Ok, I've picked up my new 8220 last night yea !!

I've been looking at some charging options and I do see cradles for this phone. How do the cradles work I can't seem to see a where on the phone the connections would be made. Do I have to take off the battery cover? I'd hate to buy one and have to return it (been there done that before).
    11-04-08 08:24 AM
    The two metal pieces below your battery cover is where it charges. You do not need to take off the battery cover in order to charge. It is a great thing to have. I have one for my 8320, and love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 08:40 AM
    The two metal pieces below your battery cover is where it charges. You do not need to take off the battery cover in order to charge. It is a great thing to have. I have one for my 8320, and love it!

Ahh I see, where the battery release button is. Cool I need to go order now. Thanks !!
    11-04-08 09:04 AM
    r they still on sale at t-mobile?
    11-04-08 09:08 AM
    I found some for $14. Just ordered one for me and my wifey.

hxxp://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=23922&refid=froogle&ut m_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=ASY14 396006&utm_campaign=froogle
    11-04-08 10:23 AM
    I am assuming if you buy some type of rubberized cover for your flip phone that you will need to remove it before it will fit in the cradle?
    11-10-08 11:47 AM
    I am assuming if you buy some type of rubberized cover for your flip phone that you will need to remove it before it will fit in the cradle?
    I guess it depends on the skin. I mean how thick. The cradle I got in the mail the other day seems like it would work with a cover provided it wasn't too thick.
    11-10-08 02:25 PM
    What's the advantage of charging via the cradle vs. other methods like connecting to your computer or the wall charger? I'm curious.
    Last edited by Starku; 11-16-08 at 12:55 AM.
    11-11-08 12:28 AM
    I prefer to use a charging crdle to charge my phone, rather than connecting and disconnecting the charger everytme to charge the phone. With charging dock, it is easy to slide the phone in and out to charge it. And it also stands nicely on my desk, whenever someone calls, I can see who is calling quickly.
    11-15-08 03:34 PM
    Ah, that explains it then. But cost wise, I think I'll hold off on that until I'm less poor. (College student syndrome. I call it "poorinaidus.")

Also, I'm not 100% sure how it works, and I like to know these types of things before I blindly buy anything.
    Last edited by Starku; 11-16-08 at 01:11 AM.
    11-16-08 12:56 AM
    What's the advantage of charging via the cradle vs. other methods like connecting to your computer or the wall charger?
    Like Papa said, it frees you from needing to plug and unplug the phone. I plan to own my Flip a long, long time. Given the Flip's short battery life (who here gets more than a couple days out of their battery?), that's a lot of plugging and unplugging and a lot of stress on the USB port. It's a b*tch when a connector starts to break off the circuit board.
    12-11-08 11:30 PM
    Also, I'm not 100% sure how it works, and I like to know these types of things before I blindly buy anything.
    It works by induction. My sonicare toothbrush works the same way, sits in the pod to charge. When I cracked open my old toothbrush, I found a wire coil in the bottom. Pod generates a magnetic field that induces electric current in the device.

12-12-08 01:08 PM
    So I just got the charging pod delivered yesterday ... it does not charge by induction, there are 2 contact points that touch the phone right where you release the battery cover.

I don't know how this pod works for other BB models but the design for the Flip is horrible IMHO. The phone sits down inside this cradle but there is nothing to hold it in place. It does not sit completely inside the cradle, rather it "teeter's" along the top of the cradle. The phone can rock left or right and lose contact with the charging contact points.

Maybe I received a preliminary model or something. It does use the micro USB charger connection and appears to be too small for anything other than the Pearl or the Flip. It almost seems like they took the same exact design from the Pearl cradle and swapped out the mini-USB for a micro-USB charging connection *shrug*.

I'm thinking about sending it back, I bought it through buydotcom for $13.29. It came with a little instruction paper that showed a picture of a flip but it just doesn't seem to fit like I think it should

Anyone else get this and experience the same?
    12-12-08 02:03 PM
    Induction. WTF was I thinking? That was the flu talking.
    Yeah I don't really like that the flip sits precariously in the pod. I have my pod at work, but I'll probably bring it home to my nightstand and park the phone in it every night.

12-14-08 02:03 PM
    I love the charging cradle. If you use "Bedside Mode" with it, its a pretty nice little clock. And it looks alot nicer on my night stand than just plugging the phone in and having it laying about...
    12-14-08 07:07 PM
    r they still on sale at t-mobile?
    I went to the T-Mobile store this past Friday and just BY CHANCE I saw two charging cradles on the clearance table. I got both the ones for the Pearl and Curve for $7. I have to go back to the T-Mo store today to FINALLY buy my Pearl Flip and see if they have another cradle for the Pearl. So I'll check and keep you posted.
    12-15-08 06:38 AM
    I love the charging cradle. If you use "Bedside Mode" with it, its a pretty nice little clock. And it looks alot nicer on my night stand than just plugging the phone in and having it laying about...
    So you say you love the cradle ... does yours fit any better than how I explained mine? It's nothing like other cradles I've used, you have to make sure it's leaning back at the correct angle and it's not leaning to the left or the right in order for it to make contact with the charging nubs??

I would expect it to kind of "drop" into the cradle and hold it relatively in place but it's not like that at all.
    12-15-08 05:15 PM
    So you say you love the cradle ... does yours fit any better than how I explained mine? It's nothing like other cradles I've used, you have to make sure it's leaning back at the correct angle and it's not leaning to the left or the right in order for it to make contact with the charging nubs??

I would expect it to kind of "drop" into the cradle and hold it relatively in place but it's not like that at all.
    I have not had this issue. Mine sits in there kinda leaning back, which is the design of it. This is the 2nd cradle I have owned. My first was for my 8120. It works the same way.
    12-15-08 05:28 PM
    So I just got the charging pod delivered yesterday ... it does not charge by induction, there are 2 contact points that touch the phone right where you release the battery cover.

I don't know how this pod works for other BB models but the design for the Flip is horrible IMHO. The phone sits down inside this cradle but there is nothing to hold it in place. It does not sit completely inside the cradle, rather it "teeter's" along the top of the cradle. The phone can rock left or right and lose contact with the charging contact points.

Maybe I received a preliminary model or something. It does use the micro USB charger connection and appears to be too small for anything other than the Pearl or the Flip. It almost seems like they took the same exact design from the Pearl cradle and swapped out the mini-USB for a micro-USB charging connection *shrug*.

I'm thinking about sending it back, I bought it through buydotcom for $13.29. It came with a little instruction paper that showed a picture of a flip but it just doesn't seem to fit like I think it should

Anyone else get this and experience the same?
    Can you post a picture of your phone sitting in the cradle (front and back if possible)? Thanks.

12-16-08 12:53 AM
    Okay now the cradle is charging the phone but BB manager won't connect as long as it though the cradle?
    01-26-09 07:19 PM
    Okay now the cradle is charging the phone but BB manager won't connect as long as it though the cradle?
    Thats because the cradle is only meant for charging. It doesnt have any data connection to the phone. If you look at the cradle, you will see 2 metal prongs. Those match up with the 2 metal pieces on the back of your BB, where the battery latch is.
    01-26-09 07:32 PM
    Thats because the cradle is only meant for charging. It doesnt have any data connection to the phone.
    WTF!?

That totally defeats the purpose of purchasing the cradle to begin with. Have the thing linked to my pc for an extended period of time but not be able to transfer/sync data, if anybody wants a cradle for a 8220 Flip there should be one in a glad garbage bag heading towards a landfill.
    01-26-09 09:28 PM
    WTF!?

That totally defeats the purpose of purchasing the cradle to begin with. Have the thing linked to my pc for an extended period of time but not be able to transfer/sync data, if anybody wants a cradle for a 8220 Flip there should be one in a glad garbage bag heading towards a landfill.
    Thats why its called a CHARGING cradle. If you want a cradle that syncs, buy non-OEM. I love my charging cradle. Looks great on my night stand, not in a landfill...
    01-26-09 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD