01-31-09 02:33 PM
82 123 ...
tools
    I just got my charging pod yesterday and I love the bedside mode while charging my Bold on the pod. It beats the old alarm clock I had on my nightstand. I like how it dims and doesn't light up the whole bedroom like my old alarm clock used to. And has just enough illumination to see what time it is for those times you wake up in the middle of night to see how many hours you have left before you have to get up for work. Man, I am loving my Bold more and more everyday. Thank you RIM
    11-15-08 10:33 PM
    I was thinking about getting the charging pod for my Bold. But I thought it wasn't worth it and just charge the regular way. What do you think? Btw, did you get the single chrome pod or the dock that can charge your phone AND an extra battery?
    11-15-08 10:50 PM
    i agree, i've got the single chrome charging pod and really like it. the only bad thing is that i'm going need to get a hard case for my phone at some point, and it wont fit on the charging pod anymore.
    11-15-08 10:54 PM
    I must +1 on the pod/bedside mode. It is probably my favorite ability of the Bold. My wife has a pod for her curve but has total bedside mode envy. Since I installed the InvisibleShield and no longer need a case, my setup seems just about perfect.

Michael
    11-15-08 11:11 PM
    OK, I'm getting my charging pod next week and I'm too lazy to dig through the manual. Can some kind soul give me the 25 words or less version of how to set up bedside mode on the Bold? TIA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 11:40 PM
    JaypO3,
    I got the single chrome charging pod, I like it because I can bring it anywhere I want especially when traveling. I also bought a spare one for the office.

Dynalmadman,
    I got the invisible skin shield as well for my screen, I also use the holster to that came with the phone, I found it sufficient for my use.

Catbarf,
    Setting up bedside mode is easy, you can go to the clock icon in applications and there will be options to either enter bedside mode when charging or not, you can also do it manually from there, you will see what I'm talking about when you get there, it's quite easy to figure out. I hope that helps a bit.
    11-15-08 11:58 PM
    I agree.....bedside mode is one of the best features of the BOLD I love it.
    11-16-08 12:01 AM
    I agree, the bedside mode is one of my favorite features...works perfectly with the charging pod.
    11-16-08 12:27 AM
    For $16 on ebay, the charging pod is one of the best accessories a Bold user can get. No more aiming and plugging, just place the Bold in the cradle, clock pops up and charging begins. The Bold does have a great alarm clock interface, well everything on the Bold is great...
    11-18-08 08:01 AM
    If only you could set more than one alarm...

And Smart Alarms Pro isn't compatible with the Bold yet...

Grr...
    11-18-08 08:12 AM
    2 quick questions:

1) How does the charging pod work? I don't see anywhere for it to charge on the bottom!

2) If I have the rubber skin from RIM will it still fit?

11-18-08 08:14 AM
    The gold connections on the bottom sides of the Bold connects with the pod to charge. Just lightly place the Bold on the cradle(no pushing down required like the iphone and its bottom connector), and it'll start charging with the clock popped up.

The rubber skin will not fit the cradle, you must take it off, or half way off for it to get into the cradle. Thank goodness I don't use a rubber much, too much of a hassle otherwise.
    11-18-08 08:30 AM
    I see. This may be a good investment for me...

11-18-08 08:33 AM
    I'm thinking the same thing.
    11-18-08 08:36 AM
    Mine just came in yesterday and I love it!
    11-18-08 08:49 AM
    Do you guys have the OEM or the 3rd party manufactured one? I want to buy the 3rd party one but I'm not sure if it's good and it does not ruin my battery. The one that I'm looking at is the charging pod with an additional external battery charger.

Do you think that the 3rd party battery charger will ruin the OEM battery life time?

How good is the 3rd party battery compare to the OEM?
    11-18-08 11:50 AM
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, I still dont understand how it charges. I dont see any gold connectors on the bottom of my bold...
    11-18-08 12:32 PM
    *newbie question*

What about the problem of overcharging and hurting battery life? Does the pod have an auto shutoff feature to prevent against that?
    11-18-08 12:39 PM
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, I still dont understand how it charges. I dont see any gold connectors on the bottom of my bold...
    Look on the lower edge of the sides. See the small silver ovals near the bottom? That's them.

Michael
    11-18-08 12:57 PM
    *newbie question*

What about the problem of overcharging and hurting battery life? Does the pod have an auto shutoff feature to prevent against that?
    I have not verified this, but many have said that the battery has a chip installed to stop the charging when full, so as not to overcharge.

Michael
    11-18-08 12:58 PM
    *newbie question*

Lithium Ion batteries can not be overcharged, nor do they have "charge memory" like older batteries that would shorten battery life. In other words, don't worry about it.
    11-18-08 02:01 PM
    That wouldn't be a function of the pod anyway, it would be a function of the charger. All the pod does is take the move the connections from the USB plug to two small prongs inside the pod itself. I'd be willing to bet that if you took one apart there's just a plug with a few wires coming off it and going to the prongs in the middle.

That said, I'm seriously debating getting one. I can't see 2 feet in front of me without my glasses or contacts so I have to pick the phone and bring it to my face in order to see the time. I'd have to take it out of the pod or actually lean over towards the corner of my desk to see it. But I do love the bedside mode. That's gotta be one of the best phone functions ever.
    11-18-08 02:09 PM
    so can someone explain the difference when bedside mode is on?
    11-18-08 02:25 PM
    so can someone explain the difference when bedside mode is on?
    Bedside mode gives you several options. You can disable the LED that flashes bright red whenever you get a message, you can have the screen dim and you can even have the radio turn off so that you don't get any calls.
    11-18-08 03:33 PM
    The pod itself comes with no power cords or cables, does the standard USB cable or power cable just plug into it?

Edit: Bloody heck! shipping is going to cost more than the dam pod!!!!
    Last edited by Neldylah; 11-18-08 at 04:16 PM.
    11-18-08 04:09 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD