Was talking in another thread about the various skins and screen protectors out there. I mentioned I'd be receiving a Decal Girl skin soon and would post my opinion after I installed it.

Back story: I had a Casemate Barely There case on the phone and think it's a nice case. Thin for a case and perfectly protected my Torch during the two drops I've already had.

What I realized, though, is I don't like cases. No matter how "thin", my phone feels too bulky with them. So, for the first time, I'm trying a skin.

I ordered from Decal Girl for the body (they don't have screen protectors yet for Torch) and a screen protector from Stealth Guard.

See the pics. I like the skin. Here's the pros/cons:

1. Install took an hour. Much of this was putting on then pulling the Stealth Guard off due to thickness and general non-fit/dislike of feel. Now I have the Decal Girl skin only, no screen protection. Fine with me.

2. Only the front and back are protected. No side pieces or covers for slider's bezel. I wish it provided full body protection, but it does cover the main body, which should do the job for me.

3. The skin was easy to install. Good fit, no need to wet it, and easy to remove for adjustment. What few bubbles I got, were easy to push out. The skin is vinyl with a clear coat. Very obvious removing it will leave no residual and will be easy.

4. The big con: The proximity sensor isn't working. Clearly, the skin messes it up. I'm going to confirm where the sensor is (near the notification led?) and poke a small hole there. We'll see if that fixes it. I need that to work. Don't want to waste my money by having to remove this skin. But, need my screen to shut off during calls.

5. It does look very cool with the matching wallpaper. Pics don't do that justice.

I ordered the matte finish. Decal Girl skins are normally glossy, but I wanted the matte look. $2 extra for that. Total cost was $16.99.

Hope that helps someone.
    09-18-10 12:01 AM
    Looks cool, I just need my Torch fully protected. So I can sell it for max price when I buy the Torch 2 :P. Also I HATE phones with dents or scratches on it. I couldn't bare my Torch with either . Case would be sufficient if it covered the sides or bottom Bezel.
    09-18-10 12:12 AM
    Thanks for the review! Nice... You got the one I was looking at getting!
    09-18-10 02:34 AM
    I'm a huge fan of Digital Blasphemy, so I had to get one of his. I may pick up one of his others.
    09-18-10 11:42 PM
    I'm glad you like it!
    09-19-10 12:01 AM
    Quick update: I contacted Decal Girl about the lack of a proximity sensor cutout on my skin. They told me there should have been one and are sending me a new skin for free that is properly cut. I wasn't expecting that (I'd gone ahead and cut my own hole). Will let you know when I get it. They've made me happy with their fast response and immediate offer to send me a new skin.
    09-20-10 05:44 PM
    Looks nice. I do not like how it sits around the screen though. Seems uneven.
    09-20-10 06:16 PM
    That may be the picture quality. It sits perfectly, in that it covers everything right to the where the pixels are. The purpose of these skins is to line up with the matching wallpaper that displays. This means they cover right to the edge of the usable screen. If you use a screen protector, you have to put it on before putting the skin on, as there's overlap. Definitely a either like it or not kind of look.
    09-20-10 06:25 PM
    That may be the picture quality. It sits perfectly, in that it covers everything right to the where the pixels are. The purpose of these skins is to line up with the matching wallpaper that displays. This means they cover right to the edge of the usable screen. If you use a screen protector, you have to put it on before putting the skin on, as there's overlap. Definitely a either like it or not kind of look.
    It must be the picture then because in the third picture, it looks like it isn't perfectly straight and goes onto the screen a little bit. It doesn't look straight edged. But you are saying it is perfect so it has to be the picture.
    09-20-10 06:35 PM
    Or, uh, my slight non-perfect application. I didn't see that until you pointed it out! It's not actually blocking anything on the screen, but, yeah, I put it on slightly crooked. Really glad I'm getting a new skin now. I'll be more careful this time!
    09-20-10 06:46 PM
    So what was the final outcome of this? Did Decalgirl send you a new skin? And did it have 2 cut outs on the front..one for the LED and one for the proximity sensor. I just got my skin 2 days ago and I had to modify it to work and it doesn't look so hot anymore. If they will send me a new one with the cut outs then I am all for it.
    Thanks!
    10-13-10 08:57 AM
    I did get my second skin from them. It also doesn't have the proximity sensor cutout, either. I think they didn't understand when I said that was missing (must have thought I meant the led cutout). I haven't put the new skin on or contacted them yet, but plan to. I'm going to tell them the skin is blocking the proximity sensor. Maybe they'll realize they need to re-design these with the extra cutout.

I'm going to make my own cutout on the new skin before putting it on the phone to see if it will look better than what I did with the first skin.
    10-15-10 01:41 PM
    I have purchased several skins from DecalGirl. Obviously. I like the skins very much.
    BUT - asside from there being no cutout for the proximity sensor there also are no cutouts for the call, menu, back, and end call buttons. Those buttons light up and it is so cool when you are talking on your berry in a darkened room - the screen goes dark and those 4 buttons glow softly.

I have skinned every one of the berry's I have owned but each time I had to get used to no lights on the control panel.

I wonder if Decalgirl can fix that?

Peace....
    01-25-11 06:10 PM
    Agree, I do find it a little disappointing that the skin covers the buttons (they're still marked, but don't light up).

My skin has worn down a bit, and while I have a free replacement from Decal Girl I could use, I'm going to try using a case again. Just ordered an Incipio Feather case. Will review it when it comes in.
    01-25-11 07:24 PM
    Hello everyone...I have recently bought blackberry torch and i am looking for skin on it.My friend has decal skin on his cellphone.Decal skin really provides cool look and everyone really appreciated it.
    02-17-11 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD