Well everybody, I have had my Otterbox for about two months now and I still love it. My only major annoyance was the lack of a charging cradle or holder for my night stand. Today, as I had to repair a sprinkler line with PVC, I had an idea. Why not use a large "tee" to make a cradle.

The only required materials are the "tee" (1 1/2" and $1.37 at Home Depot in northern CA) and paint which can be optional.

The tools that I used were a common hand saw and a file.

Three very simple steps to make this cradle.

Step one: Cut the top off. I measured the angle from the table and it is about 12-15 degrees, but can be customized to anyone's preference. This cut should be done first or the side cuts will be harder.

Step Two: Cut the side out for cable access.

Step Three: Use file to clean up and de-burr the edges.

Optional: Spray paint with a custom color.

The following pictures are of the multiple steps and finished product sprayed with gray primer and both my wife's and my storms.
    Last edited by jessekosten; 06-17-09 at 05:50 PM.
    06-17-09 12:34 AM
    I had a cusotmer request one of those Otterboxes today. How well do they work?
    06-17-09 12:40 AM
    I have enjoyed my Otterbox. It is a large case and only works well on the belt case. If you put it into your pocket the out layer grabs fabric and can be hard to remove quickly from a pocket. I will strongly recommend using the program Quickpull which can be found in the Appworld. The sound is quieter than normal but my last phone was a Boulder by Casio. I miss the water proof factor.
    06-17-09 12:49 AM
    hey nice job man. i have an ob case too, but i find myself using it only for when i coach lacrosse...

one suggestion would be use some type of lining on this cradle so the storm fits more snug. or so u dont have to worry about scratches if u take ur phone of the cradle too fast(ur hands also, not just the ob)
    but ya once again great job
    06-17-09 12:59 AM
    Thanks for the advice. It is defiantly in stage one of its development, so maybe I could add felt or something similar to the inside. I also want to glue it to a larger base, but for less than two dollars it is still very functional.
    06-17-09 01:13 AM
    Thats what I am trying to find is a case that goes into the pocket nicely...nothing that grabs fabric...but cool invention on the battery charging stand
    06-17-09 08:07 AM
    Looks good. Also looks like it might be time to dust.
    06-17-09 08:09 AM
    Looks good. Also looks like it might be time to dust.
    Yes the night stand on my wifes side on the bed does need to be cleaned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD