08-19-09 11:24 AM
28 12
tools
    Hey

I've had my BOLD & Charging Pod since March 09, I've always noticed that on both mine and my girlfriends bolds and pods when you seat them into the pod the charging indicator (Lightening bolt) doesn't appear unless you press a key on the bold.

To summerise I put the bold in the pod and press the back buttom on the bold then the charging indicator appears....

Anyone else find this or does it always show the charging indicator without having to press the back button etc?

Sorry to question something sooo boring but was just curious!

Cheers!
    08-18-09 09:48 AM
    You mean it shows the clock instead?
    08-18-09 09:50 AM
    If the clock appears, that means you placed the Bold in the charging pod correctly and it's now charging.
    08-18-09 10:00 AM
    No sorry I disabled the clock function when it's charging. I mean when I pop the BOLD in the pod I always check to see if the charging indicator is showing before I leave it. By charging indicator I mean the little lightening bold symbol over the battery icon.

The charge indicator doesn't appear unless I press a button on the bold! otherwise it sits in the pod and I don't know if it's charging properly or not!
    08-18-09 10:03 AM
    No sorry I disabled the clock function when it's charging. I mean when I pop the BOLD in the pod I always check to see if the charging indicator is showing before I leave it. By charging indicator I mean the little lightening bold symbol over the battery icon.

The charge indicator doesn't appear unless I press a button on the bold! otherwise it sits in the pod and I don't know if it's charging properly or not!
    That's not normal. If you have the Clock option When Charging set to Do Nothing, the lightning bolt indicator will appear in the charging indicator after you put the Bold in the charging pod. There is a slight delay of a second or so before it appears, but you shouldn't have to press a key for it to appear.
    08-18-09 10:10 AM
    Thanks Jas, didn't think it was but both myself and my girlfriend have bolds and charging pods and it's the same on hers also. I plug it in directly with the charge cable and the charge icon appears straight away but when I drop it in the dock no charge icon appears unless I press a key. Admittedly I've not left it long than 15secs as the back light goes out and I can't see the screen without pressing a key anyways!
    08-18-09 10:15 AM
    I can't think of why it would be different for you and your gf's Bolds than mine (and presumably others). The only difference I can think of would be the OS, although it seems unlikely this kind of thing would be OS dependent. What OS are you using?
    08-18-09 10:26 AM
    Are you using a third party theme? I'm with Jas, this is strange.
    08-18-09 10:30 AM
    Nope we're both on .282 and using the standard Precision Themes. The only difference that I can think of is that I've set them both to not display the clock in charging mode.

I've set it to do nothing.... can someone set their bold to do nothing when charging and see if it happens also?
    08-18-09 10:36 AM
    Extend your backlight timeout and see if it appears. Could be it takes more than the 15 secs.
    08-18-09 10:45 AM
    Yeah I did, I left it for a minute or so and nothing appeared!

It's weird! I've not got anything on there that's non-standard and my girlfriend definately doesn't!

Must be one of the settings I've selected for what happens when charging/in holster etc...
    08-18-09 10:57 AM
    Here's my clock options, can someone else with a pod set this on theirs too and see if it does the same?

Clock
    Clock Face: Digital
    When Charging: Do Nothing

Bedside Mode
    Disable LED: Yes
    Disable Radio: No
    Dim Screen: Yes
    08-18-09 11:02 AM
    I've set it to do nothing.... can someone set their bold to do nothing when charging and see if it happens also?
    I had done that, and as I said, the lightning bolt icon pops up within about a second.

If you don't push the button to activate the lightning bolt icon, does it still charge?
    08-18-09 11:06 AM
    Wow how weird, erm not sure if it even charges as cannot see anything happening and usually haven't got the time to test.
    08-18-09 11:32 AM
    Since the bolt shows up when u plug the charger directly to the Bold, I'm thinking that its not the OS or Theme. Is your Pod an OEM or 3rd party? I've seen several different pods.

I have the OEM and the bolt shows up withing seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 11:57 AM
    The indicator is immediate. My guess is as someone already suggested, it's your theme.

08-18-09 12:00 PM
    I have same theme, same setting as you. My charge indicator shows up instantly, if I seat it properly in the charging pod.
    This is very difficult, and very hit and miss. Maybe it never seats right, and when you press a button, you actually just move your bold enough to touch the contacts properly.
    You could try not pressing a key, let the screen dim. Then pull the bold out the pod. If the screen lights, then it was charging. If it doesn't, then it wasn't.

08-18-09 12:12 PM
    I'm assuming theyre both OEM pods, they have the blackberry logo on them and I bought them from theblackberrystore.co.uk surely even if it wasn't an original that cannot make a difference to how the indicator display can it? maybe...

It's not really an issue and I appreciate all the quick responses here guys! it was just a quirk that I thoughtt I'd question.

It's definately not the theme as it's a standard pre installed theme so you can't get more compatible than that and it's not my finger moving it as I tried that first off, I can seat it in and out a few times and the screen always lights up BUT the charge indicator doesn't appear unless I press the back button. I'm a bit OCD and can't go to bed unless I see the indicator for fear of waking up in the morning and it's not been charging etc.

The big key here is that this is the 3rd bold I've had not to mention my girlfriends so it's def not the bold itself, it's either the settings or the pods but I assumed there was only one blackberry charge pod...
    08-18-09 01:16 PM
    I have my Bold in the BB Charging Pod and there is not lightning bolt. Just the clock format that I have selected.
    08-18-09 02:44 PM
    jcp007 try pressing the back button whilst it's in there and tell me if the charging indicator appears? obviously make sure it's not fully charged when you press the button otherwise the indicator won't appear anyways!

Thanks pal!
    08-19-09 03:57 AM
    Ok I've sussed it out I think....

If I pop the BOLD into the pod and the keylock is on the charge indicator appears instantly! if the BOLD is unlocked(doesn't have keylock on) and I put it in the pod the charge indicator doesn't appear unless I press a key (back key etc.)
    08-19-09 08:37 AM
    Checked when I got home last night, and mine comes on instantly either with or without the clock coming up.
    08-19-09 08:59 AM
    Pressed Back Button. Lightning Bolt!!!
    08-19-09 08:59 AM
    bt224 when you put you BOLD in the pod is the keylock on or off? ...can you try both please?
    08-19-09 09:08 AM
    Please clear up a possible misunderstanding. I always thought that, when the Bold is in the Pod and the clock is showing, the device is being charged.
    08-19-09 10:28 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD