I am looking for a small, portable storm auto mount for my Storm that I will easily fit in my briefcase for use in rental cars. I would like to take advantage of the Garman navigations software on my Storm when I travel. The smaller and more compact the better, anyone have any suggestions?
    01-27-09 10:49 AM
    When it comes to car mounts, there is no such thing as small or compact. Product needs to be big and clunky...not cheap and flimsy.

What are you looking for? Air vent mount, cup holder mount, window suction mount?

There has been many threads on car mounts in this forum. There are even threads in the first 3 pages of the forum. Another option is eBay. See what fits your need and price range. I use Bracketron air vent and cup holder.
    01-27-09 10:55 AM
    When it comes to car mounts, there is no such thing as small or compact. Product needs to be big and clunky...not cheap and flimsy.
    Not true. Just because nobody has made it yet does not mean it is not possible. ProClip is probably the closest so far, but I could do better. I'm probably going to make my own mount using a small piece of aluminum. If I could find a screen out type of clip holster, that would work just as well.
    I use Bracketron air vent and cup holder.
    I use the Bracketron suction cup mount and find it to be both big/clunky and cheap/flimsy.

Here's the ProClip:
    ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country
    Last edited by ylexot; 01-27-09 at 11:12 AM.
    01-27-09 11:03 AM
    I use one of those beanbag holders in my car. The one that you can use with a Garmin. Keeps it in place at least.
    01-27-09 11:28 AM
    Not true. Just because nobody has made it yet does not mean it is not possible. ProClip is probably the closest so far, but I could do better. I'm probably going to make my own mount using a small piece of aluminum. If I could find a screen out type of clip holster, that would work just as well.

I use the Bracketron suction cup mount and find it to be both big/clunky and cheap/flimsy.

Here's the ProClip:
    ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country
    I never said it wasnt possible. I was talking about now...what is available on the market.

Yes, ProClip is very very small compared to others. I think you failed to understand where the OP is using this but read below in the bold for where the OP is using it.
    I am looking for a small, portable storm auto mount for my Storm that I will easily fit in my briefcase for use in rental cars. I would like to take advantage of the Garman navigations software on my Storm when I travel. The smaller and more compact the better, anyone have any suggestions?
    Installing a ProClip is not convenient if they are using the car for a short period of time let alone its not their car.

Yes, you have the Travel Mount ( ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country ) but thats $29.99 for the mount only plus $35 for a tilt swivel ( ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country ) or the $25 holder you linked to.

$55-65 for a mount to be used on a rental car? I personally think ProClip is overpriced. Bracketron works great for me and was very very affordable. $8 shipped for air vent and $19 shipped for cup holder.
    01-27-09 11:37 AM
    I never said it wasnt possible. I was talking about now...what is available on the market.
    I took "Product needs to be big and clunky...not cheap and flimsy" to mean, not possible. Sorry if I took it the wrong way.
    I think you failed to understand where the OP is using this but read below in the bold for where the OP is using it.
    As a very frequent traveler, I know exactly what the OP's requirements are.

Installing a ProClip is not convenient if they are using the car for a short period of time let alone its not their car.

Yes, you have the Travel Mount ( ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country ) but thats $29.99 for the mount only plus $35 for a tilt swivel ( ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country ) or the $25 holder you linked to.
    So, you're saying that sticking the ProClip suction cup to the windshield is more difficult than sticking the Bracketron suction cup to the windshield...and then fiddling with the arms, etc to hold the Storm properly without having the arms pushing buttons? Ummm, yeah....

$55-65 for a mount to be used on a rental car? I personally think ProClip is overpriced. Bracketron works great for me and was very very affordable. $8 shipped for air vent and $19 shipped for cup holder.
    Apparently, you don't understand the needs of the frequent traveler. Small packing volume, low weight, and simplicity are things that people are willing to pay for. The Bracketron is none of these. ProCip is better, but they could do better. If I were a mount manufacturer, I bet you that I could make a mount that weighs only a few ounces, would be more stable than Bracketron, and could fold into a volume that is only 2x4x1.5" (maybe less). It wouldn't cost as much to manufacture as a Bracketron, but I'm sure it would sell for more...because the need is there.
    01-27-09 12:22 PM
    Thank you all for your help. I am aware of the various holders out there and currently use ProClip in my car. I was hoping for a holder designed with extreme portability, small size and low bulk. I agree with you ylexot the need is there someone just has to satisfy it. Thank you all again.
    01-27-09 01:33 PM
    So, you're saying that sticking the ProClip suction cup to the windshield is more difficult than sticking the Bracketron suction cup to the windshield...and then fiddling with the arms, etc to hold the Storm properly without having the arms pushing buttons? Ummm, yeah....
    I was referring to the ProClip in general as in having to remove the radio or a piece of dash in order to mount the clip or using a tool to lift the dash/vent to mount the ProClip.

If you read further and which you quoted, I mentioned the price. Me personally, that is a major make or break for me. Fiddling with the arms? All you have to do is press the button on the Bracketron about 3 times which is big enough to open up and than squeeze it to hold it in place. Doesnt take much effort or time.

Apparently, you don't understand the needs of the frequent traveler. Small packing volume, low weight, and simplicity are things that people are willing to pay for. The Bracketron is none of these. ProCip is better, but they could do better. If I were a mount manufacturer, I bet you that I could make a mount that weighs only a few ounces, would be more stable than Bracketron, and could fold into a volume that is only 2x4x1.5" (maybe less). It wouldn't cost as much to manufacture as a Bracketron, but I'm sure it would sell for more...because the need is there.
    The ProClip does seem smaller than the Bracketron. it would be smaller if they didnt have that big gap behind the device.

I also never said the need is not there. Like to put words in my mouth dont you? As stated, I'm talking about now...the present. if you can make one, than make one and sell it to the OP. But as of now, looking for something that is manufactured by a company that is small and compact is not available. All the items you see are big. ProClip isnt as big because its not adjustable.

Having a suction cup mount probably wouldnt fit in the briefcase anyways. It needs to be sturdy to hold the weight and bumps of the road. Using a suction cup from one of those styrofoam basketball hoops back in the days wouldnt even hold up. Majority of the stuff is universal. Product designed specifically for a device costs more.

If ProClip had its holder and used the cheap alternative air vent mount where it clips into it, that would be compact but that is not ProClips marketing/idea of a air vent mount. Or, if you have the time and tools, you can modify it.

We have different views because I'm the type that looks at the cost and at the same time, will it benefit me in the future when I swap phones or use it for a different device. I use my Bracketron cup holder for my Storm and iPod Touch but I also have the air vent mount that holds my concealed display from my Valentine 1 Radar Detector.
    01-27-09 01:57 PM
    It's funny that I started looking for hardware to use so that I could make my mount and ran across this:
    Universal Multi Angle Vehicle Mount w/ T-Mount & w/ Adjustable Swiveling Angle Joint from Industrial Strength for Vehicles - This is Only The Mount & Not A Complete Mounting System
    It's similar to what I am thinking of making, but I would want a suction cup and I could make it fold down smaller while retaining the strength.
    01-27-09 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD