I didn't post this in the Tour problems thread, cause it's not really a problem, and it's not really with the Tour. I've noticed my charging cable makes a high pitched noise, when it's plugged in to an outlet.

I do realize that I'm a bit of a freak, and happen to have incredibly sensitive hearing, but it's driving me nuts. Anyone else notice anything? It's like a dog whistle but I can hear it!
    07-15-09 11:45 PM
    I haven't noticed mine do this, But I would take caution if I was you! lol
    You shouldn't be able to hear it, I'd imagine
    07-15-09 11:47 PM
    What do you mean "It's not really with the Tour?"
    07-15-09 11:49 PM
    @Brian: yeah, my hearing is what I have going for me, being a musician and all, unfortunately I end up hearing stuff other people don't.

@david: it's not really the phone itself, it's the charger that makes the noise.
    07-15-09 11:52 PM
    I've noticed that my rechargeable razor makes the same sort of noise while charging... in my experience, the only time i've had to worry about a high pitched noise is when its not really "high pitched", and then i smell that electronic burning smell....

But in all honesty, i would head over to Verizon and get a new charger.
    07-16-09 12:02 AM
    No way man, they'll tell me I'm crazy cause probably no one else hears it. I'll look rreeaalllyy dumb in there "what, you guys don't hear that??? It's like a 16Khz frequency that's constant!! You don't hear it??"
    07-16-09 12:06 AM
    Yeah your right.... Does it get warm to the touch when its NOT plugged into the Tour?
    07-16-09 12:07 AM
    Ahhhhh mine does it too for the 8900 and my charger sits behind my head at night (its on my headboard) and I can hear it and it drives me nuts! It stops when you plug in the phone, but its annoying none the less....my theory is that since its plugged into an outlet, it has energy running through iit which has nowhere to go and nothing to do so it turns into soundwaves....but I could just be a looney haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 12:08 AM
    Dunno, and it's plugged in now, and it's slightly warm, not alarmingly so. I'll check it out tomorrow w/o it plugged in to the device.
    07-16-09 12:09 AM
    Ahhhhh mine does it too for the 8900 and my charger sits behind my head at night (its on my headboard) and I can hear it and it drives me nuts! It stops when you plug in the phone, but its annoying none the less....my theory is that since its plugged into an outlet, it has energy running through iit which has nowhere to go and nothing to do so it turns into soundwaves....but I could just be a looney haha

That's exactly what happens----all I wanted to know is that there's two of us in the world. I don't like being TOO unique.
    07-16-09 12:10 AM
    Haha yeah I notice it with ALL my electonics ... My printer when its no pluged into my computer, my old tv that did it when it was on....I just think its cus there constant energy running through it....but it drives me insane nonetheless haha

07-16-09 12:12 AM
    Get down!!! It's gonna blow!!!

07-16-09 12:14 AM
    Haha yeah I notice it with ALL my electonics ... My printer when its no pluged into my computer, my old tv that did it when it was on....I just think its cus there constant energy running through it....but it drives me insane nonetheless haha

I hear all of this as well -_-

including the noise from the charger.. only when unplugged
    07-16-09 01:29 AM
    My Voyager (ugh) has done this for the almost 2 years I've had it. Even the phone itself makes a buzzing sound now.
    07-16-09 01:35 AM
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my husband and I spent way too much money on our phones to put up with the amount of crap we have had to, over the last several months. Here is a rundown of the "black cloud"(BB Curve) that has been following us around.

We bought our phones and 6-7 weeks later my husbands track ball would only go left to right. Replaced brand new phone for refurbished phone. Around the same time mine wouldn't charge via wall outlet only by computer. (It wasn't the charger because we tried my husband’s charger, which charges his just fine, and it doesn't even recognize it.) Quite annoying. A couple of months later my husband’s phone stopped charging all together. Replaced battery and still wouldn't work. Once again had to replace the phone. My phone randomly turns off at the most inconvenient times. Now my husbands 3rd phone has the most ridiculous problems. Keyboard will not light up. Camera and video camera won't work. Battery light stays on red or green no matter how much battery charge it has. My phone freezes up daily, and get this; we haven't even bought any additional apps or software to screw ours up.

The main reason I am complaining, I absolutely love the idea of a blackberry, but how ridiculous for such an expensive, intelligent, and well known device to have so many kinks that did not get worked out in production.

I have had more cell phones than birthdays. I am not an *****. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined I would have so many problems from a product that is loved by so many. Of all the cell phones I have owned (cheap and expensive) the BLACKBERRY 8330 CURVE has been the most inconvenient, the most hassle, and the most annoying piece of technology I have ever owned.

OHHHH I also forgot to add that neither one of our phones lock functions work. So yes we are **** dialing. makes me livid
    I can't believe you can't write bu double t on here
    07-16-09 01:37 AM
    I was walking around in my bedroom and heard a high pitch noise. I trace it down tot he charger and i remember this thread. Did anyone try to have verizon send you a new charger or gone to the store to replace them?
    07-26-09 12:44 AM
    The exact same thing happened to me today. Same question from me.
    09-14-09 12:32 AM
    TOTALLY GET WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. I get that noise when my torch is plugged into the charger and the charger to the wall. So annoying when I am doing work at my desk or trying to sleep.
    11-08-10 03:45 AM
    I have noticed this with many of my chargers; a Toshiba laptop charger, my Pearl charger, a friend's 3DS charger and all but one of my AC2USB adapters. Oddly the USB adapters that make the noise are only 3rd party ones (2 Hip Streets and one Coby) while the same type of adapter that came with my LG Xenon a year or two ago doesn't have this problem.

I also noticed that it only happens when no electricity is being used, meaning either the phone not plugged in at all or plugged in but battery full and not charging. Powering a device alone from the charger (running on ac alone with no battery) rids the noise too.

The Toshiba and 3DS charger also seem to change frequency of the noise every 5 seconds or so, this I assume is to "trickle charge" it and keep the battery at 100% all the time.

Hmm...
    Last edited by nos3us; 05-02-11 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
    05-02-11 08:17 PM
    I have noticed this with many of my chargers; a Toshiba laptop charger, my Pearl charger, a friend's 3DS charger and all but one of my AC2USB adapters. Oddly the USB adapters that make the noise are only 3rd party ones (2 Hip Streets and one Coby) while the same type of adapter that came with my LG Xenon a year or two ago doesn't have this problem.

I also noticed that it only happens when no electricity is being used, meaning either the phone not plugged in at all or plugged in but battery full and not charging. Powering a device alone from the charger (running on ac alone with no battery) rids the noise too.

The Toshiba and 3DS charger also seem to change frequency of the noise every 5 seconds or so, this I assume is to "trickle charge" it and keep the battery at 100% all the time.

Hmm...
    I have one of the new BlackBerry "fixed prong" chargers, and both the one I bought from Amazon, and the one that came with my device make a high pitched noise. I've asked about it, and it's just normal operation for the charger. It has something to do with the fact that it's retaining a certain amount of charge in the unit itself, when you connect your device, the power is passed to your device, and the noise stops.

This also happens on the latest batch of iPhone 4 chargers from Apple.
    05-05-11 03:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD