Not sure if this is the right place for this or not...

I've noticed that if I charge my Pearl via USB, it "charges", but doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as when I charge it via wall charger.

Is this normal? Is this Pearl-related only?

Thoughts?
    09-18-09 09:49 AM
    Just a perception thing I think. The battery is charged regardless as the mechanism is exactly the same.
    09-18-09 09:53 AM
    It is tough to answer that question becasue of the variables involved.

The spec for the Pearl 8130 are:

Standby: 9 days or 216 hours
    Talk: 220 minutes or 3.7 hours

In order to determine how much of a charge your battery has taken, you need to have a consistant set of discharge conditions.

I dont think there is any difference, but I can't prove it either.
    09-18-09 09:55 AM
    it takes longer to charge via USB rather than wall charger but once charged to the same degree, the charge should last the same amount of time depending on use. power is power.
    09-18-09 09:56 AM
    I've noticed this too. My battery was almost dead and I left it plugged into my computer via USB overnight. The next morning I woke up and the phone was dead. It seems that charging through the USB is pointless. I have a tour btw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 10:31 AM
    I've noticed this too. My battery was almost dead and I left it plugged into my computer via USB overnight. The next morning I woke up and the phone was dead. It seems that charging through the USB is pointless. I have a tour btw.

The PC was on overnight, right? They tend not to charge if the power is turned off.
    09-18-09 10:37 AM
    Ive noticed this, and is the same with my in car charger. If my BB is dead or infact on but battery too low for radio use (how annoying is that BTW), USB/in car charger doesnt seem to be able to juice it. All you can do is get back into the mains and leave it for a few hours..... knowing this little bit of information has lead me to purchase a second charger to leave at the office for 'emergencies'.
    09-18-09 10:50 AM
    Do you have the RIM USB drivers installed on your pc?

USB ports put out 5 volts which will charge the BB just fine, but slowly.

You can also go in to device manager and set the properties for your USB root hubs to be exempt from the power saving modes of your machine.

Pete
    09-18-09 10:52 AM

I bet your computer went into sleep mode overnight.
    09-18-09 11:22 AM
    That's a good idea.....thanks!
    09-18-09 11:23 AM
    Wow, people actually use the power saving stuff? I never considered that.
    09-18-09 11:25 AM
    Wow, people actually use the power saving stuff? I never considered that.
    I can't stand it....full power all the way!
    Seriously, if my computer is left on...it's on for a reason.
    09-18-09 11:44 AM
    Do you have the RIM USB drivers installed on your pc?

USB ports put out 5 volts which will charge the BB just fine, but slowly.

You can also go in to device manager and set the properties for your USB root hubs to be exempt from the power saving modes of your machine.

Pete
    Its not the voltage that is the determining factor, I believe both will supply 5v. The difference is that USB can only output a maximum of 500ma, whereas wall chargers for these phones I believe are somewhere around 700-800ma. Both of which will most likely be done at 5V.
    09-18-09 11:56 AM
    When you connect to a PC USB the device will connect with the PC op system and is actually "working". I notice this when I connect my camera to PC. If I leave it connected as a disk drive it will drain the battery to zero. So it is best to power down your phone when charging overnight. Otherwise you are "charging" and "working" at the same time and it goes slowly.
    09-15-10 08:20 AM
    I'm going to bump this. My 9700 doesn't last as long when charged via USB compared to wall charger. At least this is what it feels like! It's not lasting a whole day with average usage. Theoretically this can't be true, but it just seems that way.
    09-26-10 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD