09-02-08 01:51 PM
35 12
tools
    Hey guys, Im gonna be getting my housing painted by a forum member here and I have been looking on ebay at those crystal clear hard cases that range from about $4-$8 to protect the housing and custom paint. Does anyone have experience with these? How good is the fitment? Anyone know of a reputable buyer on ebay? Thank you for all your help!!
    08-30-08 10:15 AM
    I ordered one 4 days ago...let me tested it out and I will report back in a couple of days...
    08-30-08 11:01 AM
    Please do. I've been wondering the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-08 11:10 AM
    My experience with crystal hard cases in general hasn't been very good, because they seem to get scratched up really quickly and it starts to bug me. Then again, I'm not sure about a crystal case for the bb, although I think I remember a member's review in the crackberry shop saying the same thing.
    08-30-08 11:14 AM
    I have the seidio hybird case which is a clear top and the back is black rubberized. It was $29 but its worth it to protect my curve.
    08-30-08 11:35 AM
    I've tried the clear hard cases off eBay, bought two of them.

One had fit horribly, wouldn't close at the top at all. And the other fit so tight that I had to break it to get it off.

And the clear only looks clear for a very short time, then starts to get scuffed with just everyday use (and I baby my Curve!). I also didn't like the holster port on the back, it was slightly raised so when I set the BlackBerry down on a table, it would rock like a teeter-totter.

Poorly designed, not worth the $5 I spent on them. Wouldn't get another even if it was free.

08-30-08 11:44 AM
    I got a clear/white silicone case off ebay. its nice. I like my black one better

08-30-08 12:17 PM
    I tried the hard cases on my 8110 for a couple of months and hated. I broke two of them. My phone seem to be getting scratched anyways from the hard case. I finally took it off. Seems like a waste of money to me. Thats just my experience though.
    08-30-08 12:18 PM
    hmm...i dunno what to do now, I gotta find something that will protect the housing
    08-30-08 12:32 PM
    Whay not get the invisishield stuff?

08-30-08 01:07 PM
    Yeah, I dropped and broke my pearl a while back so Im being extra careful with my Curve. BSE and invisisheild protect against scratches whereas the clear hard case can protect from falls to a certain extent. They make the phone look bulkier and are a pain to get off, but I still have mine on. Ive decided to apply BSE under the case as well because Ive heard trapped dirt can cause scratches.
    08-30-08 01:36 PM
    Yeah, I dropped and broke my pearl a while back so Im being extra careful with my Curve. BSE and invisisheild protect against scratches whereas the clear hard case can protect from falls to a certain extent. They make the phone look bulkier and are a pain to get off, but I still have mine on. Ive decided to apply BSE under the case as well because Ive heard trapped dirt can cause scratches.
    I was thinking of doing that actually...doing the BSE and possibly a clear hard case but since everyone is not to thrilled with them I dont know if I should go for it. I know the case would protect from a fall and the BSE would protect it from scratches
    08-30-08 03:18 PM
    I purchased the Speck Clear Hardshell Case for $20 b/c thought it would be a good investment to protect my pimped out berry...the first time I tried it, it was a project trying to get it off the berry...I began to get frustrated and was tempted to brake it while trying not to damage my berry...eventually I got it off. Suppose I don't want to do a soft reset and need to do a battery pull...I'll have to fight with the case to get it off which is annoying so I don't think I will be using it for too long.

Yes, the clear case allows the beauty of your pimped out berry to show but its not worth the hassle and your berry getting scratched...so I wouldn't recommend the hard shell case
    08-30-08 04:07 PM
    I purchased a clear case from this seller eBay My World - everydaysource It fit the 8330 perfectly (until it was stolen). LED lined up and everything. I was so happy that my buddy ordered one also and I ordered one for my DS Lite.
    08-30-08 04:16 PM
    Hello all,

I am new the the BlackBerry world, but I have to say that I am loving it.

I am a home builder, and as a result my phones tend to take allot of abuse. Things like saw dust, wet conditions, paint over spray and so forth. I did a whole lot of research to find a good protective case and had no luck. A friend of mine turned me on tho the Otter box Defender case. Although not clear in color. it it very protective against the conditions of my work environment. I have had it for a few weeks now and love it. It really gives me full protection for my curve.
    08-30-08 04:24 PM
    I find those clear cases from ebay are hit and miss. I've gotten some good ones and some pretty crappy ones from there. I find typically the ones that look (where the cutouts are etc) likes ones from one of the "big names" like Seidio on Boxwave tend to work better (they're probably all from the same manufacturer anyway). I'll compare photos on the ebay seller's site to ones from above companies and if they look the same I'll buy it. Last one I bought looked just like the clear case from Boxwave but only cost $4.00 compared to $28, and the fit on it is excellent.

They do tend to scuff a bit after a while but it doesn't bug me since I know it's not the housing taking the beating. Only drawback is if your berry is a darker colour, any dust that gets between the phone and case shows.
    08-30-08 04:51 PM
    aright, I went to the link SK1 provided me and bought one for $4.95 with free shipping. I will try it out on my regular housing for a few days before I give it a go on my custom painted housing. Thank you guys for all the feedback. If it doesnt work out well, ohh well, I can afford to be out $5 lol
    08-30-08 05:12 PM
    I had the speck crystal clear case and I hated it. Plastic felt cheap and it got scratched easily. I just ordered the Seidio Hybrid Wedn. Night and just got it an hour ago. It is a bit pricey, but u get what u pay for. The fitting is perfect and the plastic around the keyboard doesn't feel like its in the way like the speck. Its probably just me, but the hybrid doesn't feel as bulky as the speck. Don't get me wrong, some ppl on here loves there speck. You can't go wrong with seidio.

08-30-08 05:15 PM
    I just ordered the Speck Products clear hard case and holster for $25 off their site after a friend highly recommended. I saw the post earlier from someone who wasn't happy with it. So I want to ask, is it really hard to get on and off, or just off? I am hoping I like it cause I was going to get the Seidio skin/holster combo but its twice the price of what I just ordered.

08-30-08 07:25 PM
    I purchased the Speck Clear Hardshell Case for $20 b/c thought it would be a good investment to protect my pimped out berry...the first time I tried it, it was a project trying to get it off the berry...I began to get frustrated and was tempted to brake it while trying not to damage my berry...eventually I got it off. Suppose I don't want to do a soft reset and need to do a battery pull...I'll have to fight with the case to get it off which is annoying so I don't think I will be using it for too long.

Yes, the clear case allows the beauty of your pimped out berry to show but its not worth the hassle and your berry getting scratched...so I wouldn't recommend the hard shell case
    I had the exact same experience that you did. it scratched up my paint, it was a fight to remove it (and I rarely won), it never fit altogether or was too tight, it took off some of the black at the top of bb, and you could never reset. The 3rd time, i won the fight with getting it off because I panicked thinking my BB would be lost and broken forever in that shield of ****. I only use bse and a silicone case.
    08-30-08 07:37 PM
    ^^^ wow I hope I don't regret this purchase then. Yikes.
    08-31-08 03:54 AM
    ^^^ wow I hope I don't regret this purchase then. Yikes.
    You probably will as the Speck clear case also scratched the screen on my 8330. It's simply not a universal case for the 83XX series as Speck claims. It's way too tight of a fit for the 8330. Search for my review with photos in the BB Accessories section.
    08-31-08 09:41 AM
    Thanks Hua, I'll check out your review when I get to a PC. If I don't like it I'll probably just try re-selling on ebay and then spring for the seidio combo.

08-31-08 09:54 PM
    Ok my experience withthese are not good.... fitment is grat but they just snap together front to back.... lord forbid u have to do a battery pull or anything like that cuz once you start to take it apart the case obviously weakens.... before you know it the case will not even snap correctly anymore, it becomes useless. I had bought one for my Tmobile Dash and then when I got my bb curve I got another one but this time I felt it was better to spend the extra dough for a case made by a co called Speck. It doesnt just snap the way it closes is a piece from the front part of the case curves under and closes on the back . It's a lil hard to explaining but I definitely feel it's well worth it. I haven't had any problems
    08-31-08 10:00 PM
    Ok I just saw your guys' reviews of the speck case and honetly I have never had that sort of experience. My advice to whoever purchases it is to play with it before putting it on your berry. Learn it before putting it on and struggling with it. When I take mine off I pull up on the very top piece where the top pieces connect and disconnect them from up there and then the rest is a piece of cake. when putting it on I do the bottom first and align the pieces in the back and go to the top and snap it closed there. Everyones experience is different so good luck but seriously out of all the other cases I have used the Speck one is the best. I can put it on the clip on my purse strap and not have to worry about the case falling apart and the only thing left on my purse strap in the back piece lol
    08-31-08 10:09 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD