Looked on other charging threads and didn't see this one. I have a Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger and it doesn't seem to charge my Storm. It actually freezes up the Storm. Any suggestions?
    01-04-09 03:25 AM
    I'm having the same problem. I was able to charge it through usb with my kensington laptop charger that has a usb port built in. My cigarette lighter usb charger port freezes up my storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 04:38 AM
    I've experienced this as well and have seen several similar threads. I believe that this is some sort of strange behavior that stems from using a standard USB cable that has all wires (charge and sync). I suspect that the BB charger only has the power lines and not the (obviously unused) data lines. I'm thinking of trying out this cable from Seidio to see if it makes a difference:
    Seidioonline - Your Leading Manufacturer of Smartphone Accessories
    01-04-09 08:37 AM
    I believe that this is some sort of strange behavior that stems from using a standard USB cable that has all wires (charge and sync).
    Except you can charge from a standard USB cable that has all wires. You can use included microUSB cable to charge the Storm from your computer's USB port, and it has all four (well five for micro) lines.
    01-04-09 09:18 AM
    Except you can charge from a standard USB cable that has all wires. You can use included microUSB cable to charge the Storm from your computer's USB port, and it has all four (well five for micro) lines.
    Yes, it does charge from your computer, but it also connects (uses data) on your computer. The Storm could be looking for data and having issues because the computer that it thinks is there is not talking.
    01-04-09 10:38 AM
    Yes, it does charge from your computer, but it also connects (uses data) on your computer. The Storm could be looking for data and having issues because the computer that it thinks is there is not talking.
    Ah, that's a good point. I'll have to check what happens the next time I need to charge and have a powered hub (non-computer connected) handy.
    01-04-09 10:56 AM
    Looked on other charging threads and didn't see this one. I have a Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger and it doesn't seem to charge my Storm. It actually freezes up the Storm. Any suggestions?
    Yes, do not use this charger again. Always use the original BlackBerry wall charger. There are several threads on charging and the fastest way to charge your phone and the one that gives you the best barttery life is via the BlackBerry wall charger.

This charger was designed specifically for the job.

A USB port supplies +5 volts at 500mAmps and my 8900 wall charger say it delivers 700mAmps. Other BlackBerry chargers have only delivered 500mAmps.

Some USB ports charge just fine and others do not. RIM has papers on why this is and these are on the BlackBerry website.

Motorola chargers also seem to work well too.
    01-04-09 11:06 AM
    I use a standard(gold plated) 6' usb to the Storm docking station. Works great when using it over night. You will get a faster charge using the wall charger as mentioned.
    01-04-09 11:13 AM
    Yes, do not use this charger again. Always use the original BlackBerry wall charger. There are several threads on charging and the fastest way to charge your phone and the one that gives you the best barttery life is via the BlackBerry wall charger.

This charger was designed specifically for the job.

A USB port supplies +5 volts at 500mAmps and my 8900 wall charger say it delivers 700mAmps. Other BlackBerry chargers have only delivered 500mAmps.

Some USB ports charge just fine and others do not. RIM has papers on why this is and these are on the BlackBerry website.

Motorola chargers also seem to work well too.
    Ok, just finished searching on the Blackberry website and found nothing to explain the behavior. You're saying that 500mA will charge it, just not as fast...that's not the problem. The problem is that the Storm will freeze the touch screen when using these aftermarket chargers.
    01-04-09 04:52 PM
    BTW, this is the "charger" that I was trying to use:
    Naztech Technologies - Products

I only tried it plugged into the wall and got the touch screen issue. No problems charging otherwise...

Edit: Just checked it...output is only 400mA. Oh well. Would have been a great travel charge solution.
    Last edited by ylexot; 01-04-09 at 05:51 PM.
    01-04-09 05:11 PM
    I was traveling and forgot my Storm's charger but had a USB cable and my iPod wall charger handy and tried to use that but it wouldn't work. So I tried the USB cable hooked up to a laptop and the charge icon came on but it still wouldn't charge. I went in to a Verizon store and they sold me a charger which worked, but ended up making the touch screen freak out... it took a couple tries, but I had to pull the battery and then hold down the power button for five seconds before putting the battery back in (per the Verizon guy) and that seem to fix the issue...
    01-12-09 11:45 AM
    My original wall charger that came with the Storm does not work. I have since been using the included data cable, plugged into a charger box that originally came with my curve. Works fine.
    01-12-09 11:48 AM
    I believe ylexot is correct: the problem is the microUSB cable that came with the Storm. If you use this cable with your USB charger, it will not work properly.

I currently use a Tekkeon USB charger, which outputs 1000 mA:
    Tekkeon - myCharger USB Power Adapter, MP1600

This comes with a USB cable that properly works with the Storm (I've tried it, and it charges without problems). The only hitch is that you must use the Tekkeon cable (not the BB cable that came with your Storm), and you have to buy the microUSB adapter separately:

Micro USB for LG and Motorola Phones - Tekkeon, Inc.

Of note, if I use this same exact charger, but use the Storm's included BB microUSB cable, then I get the freezing-up problem described above by others.
    Last edited by Tarrant1701; 01-12-09 at 09:04 PM.
    01-12-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD