08-26-08 12:48 AM
52 123
tools
    I've been working on this idea for a while, I'd like to make custom Blackberry cases/pouches... Currently I only have a Curve so I'd have to stick to making them for Curves for the time being.

EDIT: I found a really cheap Pearl dummy phone on eBay, so i'll be making some for Pearls as well!
    EDIT #2: Also for the Bold!

I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in this sort of thing. I plan on making a few different types: "waterproof" ones (with a plastic lining to keep water out), ones with sleeper magnets, side pouches, etc. They'd be made on a request basis, custom to made to your specs.

Here are some pictures of what I made this afternoon. Unfortunately I made a calculation mistake and the Curve doesn't fit in it. This one has a button to fasten it, and a pocket for credit cards/cash/etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by sheena.lee; 08-24-08 at 07:22 PM.
    07-27-08 09:07 PM
    Wow, that is actually really cool! I totally dig that. I'd be willing to do some "beta" testing for ya if you're interested? I'll test out your products!!
    07-27-08 09:12 PM
    looks great, what kinda of customs can you do and what do you think that you will be charging for it.
    07-27-08 09:23 PM
    I would like to see what kind of side pouchs or what not you come up with. ++++++ im in for beta testing also....
    07-27-08 09:27 PM
    That looks really awesome! I have yet to get a case because I can't find one I like, If you branch to pearls I'd be interested.
    Last edited by ginya-san; 07-27-08 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Mispelled stuff :-P
    07-27-08 09:32 PM
    I think price would largely depend on what kind of case you want, and the material. Somewhere around the $10-$15 mark for a standard pouch... pattern on the outside, flat color lining, button fastener and inside pocket to carry things. Anything else, like waterproof lining and sleeper magnets would cost a bit more. Would that sound reasonable?

I have a friend who has a Pearl, and he comes over every Friday, so on Fridays I may have the opportunity (and generally the time) to make some for Pearls.

As for beta testing that'd be great too! I plan on making a few more prototypes soon, better than the one I have there because that one isn't even big enough to fit the phone (but it was a first attempt, with scrap material, so it's not a huge loss, just a learning experience!)
    07-27-08 09:47 PM
    Very nice idea!
    I have a "perfect" holster that I use, but something like that would be nice when I just want to carry it around 'loose' & toss it in a bag or pocket.
    My curve has a bunch of scratches on it due to not always keeping it holstered.
    _dave_
    07-27-08 09:50 PM
    Thats sweet! I'd totally buy one.
    07-27-08 09:52 PM
    Show the back side, does it have a belt loop or clip. You do very good work.
    07-27-08 10:08 PM
    Looks amazing I'd rock a pouch or one of your designs in a minute! Very interesting!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 10:13 PM
    those are pretty nice looking.
    07-27-08 10:48 PM
    Show the back side, does it have a belt loop or clip. You do very good work.
    No, it doesn't, but one could be fashioned somehow I'm sure. It would probably have to be a literal loop, like the loop on jeans. The pouch is made from material and not leather, so I'm not sure about the sturdiness of it when hanging off a belt. The idea was to create something inexpensive that would protect the phone if you wanted to toss it in a bag/purse/etc.
    07-27-08 11:04 PM
    I like my cases to have a sort of tight sturdy-ness to them, kind of like the oem sleeve has at first, but for somerthing water proof that covers the whole phone... Yummm

Or a pouch with a removable sleeper magnet. Or one that has a small hole in it to allow you to plug in head phones and drop it in your pocket to listen to music or any audio.

The posibilities of a custom case are endless, and could be tailored to an individual's needs. Ill keep an eye on your work

07-27-08 11:12 PM
    could you sew it with a canvas weight material with a soft liner?
    07-27-08 11:21 PM
    Hope This Helps>>>measure Twice, Cut Once.
    07-27-08 11:54 PM
    Wow, the idea for a cutout in the bottom corner for headphones/charger is great. With a nice piping around it, that would be awesome.

Also, if you need a "dummy" phone you can usually find them on ebay for around $10.

Here ya go...

Blackberry Pearl Dummy / Display Phone T-Mobile Blue - eBay (item 180269881291 end time Aug-01-08 15:03:37 PDT)
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-28-08 at 12:03 AM.
    07-28-08 12:00 AM
    This is such a great idea! I love my Curve but as a woman I tend to just stick it in my purse in a "phone pocket". I've got an OEM skin on it so it doesn't fit in many cases. It'd be great to have a case to protect it from scratches!
    07-28-08 12:29 AM
    I am looking for a case that fits nice in cell phone pocket of a pair of Dickies work pants and jeans. With a sleeper magnet.

07-28-08 12:32 AM
    Wow it looks great-I could definitely use one of those. I carry my BB in just the gel skin bc I don't really like the holsters or pouches that they have but it would be nice to somehow protect it for when I toss it into my bag. PM me I would be interested in getting one without a doubt

07-28-08 12:36 AM
    I am looking for a case that fits nice in cell phone pocket of a pair of Dickies work pants and jeans. With a sleeper magnet.

I am needin the same thing, but I have a sedeio case around mine, I would pay good money for a slip case with a sleeper magnet.

07-28-08 02:59 AM
    So cute and such a good idea...I mean so many people online make custom bags for say a camera and develop a following. I bet you could do that with this and make a few different designs and sell them

07-28-08 04:37 AM
    I would pay decent money to get something exactly or as close to what I have in mind. Plus I'd rather give my money to an individual as opposed to a corporation.

07-28-08 04:46 AM
    I love the idea! Especially since I have a Curve.
    07-28-08 06:53 AM
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm trying to come up with a few basic designs, as well as the options that can be added to make the case something that's really custom to what the customer needs.

So far, I've come up with the following, based on your comments:

Choice of:
    -> material/pattern- inner and outer layers (will depend on availability, pictures will be provided)
    -> waterproof layer
    -> fastener (button, tie, snap, velcro, etc)
    -> inside pocket (this will be included by default)
    -> belt loop (will only be available for more sturdy material such as canvas)
    -> earphone/charger hole
    -> sleeper magnet (removable or non-removable)
    -> direction you put the phone in (top or side)

If there's something else you'd like to see, let me know!

This week, I may create 2-3 samples to give out and have tested. PM me if you're interested. I don't want to have anyone pay for a substandard product.

There's a good chance I'll also be buying a Pearl dummy phone if the idea catches on!
    07-28-08 10:13 AM
    You've come up with some excellent ideas! These sound great... and fully customizeable!
    07-28-08 08:18 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD