Anyone notice that if you put the Tour in the holster it comes with the proper way ( Screen at the top so the magnet puts it into sleep mode) you can't charge it as the micro usb port is covered... The only way you can charge it while in the holster is to put it screen side at the bottom and then the magnet doesn't put it into sleep mode..

Unless I'm missing something this is some pretty poor design
    07-13-09 01:29 PM
    the case is a pos in my opinion, I plan to get a better one
    07-13-09 01:31 PM
    Well, the holster is meant to go on your belt. Who charges a phone while its still on your hip? I mean I understand what you're saying, pop the holster off and plug it in, but really, its just as simple to remove it from the holster to charge. I mean if you got an email or whatever while charging, you'd have to remove it anyways.
    07-13-09 01:33 PM
    Man, I have never seen such a bunch of whiners on these forum posts RE: this new device.

Can't charge while in it's holster?

Well, I am upset because I can't charge mine while SCUBA diving.

Makes just as much sense.

Unbelievable!
    07-13-09 01:42 PM
    I can't charge mine while it's in my pocket!!!! *shruggs* This phone sucks!
    07-13-09 01:43 PM
    Put it on the holster and the magnet will do his job as well. Anyways there is no need for this function while its charging...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 01:50 PM
    It's funny, I just went to charge mine in the holser and noticed this. I like to charge it in the holster in case it falls off the table/desk/whatever the holster will protect it. FYI, i have broken blackberry's by them simply falling off desks before without the case on.
    07-13-09 01:50 PM
    I can charge mine while its in my pocket i just have to stand next to the wall until its done.
    07-13-09 01:52 PM
    I've never charge my black while in the holster.. Can we make a things to look for list b4 purchasing the newest blackberry maybe this will get rid of all the complaining.. Good day!
    07-13-09 01:55 PM
    Man, I have never seen such a bunch of whiners on these forum posts RE: this new device.

Unbelievable!
    I asked if anyone else noticed this and was merely making an observation and sharing it with everyone else...

Take your flame and go sit in the corner please.
    07-13-09 02:38 PM
    I agree this holster design is poor. I just got a Tour (my last BB was a 7290 that was passed around as a pager years ago) and was shocked that I was expected to manually futz with profiles to put the device into a mode where only phone calls and level 1 messages will be audible (e.g. at night) rather than being able to schedule the profile changes. It was trivial to set independent on/off times for different message accounts on my Centro (& Treo before it.)

Since I don't use a holster (no pocket protectors either, thanks. My job is geeky enough without bulky badges of shame) and I sure as **** don't use audible ring or alert tones (PUT IT ON VIBRATE, @$%@ER! ONLY YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU'VE GOT A CALL OR MESSAGE, NOT ME!) I thought I'd be clever and set up a custom profile with silent volume for everything, and custom vibrate configs - all "out of holster" except phone and L1, then just keep the phone in the holster at night. (Bonus: it shuts the damn lights off; I outgrew nightlights when I was 5, OK?)

...but the phone can't be charged in the holster without taking a knife to the elastic. Great jorb, guys. Guess I'll be making a custom charging cradle with a sleep magnet in it for my bedroom.
    07-25-09 01:10 AM
    I prefer to charge mine in the holster too. I pull the holster off at night and just charge it there rather than pulling it out and having two pieces of clutter on my bureau.

I think there's enough of the elastic on the side to cut a small piece out and enable charging without impacting how it works. The case is a cheapie but freebie so I don't mind messing with it a bit.
    07-25-09 06:53 AM
    The holster it came with was free. Most smartphones don't come with anything but a pair of crappy earphones, a wall charger, a sync cable and a disk with software on it. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for it much, I purchased the horizontal side opening Blackberry OEM pouch because I find it offers easier access but free is free.
    07-25-09 06:59 AM

Unbelievable!
    I agree. I can't believe someone would even try to charge a phone while its in a holster! Holsters are not meant to have a phone being charged in. It amazes me what people cry over
    07-25-09 08:11 AM
    First off, why would you want to charge your phone while it's in a holster...just the logic of it is insane...even though this phone doesn't, but many devices heat up while getting charged...that's just common sense that you don't leave electronics in a tight space or wrapped it up in a blanket during conduction...actually, this phone does heat up a bit, but that's besides my direct point...have you ever tried plugging a laptop while it's in your laptop bag? Not a very good idea....

Secondly, what other phone comes with a freaking holster? When the holster first came out years ago, all you fools were amazed at how it puts the phone to sleep, and you all went out and bragged about that...if you don't like the holster it comes with, go buy another one like you would for another phone....

Thirdly, are we REALLY complaining about not being able to charge the phone through a holster? Shoot, I'm pissed that I can't charge the phone with the battery not in the phone....
    07-25-09 08:26 AM
    OK, got tired of the flaming of the OP. Yes the whiners on this phone are coming out in droves, but this point has some validity to it.

"Why would anyone want to charge their phone in the holster?"

Maybe because BB made this great feature that allows you to set the phone on vibrate only in the holster and I don't feel like being woken up with a spam e-mail at 2AM on a work night. But I do have certain numbers that override the vibe only and will ring in the holster. Remember some of us use a BB phone for actual business and a missed call means lost money.

Problems with the "solutions" offered so far:

Sleep Mode - sorry I have some numbers that need to be able to ring through 24/7.

Separate profile - Means I have to set up a whole new profile, plus I have to remember to change it at night and back in the morning.

Yes the holster is free, and yes I am looking for alternatives, but my curve worked this way for years so I was caught off guard as I was expecting an improved phone over the curve. Otherwise I love the new Tour, though I have some issues with the trackball they get better every day.
    07-25-09 09:56 AM
    The phone thinks its holstered even when it just lies on it, so triy this!

07-25-09 10:05 AM
    I agree this holster design is poor. I just got a Tour (my last BB was a 7290 that was passed around as a pager years ago) and was shocked that I was expected to manually futz with profiles to put the device into a mode where only phone calls and level 1 messages will be audible (e.g. at night) rather than being able to schedule the profile changes. It was trivial to set independent on/off times for different message accounts on my Centro (& Treo before it.)

Since I don't use a holster (no pocket protectors either, thanks. My job is geeky enough without bulky badges of shame) and I sure as **** don't use audible ring or alert tones (PUT IT ON VIBRATE, @$%@ER! ONLY YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU'VE GOT A CALL OR MESSAGE, NOT ME!) I thought I'd be clever and set up a custom profile with silent volume for everything, and custom vibrate configs - all "out of holster" except phone and L1, then just keep the phone in the holster at night. (Bonus: it shuts the damn lights off; I outgrew nightlights when I was 5, OK?)

...but the phone can't be charged in the holster without taking a knife to the elastic. Great jorb, guys. Guess I'll be making a custom charging cradle with a sleep magnet in it for my bedroom.
    I think you can set it up so it goes into whatever profile you want while charging.
    Go into your Clock application and go into Options and under "When Charging" choose "Enter Bedside Mode" then scroll down to "Bedside Mode" and pick your options and under "Sound Profile" pick a custom profile that you have tailored just for night time.

Hope this helps!
    07-25-09 10:35 AM
    I think you can set it up so it goes into whatever profile you want while charging.
    Go into your Clock application and go into Options and under "When Charging" choose "Enter Bedside Mode" then scroll down to "Bedside Mode" and pick your options and under "Sound Profile" pick a custom profile that you have tailored just for night time.

Hope this helps!
    This works if you ONLY charge your phone while sleeping, I can spend 5 hours a day on the phone so I have to charge it every chance I get, car/home/desk and at those times I need the phone to ring for everything.

I'm just trying to show those who state it is stupid to want to charge the phone in the holster that just because it has no purpose for you dosen't mean it has no purpose for anyone.

I do like the idea of using a magnet to create a "charging station" with a magnet for night, gonna swing by the hobby store and see what I can piece together.
    07-25-09 11:55 AM
    Just can repeat it: just put your device on the holster and it will work as if it was in the holster!

07-25-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD