My father owns a blackberry bold. He forgot to charge it overnight and the battery was almost dead, so he found another microUSB-A/C cord at work. It was NOT a blackberry brand cord. However he plugged it in, assuming it would charge.

From what I was told, it seemed to work for awhile, but when he unplugged the Blackberry, it would no longer power on and the light is now blinking between red and green.

Did he totally fry his blackberry? Or is there any hope to resurrect it?
    09-22-09 02:25 PM
    I use non BB chargers all the time. I have an AC charger and a car charger that came with my Jabra bluetooth headset, and have always charged my BB with them, never had this kind of problem.
    09-22-09 02:30 PM
    It depends. sometimes cheap chargers can ruin ur battery or your phone..
    It could just be ur battery got messed up..

try pluggin ur BB to ur PC with a USB cord and see if your computer will recognize it..

either way, try to go through warranty and get a replacement phone.
    09-22-09 02:33 PM
    He just called me and told me that he remembered the whole blackberry and battery pull thing. He pulled the battery and now things seem to be working okay.

Having said that, I think I want to find him a quality charger that he can store at work.
    09-22-09 03:19 PM
    battery pulls usually fix everything lol

and what I usually do at work is I plug my phone in the computer thru a USB cable and it charges that way...

you can also get a Blackberry charger off the web if you want to stay with the original blackberry brand chargers, which is a smart thing to do.

good luck
    09-22-09 03:59 PM
    .......seems a battery pull is 95% of what a blackberry technical support rep needs to be able to instruct users to do!

The remaining 5% is a little more challenging.
    09-22-09 05:14 PM
    I find the moto razr charger works. Saved me from buying a new car igo adapter!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 05:24 PM
    god i dont even know where my car charger came from, all i know is that it charges the bb just fine *knocks on wood*
    09-22-09 08:13 PM
    My five dollar car charger works just fine.
    09-22-09 08:19 PM
    The blackberry has a mini-usb port, which is part of the USB-IF standard. Any cable which follows that standard will (must) work fine.
    09-22-09 11:03 PM
    I find the moto razr charger works. Saved me from buying a new car igo adapter!

I tried that before and it worked. However I found that if your battery is totally drained down to zero percent, only the OEM charger will give it life.

09-23-09 05:14 AM
    The blackberry has a mini-usb port, which is part of the USB-IF standard. Any cable which follows that standard will (must) work fine.
    Assuming its attached to a charger that puts out 5 volts, which is what the BB requires to charge properly. I'm not sure all chargers with mini-USB ports put out 5 volts.
    09-23-09 07:45 AM
    Assuming its attached to a charger that puts out 5 volts, which is what the BB requires to charge properly. I'm not sure all chargers with mini-USB ports put out 5 volts.
    USB is always 5 V. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. Like I said before, if they actually follow the USB standard they will put out 5 V and work fine.
    09-23-09 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD