I have been considering purchasing the Storm charging pod because it looks pretty cool and turns my Storm into an alarm clock. What do you guys think? Deal or No Deal?
    01-08-09 01:02 PM
    It's great. I got 2 of them - one for work, one for home. Looks great and easy to slide the Storm in (unlike some similar pod/chargers)
    01-08-09 01:08 PM
    I love mine!
    01-08-09 01:11 PM
    I just found an after market version by Amzer that includes a spare battery charging compartment.
    01-08-09 01:15 PM
    love mine.
    01-08-09 01:16 PM
    It's great. Sometimes newegg.com has nice deals on them.
    01-08-09 01:19 PM
    I use mine every day (night), I park it in there at bedtime, it is connected to my PC, so it does it's sync, and away we go in the AM!
    I was leery at first, but now thinking of a second one...
    01-08-09 01:23 PM
    It's great. Sometimes newegg.com has nice deals on them.
    Good to know, thanks!
    01-08-09 01:26 PM
    Got one for Christmas. Just love it!!
    01-08-09 01:30 PM
    Is it possible to connect it as a "charging" dock only? I'd like to turn my PC off at night but still have my phone charge. Basically I'm just wondering if the charging dock allows for both power AND USB (sync only I guess) cables to be connected...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 01:32 PM
    I love them and have two. There is only one micro USB port so you cant have it plugged into both at the same time. I have one plugged into a wall that I charge at night and use the clock and the other to my computer and stay synched with outlook all day.
    01-08-09 01:40 PM
    Does the Storm have to be out of it's case? The case I use is the clear plastic shell that snaps together (top to bottom)?
    01-08-09 01:43 PM
    I'll play devils advocate since everyone above liked it.

Your phone is already an alarm clock (I've woken to mine sans pod for weeks). The pod is just a fancy place to sit it while it performs that function.

It only charges or transmits data when a power source or USB is plugged into it... exactly as your phone would do without the pod in the way. Once again pod acts as an aesthetic only.

Things with "illuminated" "accent lighting" are, in my own experience, generally unecessary widgets that primarily fill the clutter quota.

I bought a charging/sync stand for my nano for an outrageous (in retrospect) sum and all it really does is make the thing sit upright. This smells distinctly similar.

No deal.
    Last edited by Midnight Q; 01-08-09 at 01:50 PM.
    01-08-09 01:47 PM
    I will play devils advocate to the devil's advocate. I trashed my last blackberry because of the way the USB cable "hung" from the phone. I got up overnight and tripped over the cord and the cable port got bent when the phone went flying. With my last phone, at my desk, I would often touch my cable with my foot (USB port is in front bottom of my tower on the floor. Knock cable = phone moves. Risk bending port.

I like the pod because the usb connection is stable and the pod adds extra weight for everything to stay put. If I get out of bed for whatever reason or knock my phone from its place on my nightstand with my book or my glasses, the phone is much steadier and not as likely to end up on the floor and I wont have a repeat of what happened to me last time.

Oh and yes, the phone needs to be out of its case. I have a Seido Holster and Best Skins Ever Skin. I actually had to trim the skin on the sides because it made the fit just a wee bit too tight. I could get started on Best Skins Ever. They are awesome. No more bulky shell cases or silicon sleeves. I have them for my phone and all the iPods in the house.
    01-08-09 01:55 PM
    I have one and like it a lot I will get a second one for tethering my laptop because I can't stand my phone just sitting there beside the computer
    01-08-09 02:25 PM
    Love mine. Looks better and keeps it safe.
    01-08-09 02:28 PM
    Is it possible to connect it as a "charging" dock only? I'd like to turn my PC off at night but still have my phone charge. Basically I'm just wondering if the charging dock allows for both power AND USB (sync only I guess) cables to be connected...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You can plug in the micro USB wall charger or USB cable to the cradle. Both will charge the Storm. Your Storm will probably not charge via USB cable if your PC is turned off.

I have mine set up in my bedroom using the charger the Storm came with.
    01-08-09 03:11 PM
    I just found an after market version by Amzer that includes a spare battery charging compartment.
    Do you have this one? Does the Storm fit well? I really want to be able to charge spare batteries.

For the regular pod, will the Storm fit with the $10 silicone skin on? The one from the VZW Store.
    01-08-09 03:25 PM
    I love mine...get it!
    01-08-09 03:30 PM
    Deal!!!.. I have one and it make the phone into a great alarm clock! Best purchase!
    01-08-09 03:36 PM
    i got it, not thinking i'd actually use it, but now it is my daily alarm clock.
    01-08-09 03:38 PM
    I got mine as a Christmas present. The niceties have been covered already in this thread, so I will offer some personal negatives:

- I usually have my Storm docked while I'm working. Receiving calls can be a challenge, as you have to figure out how you are going to grip the phone to get it out of the dock and that can wreak havoc with the accelerometer. I don't like grabbing it so my thumb is clicking in the screen, so I grab it horizontally by the frame.

- the accelerometer doesn't affect the phone, so if you want to dial a call while it's in the dock then you have to do it sideways. If I know I'm going to have it in the dock for a while then I just hook up my bluetooth headset.

- when typing a message while it's docked I notice the bottom screen doesn't click as well as it does undocked. Could just be my Storm, but I notice it.

- when I pop it into the dock sometimes the screen goes all static and takes a second to refresh. I usually have it plugged into my pc so I can't say whether it happens while plugged into the wall.

Really these are just little nitpicks. I think it works fine for what it is.
    01-08-09 03:52 PM
    I'm using mine with Ghost Armor on the Storm and still fits fine in charging dock.BTW, several mentioned charging spare battery. Blackberry has one coming soon. ASY-18976-002
    01-08-09 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD