Torch comes across as being just a little bit smaller and the bulk of the Otterbox case is perfect to compensate for the difference. People are always wanting lighter smaller phones, but I honestly love it when a phone feels substantial in my hands.
    09-19-10 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD