Hi, this may be a really stupid question but my neice has this curve 8330. Shes only had it about 4 months and now her charge port is completely broken. She has insurance but doesnt wanna spend 90 bucks for the deductible for what seems to me should be covered by the products 1 year warranty, but thats another topic. I think the insurance is crap and I have never bought it personally.

Anyway, I suggested she may be able to get a cradle and charge it that way but was curious if this seems feasible before I go and suggest she order a cradle and it having possibly no chance of working.

She can get that for prob 20 bucks instead of the 90 for repair.

Thanks a bunch everyone, this site is an incredible source of knowledge.
    10-11-09 05:55 PM
    It will charge fine with the cradle. I had to get one for my son when the port broke on his.
    10-11-09 05:58 PM
    yes you can charge it from cradle just no more backups and such until you fix it
    10-11-09 05:59 PM
    Right, that makes sense!! Excellent! I'll ask her but I don't think shes ever backed anything up on it anyway. I think its basically a cool texting phone to her. I dunno if her 8330 has bluetooth but if so she could prob transfer her contacts out somehow as a backup. right?

I mean, even if she took it for repair, can alltel recover her contacts? cause I'd guess they are just gonna replace the phone with a refurbished one anyway?
    10-11-09 06:03 PM
    She has insurance but doesnt wanna spend 90 bucks for the deductible for what seems to me should be covered by the products 1 year warranty, but thats another topic.
    Did she take it into the store? When mine broke they replaced it with no questions asked and I don't have insurance.
    10-11-09 06:07 PM
    Yes, she went to the store and they told her that they considered it damage and had to be filed under the insurance policy. I dunno if there is any way to go around alltel and go directly to RIM and see if they will warrant it or not.

Also, does anyone know if this phone has bluetooth and if she can send her contacts out through that as a means of backup?
    10-11-09 06:10 PM
    You may be able to find a local shop that repairs blackberry's. The USB port is available, and can be soldered on by a qualified person.

If her PC has bluetooth, she can sync her BB via BT.

The charging dock should work just as you expect it to. You can get it really cheap on Amazon, and I believe Newegg is still doing free shipping on it. If you spend $10, you're spending more than you need to.
    10-11-09 06:11 PM
    Thanks guys. I found one on ebay that looks nice for 9 bucks shipped.
    10-11-09 06:39 PM
    I just got 2 charging docks from Amazon. Shipped for $13. Don't let yourself get suckered into paying more than $10.
    10-11-09 07:02 PM
    I just got 2 charging docks from Amazon. Shipped for $13. Don't let yourself get suckered into paying more than $10.
    Newegg has them for $6.99 shipped
    10-11-09 07:03 PM
    Hmmm the ones I've seen on Amazon for those prices were just cradles and still required a USB cable to charge. The ones I saw didn't have cradle contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 07:51 PM
    Hmmm the ones I've seen on Amazon for those prices were just cradles and still required a USB cable to charge. The ones I saw didn't have cradle contacts.

The ones I bought on Amazon require the USB cable to be plugged into the dock. Is that possibly what you mean?
    (Yes, the USB cable wasn't supplied with the dock, but I got one with my phone anyway).
    10-11-09 08:34 PM
    That should still be covered under the 1 year RIM warranty that's weird they wouldn't just let them handle it. My trackball went after 7 months, and RIM replaced it no problem.
    10-11-09 08:45 PM
    The ones I bought on Amazon require the USB cable to be plugged into the dock. Is that possibly what you mean?
    (Yes, the USB cable wasn't supplied with the dock, but I got one with my phone anyway).
    The ones I looked at had pix of the BlackBerry in the charger with the USB plugged into the BlackBerry. In looking again, sure enough, the first one I looked at has a USB cable plugged into the pod. Don't know how I missed those models! Thanks.

10-12-09 09:43 AM
    docks are ceap and work great.The usb connection (i believe) is not covweed under any warrentty. It is common on a lot of cel phones. repairing the port is going to cost you about the same as the deductable on your insurance.

You will lose the ability to upgrade your os without a usb charging port.
    10-12-09 10:22 AM
    this is great! i came in here about to post a thread askin for help but i see that someone is going through what im going. my port broke this weekend and now my phones dead cuz it wont charge! grrr. so now i gotta go a few days without my blackberry...FML.

so ill purchase this from amazon cuz its only $5.88 but it has a shippin of 11 bucks! grr. how can i get it wit free shippin as you guys were talkin about? i looked into newegg and its not doin free shippin. i dont think at least.

plz advise ive had my phone since May 08 so i doubt Sprint store will do anythin about it hahah.
    10-12-09 11:44 AM
    this is great! i came in here about to post a thread askin for help but i see that someone is going through what im going.
    ... i looked into newegg and its not doin free shippin. i dont think at least.
    The USB ports are apparently a weak spot on the blackberry's, it's a common problem.

It looks as though Newegg brought their price back up to $9.99, and added s/h charges back onto it.
    10-12-09 12:25 PM
    The USB ports are apparently a weak spot on the blackberry's, it's a common problem.

It looks as though Newegg brought their price back up to $9.99, and added s/h charges back onto it.
    dang that sucks, i guess i'll have to buy the one from amazon. comes to 16 bucks total though and it'll ship in 2 or 3 business days and im goin outta town wednesday nite! FML!
    10-12-09 02:57 PM
    Hmm, I've been thinking about getting a charging cradle for my 8330, but I'm wondering if you can get one that works with the Seidio extended battery?

Anyone know?

10-12-09 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD